Has the city lost it's mind... | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has the city lost it's mind...

There a lot to see in Toronto if you’ve never been to Toronto, and great concerts and a chance to see major league sports . Visit Rome or Barcelona or Lima , then tell me Toronto has traffic and crowds .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it? I dunno why people would come to visit Toronto, unless it's to visit family or friends. Otherwise it's pretty dull there is nothing really to see and do. And the construction is mind numbing. All weekend I was criss crossing the 401 and stuck in traffic both directions on multiple days, just a disaster.
That’s because you’re from here. Typically we don’t see our own home area as a tourist destination.

CN Tower, Ripleys, museums, Eaton Centre, Kensington, St Lawrence, Islands, Niagara, Queen St, and a host of other spots are still bringing in tourists.

To me…Niagara Falls is just some water falling over an edge…to visitors it’s a wonderful destination.

It all comes down to what you’re used to.

Last edited:
When family and friends come to visit, downtown is never on the to do list. There is nothing unique about toronto thats worth dealing with the headache of getting around. Niagara, Grand bend, Blue Mountain, Tha kawarthas and even out to Kingstown is where I take them. Most of the time a quick trip to Montreal and the Caribbean too. I avoid downtown like the plague.

When family and friends come to visit, downtown is never on the to do list. There is nothing unique about toronto thats worth dealing with the headache of getting around. Niagara, Grand bend, Blue Mountain, Tha kawarthas and even out to Kingstown is where I take them. Most of the time a quick trip to Montreal and the Caribbean too. I avoid downtown like the plague.
When our family comes in from Poland, the first thing they want to see is the CN Tower, and then Eatons Shopping Centre.

They'll come in and blow a ton of money considering that it's so much cheaper than the same product in Poland. So they come in with 1 suitcase, and go home with 3-4 suitcases each (they'll buy the suitcases here as they're cheaper).

Funny part is how small they think Canada is. 'Hey MP, we're gonna be there for 2 weeks. Think we can do a quick road trip out to Vancouver and back in that time? We'd also like to see Halifax, Cape Breton, Quebec City, and Calgary. Let us know how much time that'll take.'

The visit ends within the confines of Algonquin Park (are we there yet?) in the north, Niagara Falls in the south, and maybe Montreal in the east.

They measure distances in kms...we measure in hours.

8-10hours there, and I can hit the other side of the country from my home town. 12hrs and I can effectively cross Poland.

That’s because you’re from here. Typically we don’t see our own home area as a tourist destination.

CN Tower, Ripleys, museums, Eaton Centre, Kensington, St Lawrence, Islands, Niagara, Queen St, and a host of other spots are still bringing in tourists.

To me…Niagara Falls is just some water falling over an edge…to visitors it’s a wonderful destination.

It all comes down to what you’re used to.
Yeah I'm use to this been dull as heck... :LOL:

Niagara is the only place people really come to see when they visit Toronto. It's also kinda lively as well.

I just had friends in from out of town, here for a wedding. She is originally from TO, but husband and kids are not. They hit up Niagara and the Aquarium, which were the 2 things the kids found interesting. But the rest of the time it was checking out ethic restaurants. They are from a small town. No interest for anything else, and there wasn't anything going on in Toronto, nadda, 🤷‍♂️

Had other family in town years ago from Europe for a wedding. Some of them had been here before but none for a wedding, let's say they were less impressed with the church or reception, when you compare to the places they have in Europe. Then they asked to see some of Canada's famed nature. Told them it's an hour or 2 out of the city. Nope, we ended up in Niagara.

We have some nice things you've listed them all on 1 hand. That's maybe 2 days. The city also doesn't come alive unless a sports team gets close to the finals. Otherwise there really isn't anything going on here. Just routine BS.

I was in Spain in April. On the Sunday in Madrid, perfect weather. There always seems to be a lot of random entertainment going on, or things. Maybe it's not all random, not sure. Anyhow I finished my breakfast at a cafe as I left I was greeted by a seniors marching band. I followed them to the main plaza were several more joined in. Stayed for a bit then headed over to the main park, Retro. Massive, beautiful park in the city. Again there were several street bands playing throughout the park, playing all kinds of music. I know we have several festivals and stuff, but they seem to be all crammed in for 2 months in the summer, then nothing. Where as in Europe I see and experience stuff like this all the time.

Niagara Falls is just some water falling over an edge…to visitors it’s a wonderful destination.
3 edges (Niagara, American, and Bridal Veil). If you like them so much, go to Hamilton. they have 95 of them.

images

Niagara is the only place people really come to see when they visit Toronto. It's also kinda lively as well.

I just had friends in from out of town, here for a wedding. She is originally from TO, but husband and kids are not. They hit up Niagara and the Aquarium, which were the 2 things the kids found interesting. But the rest of the time it was checking out ethic restaurants. They are from a small town. No interest for anything else, and there wasn't anything going on in Toronto, nadda, 🤷‍♂️

Had other family in town years ago from Europe for a wedding. Some of them had been here before but none for a wedding, let's say they were less impressed with the church or reception, when you compare to the places they have in Europe. Then they asked to see some of Canada's famed nature. Told them it's an hour or 2 out of the city. Nope, we ended up in Niagara.

We have some nice things you've listed them all on 1 hand. That's maybe 2 days. The city also doesn't come alive unless a sports team gets close to the finals. Otherwise there really isn't anything going on here. Just routine BS.

I was in Spain in April. On the Sunday in Madrid, perfect weather. There always seems to be a lot of random entertainment going on, or things. Maybe it's not all random, not sure. Anyhow I finished my breakfast at a cafe as I left I was greeted by a seniors marching band. I followed them to the main plaza were several more joined in. Stayed for a bit then headed over to the main park, Retro. Massive, beautiful park in the city. Again there were several street bands playing throughout the park, playing all kinds of music. I know we have several festivals and stuff, but they seem to be all crammed in for 2 months in the summer, then nothing. Where as in Europe I see and experience stuff like this all the time.
If someone triend an impromptu parade here, cops would be all over them for blocking traffic and by-law would be handing out noise tickets and tickets for no event permit.

3 edges (Niagara, American, and Bridal Veil). If you like them so much, go to Hamilton. they have 95 of them.

images
I love Hamilton and their trails to waterfalls. Hoping to take the eldest this summer once I finish up this insulation project.

Have a look at a Bruce trail map. Waterfalls everywhere.

There's falls along the entire escarpment, but there's a cluster of them in the "crook" in the escarpment - Stony Creek, Hamilton, Ancaster, Dundas, Waterdown. Depending on your definition of a waterfall, there's 90-95 of them just in that 10 mile radius.

Here's a dedicated website.

Plan carefully. They learned from other municipalities and started charging a bundle for parking at certain lots/times.

Pretty much every park in Hamilton that is more than a slide and a swing set subdivision park is pay + display...........because Hamilton.

I love Hamilton and their trails to waterfalls. Hoping to take the eldest this summer once I finish up this insulation project.
My milk run for the bike started being fun at York Road and Hwy 6, through Dundas, Sulphur Springs, Mineral Springs then the cuts in Hamilton and on to Ridge Road. A bite to eat at Memphis Fire and back via alternate roads. Not as much fun if you have a roof over you.

My cousin from Yellowknife was amazed that Niagara Falls was in the middle of the city. Most falls are remote.

Plan carefully. They learned from other municipalities and started charging a bundle for parking at certain lots/times.
We were planning a ride and there were no exceptions for bikes that could park four in a car space. Some were $10+ flat rate and all you wanted to do is take a five minute peek. No thanks.

The last time I was at Niagara parking was free at the Dufferin Islands, a bit of a hike to the falls but pleasant.

Toronto: Historic site = Europe: New subdivision.

As i recall someone in the Star did some undercover investigative journalism and lived on the streets for 3-6 months. They found a large majority of the homeless spent the money on drugs and alcohol. I'll buy them food quite often, but I've never given cash since.
It used to be just trailer trash white guys but now I see women and people of every race and religion. Need gas money etc.

"If you love the smell of pee, Visit Toronto." This has always been my statement when people ask if it worth visiting.
But it's expending quickly to other cities in the GTA.

Back
Top Bottom