Gas Prices ... | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas Prices ...

• Thread starter Deleted member 50930
  • Start date
they don't use full size pickups to move two kids and soccer equipment.

I drove a 8cyl. F150 Crew Cab with a 6.5' box for the last ten years...
'Was it a pig on gas..?
Yes... Around town in suburban traffic it was, but on the highway clippin' along at 110kmh fully loaded with the family and all our crap heading up the 400 for a cottage weekend or three dudes and all our shooting gear zipping down any US Interstate at 55mph it burned no more fuel than my wife's Honda Pilot.
Truth be told... I didn't mind the gas $$... For me in my life the convenience of having a large cargo-able vehicle was worth it.
Small cars only win on fuel consumption. You can't take a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Fit on a hunting trip.

I lived in the UK and have relatives still there. $30 a month for car insurance, $30 a month for a big cc bike is what my uncle pays. My car insurance is almost 8x that and Ive never been in an accident (20y exp). $720 a year over there vs $4000 here. Thats with a 12 month riding season vs 7 here.
All very interesting but doesn't change the price of fuel.

Arab oil embargo for some political purpose. I'm not sure they're happy with the result long term with all the fracking in the west.
Or maybe they are. A big fracking triggered quake is due and that could be the end of it taking place anywhere near civilization.

How can you have any sympathy for folks in big p/u trucks. Gas is a finite resource. It was never really going to go down for any length of time.
Don't forget the other oil products, mainly plastics. Anyone want to go back to glass shampoo bottles for the shower?

Even electric vehicles need a few drops of oil and grease, and lots of plastic. Much of the plastic is hard to recycle.

Don't forget the other oil products, mainly plastics. Anyone want to go back to glass shampoo bottles for the shower?

Even electric vehicles need a few drops of oil and grease, and lots of plastic. Much of the plastic is hard to recycle.
We'd be pooched without plastics I agree.

Thing is... You're not.
'Sure... You're tail pipe may not be emitting, but... Do you think they're using electric equipment to mine all the resources needed to make those poisonous batteries. That e-car isn't going to last long enough to ever break even on the energy and resources used and the pollution created to manufacture it.
The electric car is the biggest virtue signaling scam in a long time...
Mining resources are not using electric equipment yet, they mostly use kids.

I suspect your point is the net carbon impact of an e-car is not zero. I will agree with that, it takes resources to mine and process raw materials for batteries. I know Facebook scientists have proven ev carbon economics to be impossible, but think about it for a second... The entire battery for an e-car currently costs $140/kWh to produce, so the total cost for an Iconiq battery would be around $140X40kwh or $5600. Materials represent 1/2 the cost of a battery, if fuel @$4/gallon was the only input to material costs, the total fuel needed to make 1 Iconiq battery would <700 gallons. That means an Iconiq would have to travel about 20,000 miles to cover the fuel used to manufacture its battery. Considering that's about 1/10th of the vehicle's intended life... the other 180,000 miles would be at a substantially reduced carbon output.

Now consider the cost of batteries has dropped from >$200/kWh to $137 in a couple of years, and that it's forecast to be around $60/kWh in 4 years. That takes the miles traveled to less than 8,000 to break even.

I drove a 8cyl. F150 Crew Cab with a 6.5' box for the last ten years...
'Was it a pig on gas..?
Yes... Around town in suburban traffic it was, but on the highway clippin' along at 110kmh fully loaded with the family and all our crap heading up the 400 for a cottage weekend or three dudes and all our shooting gear zipping down any US Interstate at 55mph it burned no more fuel than my wife's Honda Pilot.
Truth be told... I didn't mind the gas $$... For me in my life the convenience of having a large cargo-able vehicle was worth it.
Small cars only win on fuel consumption. You can't take a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Fit on a hunting trip.
I have always had both a car and a truck, the truck because I like having a truck and need it regularly for this and that. My Dodge RAM 1500 uses about 15l/100km, my Chev Cruze 1.4t about 6l/100km. I drive around 25,000km a year, which would be about 3750l ($5250@$1.40/l) in the truck, or 1500l ($2100) in the car. I drive the car 21K km/year and the truck only when I need a truck which is about 4K km/year. By driving the car instead of the truck, I save 900l/$1300/year in fuel.

I don't know very many urban dwellers who need a giant SUV or pickup truck as a daily driver.

Reminds me of young guys buying hot cars to impress chicks (I was one of them):

- I’m gonna pick up so much ass with this car
- you know the only people impressed will be young kids and adult men right?
- you don’t know **** old man
FF 2 years
- so how many chicks did you score with that car?
- eff you man. I need something faster.

Anyone remember this classic commercial?

I have an F150 4dr as my daily driver, its about 12L/100 and while not the cheapest thing to own, what the F would I do with a corolla ? I can move stuff on my schedule , pull trailers , take 5 people in comfort, dog loves the view, and in 5 yrs will have value to somebody.

And my kids live in Ft Mac so i have a moral obligation to burn gas . Lots of gas.

Until she drives it.

Tall, comfortable, roomy, fairly efficient….honestly outside of the stigma of vans, I don’t see any negatives. But that’s me…and millions of others.

Not to mention Dan Gurney approved.

I have an F150 4dr as my daily driver, its about 12L/100 and while not the cheapest thing to own, what the F would I do with a corolla ? I can move stuff on my schedule , pull trailers , take 5 people in comfort, dog loves the view, and in 5 yrs will have value to somebody.

And my kids live in Ft Mac so i have a moral obligation to burn gas . Lots of gas.
If it was a RAM 1500 you could pull big trailers, and in 10 years it will still have value to sombody.

Anyone remember this classic commercial?

I do not but I grew up driving my parent's minivan

All that leg room + having a license before many others + usually only having 1 passenger......GOOD TIMES!!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom