Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 231 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

😆 booby traps are illegal, if some neighbours kid or pet touches it you may be in a world of hurt.
So put up signs? Squirrels/raccoons can't read nor interpret pictograms.

il_794xN.3270373542_pnom.jpg

images

😆 booby traps are illegal, if some neighbours kid or pet touches it you may be in a world of hurt.

Arnie in Red Heat "Ve shoot dem first"

Seriously, unless one can come up with a non lethal but deterring voltage it's not a good idea. I don't know about electric fences for cattle or how they work / are allowed.

Arnie in Red Heat "Ve shoot dem first"

Seriously, unless one can come up with a non lethal but deterring voltage it's not a good idea. I don't know about electric fences for cattle or how they work / are allowed.
They hurt but I've never heard of them killing someone. Hopefully the energizer his buddy built is set for goat and not cow. The poor squirrel. I'm not sure how well it would do with a big hit.

So put up signs? Squirrels/raccoons can't read nor interpret pictograms.

il_794xN.3270373542_pnom.jpg

images
Points of view: By posting that sign it indicates the owner is aware of a high risk situation.

I don't know the regs either for a situation, friend of friend thing, where he got permission to shoot coywolves trying to get into his chicken coop.

They hurt but I've never heard of them killing someone. Hopefully the energizer his buddy built is set for goat and not cow. The poor squirrel. I'm not sure how well it would do with a big hit.
I have an insulation tester that puts out 1000 volts D.C. but the circuit is such that it won't allow more than a few milliamps, less than fatal for most. Pacemaker wearers may have different results. Hook it up to a capacitor and it may be different. You'd get hit by the discharge from the capacitor.

I'll have to check the specs on my Hipot. I can dial up the voltage from near zero to 2500 but it has, in effect, a ground fault trip.

Probably won't bother the squirrels as they would have to be grounded to get a shock. Electric fence is not lethal high volt low amp it hurts a bit but not a big deal.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I have an insulation tester that puts out 1000 volts D.C. but the circuit is such that it won't allow more than a few milliamps, less than fatal for most. Pacemaker wearers may have different results. Hook it up to a capacitor and it may be different. You'd get hit by the discharge from the capacitor.

I'll have to check the specs on my Hipot. I can dial up the voltage from near zero to 2500 but it has, in effect, a ground fault trip.
I used a HiPot when I worked on the railway. I wanted one here years ago for something and the local electronics guys didn't know what it was. Just handed me their meter, and said put it on "tone".

Probably won't bother the squirrels as they would have to be grounded to get a shock. Electric fence is not lethal high volt low amp it hurts a bit but not a big deal.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I'll probably run the "earth" as a separate line of wire about 4 inches from the live. Far enough apart that birds can't bridge it, but rodents will. I'll probably need to shut it off if it's raining as it may conduct through the water. I believe the circuit he built has some adjustment, so I may need to tweak it to prevent lethality. I think it's better than my previous option of lead injection. I still keep the traps out as well so they can choose the option of going for a car ride to a nice field a kilometer away.

Last edited:
Cattle fence , low amps , gives a good kick when touched . Home made gizmo? That just sounds like a lot of maintenance and issues , even a real farm fence starts the get wonky if a wet bush leans onto it .

Fun farm thing, grab your buddies hand , then grab the electric fence . You become a capacitor and buddy gets zapped large , you feel almost nothing . Get 3-4 people in a row and the guy on the end will almost buckle at the knees . Cousins from the city hated us .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Cattle fence , low amps , gives a good kick when touched . Home made gizmo? That just sounds like a lot of maintenance and issues , even a real farm fence starts the get wonky if a wet bush leans onto it .

Fun farm thing, grab your buddies hand , then grab the electric fence . You become a capacitor and buddy gets zapped large , you feel almost nothing . Get 3-4 people in a row and the guy on the end will almost buckle at the knees . Cousins from the city hated us .

Were you in my grade eight science class? I don't think they'd let you do that anymore.

Home made and you can't shift blame to the manufacturer.

A manufacturer wanted me to make some instruments for them and I was concerned that one of the idiots they hired would fry himself. My lawyer said to sell them kits. That dumped the liability on them.

CP was late delivering the one-way door. It arrived today. Built the chute and installed it with the door. The bastard (*****?) was right there while I was doing it. I was praying it didn't come flying out. Steep roof two floors up meant I only got three screws in the chute. That was dodgy enough, my ladder isn't tall enough to break over the second floor and give me something to climb so the last screw was sitting on the roof with a foot in the eavestrough to stop sliding. Not fun.

It's a lesson that would stick. What else can you remember from your grade eight science class?
Thinking back, that was Metal shop and not science. he had us all hold hands, in a chain.
Then again he used to spend his evenings helping kids weld extended front forks onto their bicycles.
iu

Wood shop we were just shown all the holes in the ceiling tiles where all of the lathe chisels had gone through and come back down.
In grade 11 physics, the teacher had a Van der Graaff generator, which blew one of the smartasses across the room when he let go.

Had a mom raccoon get into our poolhouse by pulling off a vent that's in an awkward spot.
She and the babies stayed in the rafters, and remarkably tended to **** in the same spot.
There was a 3 foot mountain when we managed to evict them.
They managed to dig a hole in the floor where it had been a little wet.
Had racoons get in 3 times, once in the pool bar - they got above the ceiling, ate a 2x4 foot of OSB thru to the shingles.

Then they ripped open some soffit into a dormer into the second story of my garage. Destroyed wiring, had to gut the drywall and insulation in roof, and replace the aluminum soffit as they were so fat they dented the stuff as they walked thru. $10k to repair that mess, ins said no - apparently you have to notice them immediately for a damage claim.

I'm diligent in checking every few days now.

They are easy to catch, and you can dispatch them if they are damaging property. Wife says no to that so I relocate them to a nice spot 1km away on the south side of the 407.

Thinking back, that was Metal shop and not science. he had us all hold hands, in a chain.
Then again he used to spend his evenings helping kids weld extended front forks onto their bicycles.
iu

Wood shop we were just shown all the holes in the ceiling tiles where all of the lathe chisels had gone through and come back down.
In grade 11 physics, the teacher had a Van der Graaff generator, which blew one of the smartasses across the room when he let go.
I had a steel fork that did that. I was confused for a bit as to why the brakes kept needing adjustment and then why it wasn't possible for the pads to hit the rim. Thankfully, I got smarter before I got dumped.

Had racoons get in 3 times, once in the pool bar - they got above the ceiling, ate a 2x4 foot of OSB thru to the shingles.

Then they ripped open some soffit into a dormer into the second story of my garage. Destroyed wiring, had to gut the drywall and insulation in roof, and replace the aluminum soffit as they were so fat they dented the stuff as they walked thru. $10k to repair that mess, ins said no - apparently you have to notice them immediately for a damage claim.

I'm diligent in checking every few days now.

They are easy to catch, and you can dispatch them if they are damaging property. Wife says no to that so I relocate them to a nice spot 1km away on the south side of the 407.
I'm not doing the relocation for now. One way trap door is first step. I wasn't really excited about lowering a ****** off raccoon in a cage through a hatch while I was standing on a ladder. My wife said conibears were not an acceptable solution. Hopefully it bothers someone else. Hell, I can rent them my one-way door.

I knocked a few feet off the cedars. Now the only way onto the roof is climb the house and get around a ~16" soffit plus eavestrough. They are tricky buggers, they can probably do it but it wont be easy.

Last edited:
I used to relocated them from the live trap into a large Home Depot tote full of water . No I do not feel bad about my decision. I never moved the same coon twice .

Back
Top Bottom