Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 229 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I suspect in 2022 dollars that system would be 9 grand ish

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I remember in looking at a set of custom fit, hand carved mahogany entrance doors and thinking who would ever pay $4grand for a couple of doors?

I might still do that, I checked Nick's Doors and the prices seem to be vlost to what they were 10 years ago.

We looked a mahogany entrance doors in Roatan , you can only ship finished goods out of there not raw Mahog . Doors were $350 US , but the frieght back to Canada was $1000 ea .
And being in the Wood business , I’m never putting a wood exterior door on my house . Ever .

We looked a mahogany entrance doors in Roatan , you can only ship finished goods out of there not raw Mahog . Doors were $350 US , but the frieght back to Canada was $1000 ea .
And being in the Wood business , I’m never putting a wood exterior door on my house . Ever .

My house originally had 96"x32 solid cedar double doors, they were 40 years old and still in great shape when I off'd them. I changed because I didn't like the MCM style - vertically ribbed cedar with no lites.

Anyway, the door has gonna wait - I was just informed the next priority is new hardwood flooring. I've used the kids & dog as an excuse to defer it for 10 years -- it's either new floors or a new mattress for my motorcycle lift.

Is that because they warp? Or just heavy?

EDIT: Also...any idea of what we can expect from wood pricing in the next few months? Thinking of some projects at the cottage and trying to decide whether it's worth to wait or not?

1658168619985.png

Last edited:
2x lumber has stabilized, it will sit where it is for a while , plywood is still a bit rich but osb is pretty cheap . It’s the associated products that are hurting , shingles / windows/ plumbing stuff . When inflation curtails and we get a recession?? Maybe some relief .

We have too much seasonal movement for me to embrace a wood exterior door . There are some amazing weather stripping systems that can double gasket and allow movement , I just don’t want the hassles . Moisture moves wood , we live in the humidity capital of Canada

More front door set research , visited one very well known local shop , business manager was a goof, telling me the reinforcements are all steel ( it’s aluminum) I needed a multi point lock system, and mohogany grain and cherry grain are the same as those trees are in the same family. Right .
I asked if a multipoint lock makes any difference if they kick out the side light and just open the door ? The looked stunned.
Quote three was within $500 of quote 1 and I didnt think the product was any better , so bid 1 it is . I really don’t want to spend 9kish on a door but the really large transom window adds a fair amount . There goes this summers play money .

More front door set research , visited one very well known local shop , business manager was a goof, telling me the reinforcements are all steel ( it’s aluminum) I needed a multi point lock system, and mohogany grain and cherry grain are the same as those trees are in the same family. Right .
I asked if a multipoint lock makes any difference if they kick out the side light and just open the door ? The looked stunned.
Quote three was within $500 of quote 1 and I didnt think the product was any better , so bid 1 it is . I really don’t want to spend 9kish on a door but the really large transom window adds a fair amount . There goes this summers play money .

What hurts more the $9K or the guy thinking you're stupid enough to fall for his metallurgy and security BS?

The goof guy just made my head hurt. The business manager and he is making up stuff .
I sell wood material into his industry, I sort of know how LSL and strand board are engineered and utilized when you make a door .
Nothing sours me faster than a BS sales guy , being a career sales weasel myself.

FML….kid puked in the car after swimming today. How the hell do I get this smell out?

I got all the solids and liquids out but need to clean the carpets which aren’t removable.

Also I think there’s some left in the speaker mesh which is hard plastic.

FML….

FML….kid puked in the car after swimming today. How the hell do I get this smell out?

I got all the solids and liquids out but need to clean the carpets which aren’t removable.

FML….
Lol been there! Pull the entire cover off the booster seat and throw it in the wash.

For the car, two choices:
The carpet will come out, but only after the seats, trim, maybe seat belts etc. BLEGH

Otherwise, we swear by this stuff in our house and cars:
Spray liberally and scrub hard, it works!

Lol been there! Pull the entire cover off the booster seat and throw it in the wash.

The carpet will come out, but only after the seats, trim, maybe seat belts etc. BLEGH

I thought you put in weathertech? Thankfully tuxmat covered the hump so I just had to dump out the puke and wipe clean.

Thanks.

He got a touch of the booster, some of the carpet, and all of the speaker…

Plus he just puked up a storm literally 10min ago as I started typing this.

FML.

I thought you put in weathertech? Thankfully tuxmat covered the hump so I just had to dump out the puke and wipe clean.
I did….but it caught the back end of it and the lower portion of the seat.

Weathertech got the bulk of it thankfully.

FML….

Pull the front seats and the console and the carpet now becomes removable!

In all seriousness one of those little Bissel steam cleaners will work great. I have one and really like it.

If its in the speaker you might want to pull the door panel off and clean under it. Not hard to do.

Once puke dries , the smell mostly abates ( if thats any consolation ) , Speaker grills , get a tothebrush ( not yours) and a glass of soapy water and a shop vac, gently scrub the grill while running the shop vac to hoover up the puke remnants .

Once puke dries , the smell mostly abates ( if thats any consolation ) , Speaker grills , get a tothebrush ( not yours) and a glass of soapy water and a shop vac, gently scrub the grill while running the shop vac to hoover up the puke remnants .
For what it's worth an organic cartridge respirator eliminates the puke odour. Your kid may grow up with a complex but it keeps you from puking in unison. Also works on the diaper from hell.

Big guy got some virus or something. Was up puking all night long...might be from camp, or the fact those idiots took 5 years olds outside on the hottest day of the year...so some possible heat stroke.

The runs started this morning, so that's fun...but I picked up Pedialyte along with car cleaner / odour removers at Walmart and already did a first pass of the car...all before 7:30am!

Had to cancel a lunch meeting as if 1 kid gets it...the chances of the other 2 getting it are pretty damn high.

Big guy got some virus or something. Was up puking all night long...might be from camp, or the fact those idiots took 5 years olds outside on the hottest day of the year...so some possible heat stroke.

The runs started this morning, so that's fun...but I picked up Pedialyte along with car cleaner / odour removers at Walmart and already did a first pass of the car...all before 7:30am!

Had to cancel a lunch meeting as if 1 kid gets it...the chances of the other 2 getting it are pretty damn high.
May want to give him a RAT (nose and throat). Probably not covid but doesnt hurt to check.

Final cleanup of the puke car involved borrowing a friends bissell thing. Hot soapy water plus vacuum to get some of the schmoo out. Car smelled fine after.

Mother *&^&^*. Trap door on the way to evict. No obvious entry points. Found a spot where they had loosened the soffit so they could get in and out but the flap closed behind them so it wasn't visible.

WGI-0023.jpg

Back
Top Bottom