Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 82 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Pump motor runs when there’s nothing connected as such…

View attachment 49389

However as soon as I put on the top part it stops. It’s like it doesn’t have enough juice to rotate the impeller…

View attachment 49390

We’re thinking of just getting a rigid frame type of pool as the top ring of the inflatable has 7 pinholes in it that need to be patched.
If it's like a fish tank pump (and it looks like it might be), grab the impeller and pull up and you should get the impeller attached to a cylindrical magnet. Clean the magnet and cavity and reassemble.

If it's like a fish tank pump (and it looks like it might be), grab the impeller and pull up and you should get the impeller attached to a cylindrical magnet. Clean the magnet and cavity and reassemble.
Yes I did that. Took apart the entire thing and cleaned every bit.

what I think happened is it was run too long as it looks like the plastic on the bottom was melted. Now if it’s free of weight it bounced around. Soon as you add weight it can’t bounce or move around.

It could have been a slump test gone wrong.

After a large beer and watching true murder reruns on TV for what was left of yesterday the plans are to bore out the rotten wood and grout a 2 X 2 steel tube into the hole. Then clad the tube with pressure treated 1 X 4. Any other posts needing replacement will be dealt with by leveling the concrete and attaching post brackets on top. More large beers may be required.

There's nothing quite like watching several hours of ax murderers getting creative to stimulate a fresh approach. Just think of all those unproductive productivity meetings.
Update:

That didn't work either so I just kept with the original plan of hoisting the 300 pound lump of concrete out, eventually succeeding. Three hundred pounds isn't that big a deal. It's the fact that it's glued into a four foot deep clay socket that refuses to let go.

It may have helped that I eventually used a very long extension spade bit to drill numerous holes in the clay around the concrete. I had also thought of using a pressure washer to cut a circle around the lump. Very messy, mud wrestling a 300 pound concrete Sumo post.

I also learned that one can do soil vacuuming with a shop vac that has a long nozzle. It's not that back breaking if you have a spare week to take out a post base.

Now to set the new post.

Oooof....looks like I missed the boat. Thought the free pool would be great so didn't look at other options. The pool isn't really working out right now so wife got all excited we're buying a 12ft above ground...except the guy in front of her took the last 2 stock that CT had. Now no one else has it.

FML. No pool for us apparently. I'll try and fix this one up maybe can get it going.

EDIT: so if anyone is in CT and finds the 12x39” above ground pool please let me know. Or buy it and I’ll add $100 to the price for your troubles.

Last edited:
Don't feel like starting a new thread...but looking for advice / suggestions / help on a bicycle issue...yes yes not a house.

So basically I bought my wife a bike last year and with C19 the stock was garbage...but we needed a bike.

Anyway, she's got one of the CT bikes that were probably put together badly and it's a 7 speed (only on the rear wheel). The issue I'm finding is that the gear doesn't keep, and as I try to pedal the thing jumps from gear to gear on it's own.

Is there any way to fix this? She likes the frame, and the bike style suits her well, it's just this stupid gearing that's frustrating as hell. I tried the bike today and when it's in the middle gears (3 or 4) it seems fine. But any higher or lower, and the thing is fishing like a crazy person b/w gears as it decides what it wants to do.

If it helps, the gear selector is those that you rotate around the handlebar (makes sense?).

Don't feel like starting a new thread...but looking for advice / suggestions / help on a bicycle issue...yes yes not a house.

So basically I bought my wife a bike last year and with C19 the stock was garbage...but we needed a bike.

Anyway, she's got one of the CT bikes that were probably put together badly and it's a 7 speed (only on the rear wheel). The issue I'm finding is that the gear doesn't keep, and as I try to pedal the thing jumps from gear to gear on it's own.

Is there any way to fix this? She likes the frame, and the bike style suits her well, it's just this stupid gearing that's frustrating as hell. I tried the bike today and when it's in the middle gears (3 or 4) it seems fine. But any higher or lower, and the thing is fishing like a crazy person b/w gears as it decides what it wants to do.

If it helps, the gear selector is those that you rotate around the handlebar (makes sense?).
Thumbscrew on rear derailleur. Try a couple of clicks in one direction and see if it gets better or worse. Easiest to flip bike upside down and play with it that way until things seem ok, then take it for a ride and see if it still works under load.

Thumbscrew on rear derailleur. Try a couple of clicks in one direction and see if it gets better or worse. Easiest to flip bike upside down and play with it that way until things seem ok, then take it for a ride and see if it still works under load.
Thanks. Will take a look tomorrow after work. It's like a stupid CVT transmission that doesn't know if it's coming or going.

Yes I did that. Took apart the entire thing and cleaned every bit.

what I think happened is it was run too long as it looks like the plastic on the bottom was melted. Now if it’s free of weight it bounced around. Soon as you add weight it can’t bounce or move around.
When you say it runs, do you mean the impeller turns….fast? If it does then your issue is the priming. If there’s a way of forcing the water in the correct direction through the pump that should get it going. I clean out pumps like that all the time. I have three fountains in the garden and used to have a few in my fish tanks. Some would start easily, one in my garden requires me to spray a hose jet into the intake to get the water flowing to move the impeller. You might try that.

When you say it runs, do you mean the impeller turns….fast? If it does then your issue is the priming. If there’s a way of forcing the water in the correct direction through the pump that should get it going. I clean out pumps like that all the time. I have three fountains in the garden and used to have a few in my fish tanks. Some would start easily, one in my garden requires me to spray a hose jet into the intake to get the water flowing to move the impeller. You might try that.
The other option is a shop vac on the eyeball to pull through the pump while it is fully plumbed.

Almost forgot…the pump is only half the equation. If that’s a (sand ?) filter make sure your media isn’t clogged or it won’t do anything.

I do need a new AC and water heater…will be looking into it. Thanks!
My kid is an HVAC dealer, I asked him to order me a new 2.5ton AC unit -- he laughed and said by the time it arrives I'll need to dig snow away from the side of the house.

The contractor price on the unit is $900, a couple of local HVAC dealers that have units wanted $5K+ to install.

My kid is an HVAC dealer, I asked him to order me a new 2.5ton AC unit -- he laughed and said by the time it arrives I'll need to dig snow away from the side of the house.

The contractor price on the unit is $900, a couple of local HVAC dealers that have units wanted $5K+ to install.
Ya I’m sure it’s insane. Only reason I want/need a new AC is because this one appears to be getting louder. Still blows fine and is functional. Wife hates AC so we barely use it. Only on the hottest days.

Water heater….I just want to be done with the monthly rental.

Ya I’m sure it’s insane. Only reason I want/need a new AC is because this one appears to be getting louder. Still blows fine and is functional. Wife hates AC so we barely use it. Only on the hottest days.

The Mrs looks after the bills and it wasn't until recently I saw the rental cost for gas. I don't know if electric is feasible for us but no gas fitting is required and it can go anywhere, not needing venting.

Let me know how you get out of the rental. Pricks. Afaik, the only two ways out anymore are to buy it out (they want ~$1200 for our 10 year old tank) or wait for it to leak.

The Mrs looks after the bills and it wasn't until recently I saw the rental cost for gas. I don't know if electric is feasible for us but no gas fitting is required and it can go anywhere, not needing venting.
Heat pump hot water is good for many people if you have the space to put it. Much cheaper to run than straight electric.

Let me know how you get out of the rental. Pricks. Afaik, the only two ways out anymore are to buy it out (they want ~$1200 for our 10 year old tank) or wait for it to leak.
I called them once and lost it because they refused to answer the question on how to cancel the contract. Not sure how this **** is legal.

@nobbie48 electric is great but isn’t it stupid expensive to heat water with? Or are you just looking for heating up the air?

Does he want to do a job near barrie? No rush. Existing works but is probably low on charge as it can run from dawn to dusk without cycling. 15 years old so paying a lot to get it refilled doesnt seem cost-effective.

I called them once and lost it because they refused to answer the question on how to cancel the contract. Not sure how this **** is legal.

@nobbie48 electric is great but isn’t it stupid expensive to heat water with? Or are you just looking for heating up the air?
You used to be able to pay $20 and return the heater. They got rid of that option long ago.

Last time I did it you had to drop it at the depot I believe they were open for approximately 8 minutes during the week. I changed to electric due to the cost between the the units 800 buys a lot of electricity.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Back
Top Bottom