Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 47 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I was going to mention check the slope but you have that figured out. 6" over 20ft is a LOT of water

I was going to mention check the slope but you have that figured out. 6" over 20ft is a LOT of water
Probably close to 11m^3 so about $40 of water. Some people got a truck to fill their rink but that eliminates the possibility of pouring in thin lifts and cant be cheaper.

IMG_20210112_114635.jpg

I built something. Spent a few weeks on this thing before actually driving a real car. I went onto the 404 with screeching tires because muscle memory lol (no speed limits were broken, for real, I drive a Corolla.) Had to slow the **** down on every corner entry after and remind myself "I am just getting groceries"

iRacing is pretty real.

EDIT: Also spent a lot of time role playing an American truck driver using this rig. I got so many tickets for running reds and speeding. Probably didn't help that I insisted on drinking alcohol while playing. And after all the times the trailer got stuck on some pole, or god forbid I try to enter a smaller gas station and clip the gas dispenser, I totally get the frustration of real life truck drivers! lol

Last edited:
That looks expensive, but really fun
You can do it for much less money but it won't be as realistic. I probably have the cheapest marginally ok force feedback wheel (Driving force GT circa 2007). It still works. Force feedback is a little notchy, no force feedback on the pedals, paddle shifters feel like you are bending a piece of plastic and only sequential gearshift (no gated shifter). That setup (wheel, shifter, pedals) cost less than any individual component of that good rig. I wanted to build up something good, but just couldn't justify the huge price jump for my use.

That looks expensive, but really fun

It's a lot cheaper, I mean magnitudes cheaper, than smashing a motorcycle at a race track lol

But yeah, it was around $3,000 CAD and 12~ hours of setup (for anyone interested.) This doesn't include the computer, VR headset, or software.

There's an upgrade path for this too into wheel bases that cost $2,000, and a motion platform system. Can also order more 4020 aluminum extrusion pieces to extend the sides into pivots and turn it into a X-Wing/Tie Fighter sim machine. Just giving this info out there for anyone that would be interested cause it isn't common knowledge.

The car club in Burlington has a couple F1 simulators that they say cost about 50k each, they are exactly like that ones the F1 series guys were using during the 'virtual races' last year.
Its crazy fun but i'm not sure I could throw 5-8k at a home version in good conscience.

However another lockdown in the fall and is going in my home office......LOL

But yeah, it was around $3,000 CAD and 12~ hours of setup (for anyone interested.) This doesn't include the computer, VR headset, or software.

One may soon be able to acquire this setup for cockpit style immersion! (pretty sure it will be in the $60k+range)
Announced at CES yesterday:

One may soon be able to acquire this setup for cockpit style immersion! (pretty sure it will be in the $60k+range)
Announced at CES yesterday:

Boo. Probably vaporware (at least as shown). I hate announcements that are renderings. Build it and show me that it's possible. I can't see the deployable screen making production, that is probably half the cost and super likely to fail and there is no need, you can just duck under (or raise a curved screen so you don't have to duck). Just complete hype with no substance.

Boo. Probably vaporware (at least as shown). I hate announcements that are renderings. Build it and show me that it's possible. I can't see the deployable screen making production, that is probably half the cost and super likely to fail and there is no need, you can just duck under (or raise a curved screen so you don't have to duck). Just complete hype with no substance.

It's Razer.

I don't wanna **** on Razer fans, but **** Razer lol

You can do it for much less money but it won't be as realistic. I probably have the cheapest marginally ok force feedback wheel (Driving force GT circa 2007). It still works. Force feedback is a little notchy, no force feedback on the pedals, paddle shifters feel like you are bending a piece of plastic and only sequential gearshift (no gated shifter). That setup (wheel, shifter, pedals) cost less than any individual component of that good rig. I wanted to build up something good, but just couldn't justify the huge price jump for my use.

Driving Force GT is amazing btw. That was my first wheel!

Last edited:
The good thing about having snow is about 10 man hours of labour later we have a flat pad (within an inch) and about 30% of the snow berm around the edge. Shoveled down to grass and then built the pad out of compacted snow. Shoveled about 750 sq ft of snow off the lawn to build up the pad. I'll give it a sprinkle of water tonight to firm it up but is it pretty solid already.

20210113-213133.jpg

The good thing about having snow is about 10 man hours of labour later we have a flat pad (within an inch) and about 30% of the snow berm around the edge. Shoveled down to grass and then built the pad out of compacted snow. Shoveled about 750 sq ft of snow off the lawn to build up the pad. I'll give it a sprinkle of water tonight to firm it up but is it pretty solid already.

20210113-213133.jpg
So my brother had a white tarp that we could use for most of the rink. Not quite big enough though so needed one seam to poly. Only have a 2" overlap and tuck tape is not really interested in sticking well. If this happens again, it will be a one piece liner. Currently have a couple lifts of water in freezing in the low spots and watered the seam to build up ice around it. Hopefully by this afternoon all current water will be frozen and I can seal the seam again and do another flood.

I gifted away the Murphy bed that was in my new office. Then had to fix all the screw holes and paint the room. It easy work but does drywall dust ever go away completely ??
I do drywall repairs with the low dust mud, it’s about half as messy and doesn’t create a lot of fine dust. I also bought a cheap Richards sanding head that connects to a shopvac. I put the vac outside and use a long pool vac suction hose. Works like a charm.

So my brother had a white tarp that we could use for most of the rink. Not quite big enough though so needed one seam to poly. Only have a 2" overlap and tuck tape is not really interested in sticking well. If this happens again, it will be a one piece liner. Currently have a couple lifts of water in freezing in the low spots and watered the seam to build up ice around it. Hopefully by this afternoon all current water will be frozen and I can seal the seam again and do another flood.
Acoustic sealer in a caulking tube is cheaper and easier that tape when seaming polyurethane or vinyl sheets.

Acoustic sealer in a caulking tube is cheaper and easier that tape when seaming polyurethane or vinyl sheets.
It's so messy. Trying to avoid that. I also don't have any in the garage. I had a few different brands of tuck tape. Real tuck tape sticks better than the stuff made in Canada. Supplies for backyard rink is not exactly an essential outing.

Our house has 2 fireplaces, and I noticed a few times that when we burn upstairs, the downstairs has a strong smell from the other fireplace. It looks like the mortar may be failing in b/w some of the bricks on both fireplaces.

Anyone have this issue? Recommendations on how to seal this up properly?

Our house has 2 fireplaces, and I noticed a few times that when we burn upstairs, the downstairs has a strong smell from the other fireplace. It looks like the mortar may be failing in b/w some of the bricks on both fireplaces.

Are you sure you aren't just backdrafting the other fireplace? See if opening a window fixes it. Does your fireplace have a supply air damper?

Gas fireplaces or wood?

Last edited:

Pacific energy insert with stainless liner. If it is a open fireplace you are actually sucking heat out of the house when you burn usually ends up a net heat loss. Pacific insert will take you from 0 to negative efficiency up to 60 percent plus.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Pacific energy insert with stainless liner. If it is a open fireplace you are actually sucking heat out of the house when you burn usually ends up a net heat loss. Pacific insert will take you from 0 to negative efficiency up to 60 percent plus.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
Our last house was setup for a wood stove in the basement (tiled corner with chimney and cleanout) but there was no evidence that it ever had one installed. I was going to put one in to save on gas but furnace died and I installed a high efficiency furnace. At that point, wood heat would have been nice but it would have been incredibly expensive to install, certify and insure while saving very little on monthly expenses. He is probably in a similar situation with the insert. Obviously you need it to be safe, but if you are only burning it for decoration, you will probably never recover the cost of a good insert in energy savings.

Back
Top Bottom