Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 27 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

So thinking forward to next year...how TF does one remove old 4x4 posts encased in concrete from an old fence? Ours is falling apart and is wobbly.

I'd added 4x4 supports with the spikes into the ground, but the whole thing will need to be removed. Anyone have any approx price / linear foot for a new fence?
Our old fence had sections that blew down in a windstorm. To remove the old posts that were in concrete, I made a simple cantilever system and they came out really easy. I wouldn't do it for posts set into 3+ ft of concrete, but lots of old fences were not built to that standard. Took a few hours to get 10 posts out.

Something like:

I'm lucky -- I used to do them myself but now I have a trusty pool mechanic who opens and closes for a case of beer. My kid got a job building pools in high school, he did it thru college and became a pretty good pool mechanic. The only down side is his taste in beers got expensive after university.

I dont know if Markham has a 'secret tradesman tax' like Oakville but over here you could buy that kid a couple cases of premium craft beers and still be well ahead of the game.
The favoured technique is take the filter baskets and tops ect with them and several keys parts to soak and decalcify them over the winter, replace O rings. It also helps that you have to call them back in the spring, they have your critical parts.....

I've built about a dozen benches for a variety of spaces, my favorite thing now is 4x4 plywood 'box' legs from 3/4 baltic birch, I make the beams just smaller and leave an opening in the legs so the beams slide into the hole 'mortise style' , position the pockets at a hieght to make a shelf so you can put a tool, clamps, off the top while working but not out of reach . Also adds to the stabilty. For a top I like 1 1/4 , 1 1/2 mdf, you can pound nails and it wont bounce. I've done tops with 1" (25mm) baltic birch which is much lighter . I do sacrificial hardboard sheets and stick it down with carpet two sided tape so it wont slide around but pops off when you want to change.
I'll also keep a spare top of something, so if its motor or greasy work it can go on that sheet, nothing worse than grease on a woodworking bench
I used to make my benches and shelving with wood. I picked up a Hobart MIG a few years back now I'm fascinated with steel.

As for sacrificial tops, I used hardboard until I discovered HDPE (I did a lot of textile cutting in the past, sacrificial hardboard tops lasted about a week in our shop). 1/8" HDPE sheets are perfect for sacrificial tops, they are tough as nails, reflect light nicely, and impervious to most chemicals. A little pricier, I think I paid $80 for 4x8 sheets however they lasted longer than 50 sheets of hardboard.

I like steel benches for anything welding grinding related, I have a small mig as well but 96% of what i'm doing is not making sparks and i like that dropping parts on wood doesn't dent the part. HDPE does make a nice top, I had that in my photo process room (back when you processed photos at home LOL) .
Now being in the wood business "sort of" , theres a lot of wood around here LOL

Some update photos....work in progress...

Deck1.jpg

Deck2.jpg

Apparently one of our neighbours will be calling the city to check the deck as my wife saw him taking photos of it from his roof yesterday. I doubt it was to congratulate us on the job.

Deck is 4" higher than the allowable 24" max without needing a permit.

Some update photos....work in progress...

View attachment 43259

View attachment 43260

Apparently one of our neighbours will be calling the city to check the deck as my wife saw him taking photos of it from his roof yesterday. I doubt it was to congratulate us on the job.

Deck is 4" higher than the allowable 24" max without needing a permit.
It looks good. Are those 2x8? I might have gone 2x6 to get to 23.5" so the railing became optional. I am assuming it is attached to the house? I might try and talk to the neighbour before going much further. Surprise visits from the city after the project is completed suck.

It looks good. Are those 2x8? I might have gone 2x6 to get to 23.5" so the railing became optional. I am assuming it is attached to the house? I might try and talk to the neighbour before going much further. Surprise visits from the city after the project is completed suck.
Yes they are 2x8. We were going to go with 2x10 but decided that we don't need that much heft. Was thinking about going over there, but my wife said he was taking photos of 3 other neighbours' houses so I believe this is not a person that can be dealt with rationally. There's always one of those in the neighbourhood. We are putting up the railings tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should just prepare some additional drawings and issue to the city for a permit. Yes it is attached to the house with a ledger board in the back.

Yes they are 2x8. We were going to go with 2x10 but decided that we don't need that much heft. Was thinking about going over there, but my wife said he was taking photos of 3 other neighbours' houses so I believe this is not a person that can be dealt with rationally. There's always one of those in the neighbourhood. We are putting up the railings tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should just prepare some additional drawings and issue to the city for a permit. Yes it is attached to the house with a ledger board in the back.
I wouldn't go the the city now. That's like when the police ask you if you have any hidden drugs and then arrest you. Make them do the work at this point as the downside is the same if you get caught but there is a very good chance they never catch you. If buddy hands them file folders of the neighbourhood, they may flip through and look for anything truly dangerous and throw the rest in the garbage.

I wouldn't go the the city now. That's like when the police ask you if you have any hidden drugs and then arrest you. Make them do the work at this point as the downside is the same if you get caught but there is a very good chance they never catch you. If buddy hands them file folders of the neighbourhood, they may flip through and look for anything truly dangerous and throw the rest in the garbage.
True. I'm ****** at myself for not paying better attention to it. I'm quite sure I can lower it (very painfully) if needed, but hoping not to. If they come they come. Apparently the seller also had the city called on him by some neighbour (he informed us) and said there's a guy that does it on anyone and the city just comes by to check it out, and then walks away unless there's MAJOR issues.

Power washed my dick. Have to replace some rotted 2x4" that were installed with nails. Some look to be 14' or more long, and run under a set of stairs up to another deck. Looks to be a bit of a shitshow. Next will be to put some protectant or stain on it.

Power washed my dick. Have to replace some rotted 2x4" that were installed with nails. Some look to be 14' or more long, and run under a set of stairs up to another deck. Looks to be a bit of a shitshow. Next will be to put some protectant or stain on it.

Ouch. What kind of monster are you?

Back
Top Bottom