Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 29 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

:ROFLMAO:
Yes they do.
Along with the people that do not take off the switch/receptacle cover plates when painting.

I have even heard of "professional" painters charging extra for this. :oops:

Its an underrated tool.
Most people would say "what the hell do you need that for"

I have even used it to help level appliances.

when we took the stuff off the walls here....I saw an outline of a f’ing mirror the guy was too lazy to take down....a mirror. Makes me angry just thinking about it.

those guys charging for removing receptacles and such aren’t painters. They’re professional crooks. $200/room ++++++++ ends up more than paying a proper pro.

EDIT: I’m buying one of those wingbag things. Wish I’ve known about those before.

Who here would be sadistic enough to build a deck using 5" spiral nails and 2x4's?
Before: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . After:
wSzyauxm.jpg
943R934m.jpg

I'm still debating whether to patch some of the other boards, as one of them is 14 feet long.

sorry Baggsy, that whole deck top looks on borrowed time. Time to start planning on replacing it all
Ya I’m going to agree....that deck looks like it needs to be replaced.
Buy some deck boards (wood or composite), rip out the 2x4s and if the structure is good lay them on it.

Yep, it's going to go in a year or two.

I'm not too sure about the structure underneath. It looks like it's build a couple of inches over some black plastic, and I'm exactly sure what is supporting it. It could be some concrete under the plastic and cross members over top. Unfortunately, there's a lot of crap that's fallen down in between the members, and some vines growing underneath, as well. There's a vine covered Pergola that will have to come out at the same time as the lower deck.

Continuing with making sliding doors for the rec room. In standard engineering practice, the drawings of what was supposed to be are being altered to match what is evolving.

So thinking forward to next year...how TF does one remove old 4x4 posts encased in concrete from an old fence? Ours is falling apart and is wobbly.

I'd added 4x4 supports with the spikes into the ground, but the whole thing will need to be removed. Anyone have any approx price / linear foot for a new fence?

I haven't been following this thread for a while but have the same 4X4 in concrete problem.

The post is useless to pull the concrete and the rotted wood is easy to deal with. To get the concrete out I drilled a pair of holes at an angle from the top as far down as I could reach and inserted some pieces of steel rod. A short piece of chain can grab the rods and be used to jack the concrete out. A long slow soak of the ground helps lube things.

Any combination of jacks, levers, and fulcrums will pull the beasts. It isn't fast. Or rent a backhoe.

I haven't been following this thread for a while but have the same 4X4 in concrete problem.

The post is useless to pull the concrete and the rotted wood is easy to deal with. To get the concrete out I drilled a pair of holes at an angle from the top as far down as I could reach and inserted some pieces of steel rod. A short piece of chain can grab the rods and be used to jack the concrete out. A long slow soak of the ground helps lube things.

Any combination of jacks, levers, and fulcrums will pull the beasts. It isn't fast. Or rent a backhoe.
Or go the lazy way. Just bury those chunk of concrete and put the new posts in 2' over.

Here's the reason my deck isn't coming out this year:
RvvKno4m.jpg

Yep, it's going to go in a year or two.

I'm not too sure about the structure underneath. It looks like it's build a couple of inches over some black plastic, and I'm exactly sure what is supporting it. It could be some concrete under the plastic and cross members over top. Unfortunately, there's a lot of crap that's fallen down in between the members, and some vines growing underneath, as well. There's a vine covered Pergola that will have to come out at the same time as the lower deck.

I feel your pain. Here's our backyard, albeit a bit messy when I took the photo.

IMG_3473.jpeg

The deck under the gazebo and hot tub is all new about 6 years ago and is in good repair.

The entire deck surrounding the pool, not so much.

It shouldn't be surprising as it's 20 years old. And it (and the pool) used to be in our neighbours backyard before we moved the pool to our house, deck and all. Talk about spiral nails, I know all about them....pulled a few thousand while disassembling the deck:

IMG_0148.jpeg

Here was the pool the morning we started tear down in the neighbours backyard.

IMG_0118.jpeg

During the install in our backyard. I was lucky at the time I still owned my 1 ton diesel pickup so I had all the gear and power I needed to pickup the excavators and bobcat. I did 99% of the bulk of the digging in 1.5 days and then rented the bobcat and a dump trailer a few weeks later to remove the soil.

IMG_0251.jpeg

Then I reconstructed the deck in our backyard piece by piece. Frame and all.

IMG_0477.jpeg

Looked decent still back then (I power washed it and it came up really nice after this photo) before things were even finished yet....

IMG_0508.jpeg

Anyhow, that was 2013. 7 years later a few of those deckboards around the pool are now rotten. I was hoping to wait 1 more summer before stripping them and replacing them with composite....but ugh, I think I'm going to end up putting my foot through at least one spot sooner or later, and the idea of bandaiding things seems like a waste. It may be composite before the end of the summer.

Through that whole project I gained a new appreciation for why pool companies charge so much. I have about $1000 into this pool after it was all said and done, most of that cost being the excavator and bobcat rentals, but I was happy with the results. Much blood, sweat, tears, and expletives however.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 8
Yesterday

More gluing of rec room doors

Did some front step fix-ups for a neighbour

Power washed our deck and backyard walkway. I liked the dull mossy look but it was slippery when wet.

Emptied a can of Lech

Was out swimming in the pond this weekend.

Grass seed down and finally starting to grow.

Knocked down an old single car garage that I used to use as a tack room when I had horses.

Was out swimming in the pond this weekend.

Grass seed down and finally starting to grow.

Knocked down an old single car garage that I used to use as a tack room when I had horses.
It's always sad to see a garage go.

Wife is out back painting the trim on the shed I built. Actually went and bought paint, pulled out a brush and without even needing to watch a youtube video on how to hold a paintbrush she's at it. Its like a ******* miracle moment.

Back
Top Bottom