Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Installed a new dining room light, need to take 200lbs of garden gnomes out of the back the previous owner left.

Where are you and do you want to get rid of some gnomes? My wife loves gnomes.

I'm sorry we dropped them all off at Halton waste center in the masonary pile, they are probably ground up for road fill now.
I'd like to meet your missus someday, I know no one that likes gnomes LOL

Didn't consider the new wood idea...just picked up a bunch of 2x4s before I left on the last rotation. Although I think it'd be nice to try and learn basic welding skills. My biggest concern is how the hell do I cut the metal to size? I don't have a chop saw, only a grinder.

Got those too.

Speaking about projects, I just finished a year-long renovation of our master bathroom. Did everything myself except the tile setting (Mrs FLSTC did the drywall taping and painting). All-in was about $10k, but I'd estimate it's a $25k job - gave me some bargaining room for another dirt bike. And a freeze on projects for this year.

kjGMvqr.jpg
Amazing reno. Just to be clear you didn't do the tile work yourself?
I am curious about the glass shower, is it is kit or did you get custom size glass work?

What do you want to know about venting? Don't do the ghetto vent that terminates inside the wall.
Ok finally getting around to following up on this venting issue.

Basically I don't believe my sink, or plumbing, vents as well as it should. Sometimes using the sink it has a bit of stink to it. Making me believe the air is coming back up where is should not. The P traps are working and full of water but once it starts running it puffs up.

I've put together a drawing to help visualize how the plumbing is setup in my house. I think I need to add a pipe (the green part) higher up and across to let the air out.

I still need to check out the link @FLSTC provided.

BathroomLayout-01.jpg

Im pretty sure your sinks have venting from them individually (already) to another bigger venting pipe to the roof

I had a similar stinking issue at the previous house

redid the plumbing in the kitchen. Did not help.
sold the house (not for this reason) so I’m not sure if it still stinks.

... you added a drain not a vent :|
Assuming the vent isn't plugged with a dead starling or bird nest, distance to the vent pipe is important:

"Install the vent between the sink P-trap and the point where the waste line leading from the trap drops to the main sewer. If the waste line has a diameter of 1 1/4 inches, the vent can be no farther than 2 1/2 feet from the trap. If the waste line is 1 1/2 inches, this critical distance is 3 1/2 feet. The minimum diameter of the vent pipe is 1 1/4 inches in both cases."

If you want to make a nice shower that doesn't need a door:
shower.jpg

The Beta was made long before the Covid19. But....it's a good question. :p

Some sink odours are simply poorly designed sinks. Stagnant water is allowed to sit around the bottom of the sink where the overflow meets the drain. If you can get a hose in and flush it out you will know if a bunch of crap comes out. It isn't a fix as the sink design is the problem.

Im pretty sure your sinks have venting from them individually (already) to another bigger venting pipe to the roof

I had a similar stinking issue at the previous house

redid the plumbing in the kitchen. Did not help.
sold the house (not for this reason) so I’m not sure if it still stinks.
Hmm well the plumbing is as marked, I've had the walls open and that's all there is. Just the main toilet stack out to roof venting.

... you added a drain not a vent :|
Assuming the vent isn't plugged with a dead starling or bird nest, distance to the vent pipe is important:

"Install the vent between the sink P-trap and the point where the waste line leading from the trap drops to the main sewer. If the waste line has a diameter of 1 1/4 inches, the vent can be no farther than 2 1/2 feet from the trap. If the waste line is 1 1/2 inches, this critical distance is 3 1/2 feet. The minimum diameter of the vent pipe is 1 1/4 inches in both cases."
Is this info meant for me?
If so where did you get that quote from?

Is this info meant for me?
If so where did you get that quote from?
Here is a better drawing to display how is suppose to be:

tumblr_netd4fvxWM1qkwd9ao1_640.gifv

Vents all go up drains down, the vent can't be too far from the s-trap or it makes suction on the trap. Ultimately it all ends up in the 4 inch sewer pipe which probably extends all the way up past the roof line.

This plumbers nightmare is how you vent an island sink that is miles away from a stack pipe:

FH03OCT_03117_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom