Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 89 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Ok, you can use batt insulation but then pay special attention to air sealing so you don't have drafts or bugs sneaking through.
Outside I used fake wood (name of the **** escapes me) instead of capping it with aluminum. It never fades, it can't rust, won't crack or dent or scratch and never needs paint. I bought a wide strip, and ripped even sides and top, then used some ¼" same product for the sill. Bugs still find their way thru the drainage slots....lol.
Screenshot_20210713-131824_Gallery.jpg

Outside I used fake wood (name of the **** escapes me) instead of capping it with aluminum. It never fades, it can't rust, won't crack or dent or scratch and never needs paint. I bought a wide strip, and ripped even sides and top, then used some ¼" same product for the sill. Bugs still find their way thru the drainage slots....lol.
View attachment 49974
Azek? Lots of PVC trim available now, I think that was one of the originals.

I’ve used expanding spray foam with no issues in windows. As long as it has space to move sideways it shouldn’t move the window.
Was this on a new install?
I've seen frames break from that crap, and had many repairs from diy customers.
I would never use, or recommend it. Nothing can go wrong with pink.
There's an outfit (they advertise a ton) in Hamilton & Burlington that charges head spinning prices.
When the salesman has a customer by the throat, HE measures. He deducts ½" sides and top - bottom. They use 3"x ¼" styrofoam, top / sides. If it don't fit......they smash it until it does. They've been doing this **** for 40+ yrs. (I worked 10 days for them when they were in a pinch). Total butcher work, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's where the $40k estimate came from. I won't name them.

Azek? Lots of PVC trim available now, I think that was one of the originals.
Don't think I'd know, even if you whacked me upside the head with a piece.
(I did that door when I was sick)
It's definitely pvc. It was the 1st time I ever used it, won't be the last.

Was this on a new install?
I've seen frames break from that crap, and had many repairs from diy customers.
I would never use, or recommend it. Nothing can go wrong with pink.
There's an outfit (they advertise a ton) in Hamilton & Burlington that charges head spinning prices.
When the salesman has a customer by the throat, HE measures. He deducts ½" sides and top - bottom. They use 3"x ¼" styrofoam, top / sides. If it don't fit......they smash it until it does. They've been doing this **** for 40+ yrs. (I worked 10 days for them when they were in a pinch). Total butcher work, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's where the $40k estimate came from. I won't name them.
No these were all new window replacement of old places.

One of the reasons I paid for the patio door install was this conversation:

‘ok you measure it and let us know the dimensions’
‘No I’m not going to do that. I eff that up I’m buying a second window. If your guy effs up you pay for the second window so it fits’

no issues.

EDIT: I’ll talk to my dad see how he’s feeling. Maybe I’ll just do the windows myself. Biggest pain is the lifting to the spot…I can hire some Polaks with a few beers for that work.

Hell I’d expand my windows without permits if it wasn’t for that *********. Man I hope he fucks off to Florida.

‘No I’m not going to do that. I eff that up I’m buying a second window. If your guy effs up you pay for the second window so it fits’

no issues.
Hence the minus 1/2" so it always fits. They don't have to live the the smaller window. On that note, I am very annoyed by how big vinyl frames are. They seem to keep getting bigger and bigger. Small windows are half vinyl and half IGU.

no issues.
Hence the minus 1/2" so it always fits. They don't have to live the the smaller window. On that note, I am very annoyed by how big vinyl frames are. They seem to keep getting bigger and bigger. Small windows are half vinyl and half IGU.
For windows, deduct ¼". I've measured & installed several hundred. Every one fit, except that damn frosted bathroom window for a buddy. Shoulda been 21⅞ wide, I sent in 22⅞. That cost me....lol.

Measure brick to brick, sill to header. Then do it again. Make sure your opening is for a standard size replacement.
Hammer, prybar, screwgun, sawsall, circ saw, caulking gun, snips and a vacuum cleaner is about all you need for tools. Some cedar shake, or shims, possibly 3 x 8' 2x4, or 1x2. 1 x tube caulking, possible hunk or 2 of pink, 6 screws, and your choice on exterior capping /finishing. .
As long as the new door is smaller than the opening, you'll get it done.
Where you located?

Appreciate the tips. I’m in Scarborough

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I’d love new windows, mine are from the 80s at best. It’s very difficult to justify the cost.

I am going to change out the sliding patio door, quote was $3k which seems absurd. I’m generally handy but I’ve never done a sliding door so I’m somewhat hesitant to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
If you're generally handy you'll probably do a better job than the sub sub-trades the contractor sends. I sold them for years but only put one in, my own. Still there after 30 years.

Now you guys have me wanting to install new windows.

Attachments

• 1626223095069.png
    1626223095069.png
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 16
For windows, deduct ¼". I've measured & installed several hundred. Every one fit, except that damn frosted bathroom window for a buddy. Shoulda been 21⅞ wide, I sent in 22⅞. That cost me....lol.
Measure diagonally as well. I got caught on a basement window that originally went in with the sides not quite plumb. It's called racking IIRC. It was tight but I did get it in. It would have been a lot easier if I had an extra 1/8"

Measure diagonally as well. I got caught on a basement window that originally went in with the sides not quite plumb. It's called racking IIRC. It was tight but I did get it in. It would have been a lot easier if I had an extra 1/8"
I've seen a guy take a belt sander to the edges of the window, to make it fit.

My previous posts are misleading, now that I re-read.
½" total deductons are right....... I put ¼" but was think'n left - right / top - bottom, so with the new window centred, you get ¼" on each side.

So how would you measure if you don’t have the old window out? Remove the trim and just measure the existing frame?

So how would you measure if you don’t have the old window out? Remove the trim and just measure the existing frame?
Open the old window, then measure the opening frame to frame. If the frame is rotted and has to be replaced, measure brick to brick and be sure to deduct properly.

Can someone advise me on planters. I like this basic Urn style planter. Like this:
urn planters.jpg

But all the ones I bought have problems. Either the stand part collapse and tips the pot over (happened today when I got home it was all on the ground, They are not filled to the rim, a few inches down. Or the top part cracks. All of them have a crack from top to bottom (like a seam), and need to be replaced again. The last set I bought where from Home Depot, plastic of some sort.

Can someone advise me on planters. I like this basic Urn style planter. Like this:
View attachment 49985

But all the ones I bought have problems. Either the stand part collapse and tips the pot over (happened today when I got home it was all on the ground, They are not filled to the rim, a few inches down. Or the top part cracks. All of them have a crack from top to bottom (like a seam), and need to be replaced again. The last set I bought where from Home Depot, plastic of some sort.
Sounds like cheap plastic molds failing. I have three but they are cast iron. They might be over 50 years old. They come every now and then for cheap on Kijiji or Facebook marketplace. I happened to get mine for free and each one is about 30lbs.

The fence repair is done. The final touch was to replace one section of GREEN lattice but it was not to be found. I used two good ones to make six partials and infilled the three sections affected, leaving a space in the middle. Plastic planters went in there. The complete fence is on the list for another yearly budget and this got it together for a few more seasons.

Back
Top Bottom