Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 34 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

All my barinas are still working (garage and basement workbench).

For build your own workbench, I glue and screw two layers of 3/4" mdf, drop in to a 1.625"x.5" dado on a 2x4 frame and drop a piece of masonite on top as a sacrificial layer. Not expensive, strong as *&^*^ (as long as you don't get it too wet) and a nice dead surface.

All my barinas are still working (garage and basement workbench).

For build your own workbench, I glue and screw two layers of 3/4" mdf, drop in to a 1.625"x.5" dado on a 2x4 frame and drop a piece of masonite on top as a sacrificial layer. Not expensive, strong as *&^*^ (as long as you don't get it too wet) and a nice dead surface.
I have to go through the thread as I know some people posted their work benches.

@Gary OK thanks for the info. I will look into it and decide whether to put in big (4x1) LED panel lights, or these Barina lights. I'll go turn them on Saturday see what's actually in the box as I haven't opened it since I bought it with the others on here.

I've seen LED shop lights at CT and Home depot, CT has them on sale for $14.99 (4 FT). What's special about the Amazon Barina lights that I am missing?

RFQs sent out today for getting the roof re-shingled. Arrgh. Didn't need this expense right now, but the shingles are visibly in bad shape, and what's there will not survive another big storm. Neighbors had theirs re-done last year, and almost every house in the vicinity has had it done. (Subdivision is approx 16 - 17 years old)

Had the water heater replaced. I only cleaned up the mess. The cool thing was that he showed my wife how to fix the clogged drain pipe in the furnace (It was leaking a little as well). Ours was so old that it vented into the chimney, which they don't do anymore.

RFQs sent out today for getting the roof re-shingled. Arrgh. Didn't need this expense right now, but the shingles are visibly in bad shape, and what's there will not survive another big storm. Neighbors had theirs re-done last year, and almost every house in the vicinity has had it done. (Subdivision is approx 16 - 17 years old)
The major wind storm that blew threw here in 2017 ripped off a good portion of our shingles which were 15 yrs old. We went with a metal roof since we plan to be here a while. The sound of the hail last night was pretty awesome!

I hope you have better luck than I am having. Two companies contacted never got back to me, one is slow but providing a quote, two at 20K, two at 40K. Fack. It's just shingles for god sake.

I hope you have better luck than I am having. Two companies contacted never got back to me, one is slow but providing a quote, two at 20K, two at 40K. Fack. It's just shingles for god sake.
Where are you located? My cousin just had his semi detached in Mississauga a few months ago and was happy with the price/service/product.

Suggestions:
Get a ridge vent.
Weave the valleys instead of leaving an open valley.
Architectural shingles. -lighter colours don't get fried in the sun as fast.
Blue-Skin the whole roof if you can swing it. (IKO & other companies make similar products.)

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Suggestions:
Get a ridge vent.
Weave the valleys instead of leaving an open valley.
Architectural shingles. -lighter colours don't get fried in the sun as fast.
Blue-Skin the whole roof if you can swing it. (IKO & other companies make similar products.)

Never seen a ridge vent that actually has enough capacity and didn't leak I would keep it simple with regular vents and lots of them.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Never seen a ridge vent that actually has enough capacity and didn't leak I would keep it simple with regular vents and lots of them.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
Ive never had issues with them leaking.

Keep the existing venting as well.

Building a stupid garden shed, omg don't ever buy one in pre-cut pieces :| you might as well just buy real lumber and cut it yourself.

Wow - I think we paid $27k for metal, but we also have a pretty simple roof.

+ it needs to keep bats out. Bats love ridge vent, it's like the perfect shape.

if you have a vertical wall that extends to a high spot in the attic, an electric fan with louvers or shutters works very well.

We ended up cutting two extra vents in at our first house. I think it saved us a couple of years on our shingles.

Building a stupid garden shed, omg don't ever buy one in pre-cut pieces :| you might as well just buy real lumber and cut it yourself.
Lesson learned with my Yardistry gazebo....FML...precut my ***.

Also just remembered...I think a racoon or a squirrel got into the attic...found a hole in the roof in the corner. How the he$$ do I fix that?

Lesson learned with my Yardistry gazebo....FML...precut my ***.

Also just remembered...I think a racoon or a squirrel got into the attic...found a hole in the roof in the corner. How the he$$ do I fix that?
Is he out? Expanded metal mesh and/or ventilated soffit to cover the hole depending on location/visibility.

Is he out? Expanded metal mesh and/or ventilated soffit to cover the hole depending on location/visibility.
Literally in the corner of the roof...lower edge where the 2 pieces come together. Visible from the street.

Budget bathroom reno

Costco one piece toilet $180
Costco laminate flooring $120
Solid acacia countertop $100 on sale at Lowe’s
Vessel ceramic sink $39 on sale at Rona
Splurged on a waterfall vessel faucet but it also came with all the sink drain hardware (worth $50) $170

It was all going swimmingly until sheets of old paint on one wall came off along with some skim coat underneath.

Back
Top Bottom