Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 181 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Went to BC for 17 days and came back to a panel. Wife called my dad and they organized everything as a late 40th bday gift for me. She knew I wanted it so got it done while I was away. That’s when we realized we have 2 layers of drywall.
You sure you don't have plaster in your house?

Well considering in this market people are paying for broken down shacks, you should have no problem.
But I don't think it is a problem. My cousin, an electrian, like's Fuses over Breakers. Breakers are basically more convienent. But if your circuits are all setup well it shouldn't be a problem. The wiring which is a problem is Knob & Tube, you shouldn't have any of that, it was before 50's and earlier. I have green sheath wires in my house some without ground wires, but it all works.
I agree. The bigger problem in fused houses is there are often 8 circuits for the entire house instead of the modern ~40. I popped a breaker a few times in the old house with a table saw and havent popped one in the new house. If they were fuses, it's not a capital expense.

I agree. The bigger problem in fused houses is there are often 8 circuits for the entire house instead of the modern ~40. I popped a breaker a few times in the old house with a table saw and havent popped one in the new house. If they were fuses, it's not a capital expense.
1642869705016.png
$12 at Canadian Tire. My kid's house had regular fuses, we bought an 8 pack of these for $80. The upgrade doesn't require a permit.

Our old fuse panel had the eight plug types and two double cartridges. When I went to a 24 circuit breaker panel I thought I had loads of circuits. The came the kitchen renovation and air conditioning. I've never tripped the main but by code will need a bigger (More spots) panel if I continue to tinker.

Other than the nuisance factor I like fuses. A quick blow fuse offers more protection for a device but I don't think they make GFI or AF fuses.

Last edited:
Come on….this is Kevin we’re talking about here. I’ve got a little bit of everything to keep things entertaining.
Yeah probably eh. I had to do some minor work on my upstairs and ripping out some of the plaster was a ***** with the wire mesh etc.

So you are ripping your walls out to insulate them, because you don't have any insulation? Double brick? what are you going to put in there?

Our old fuse panel had the eight plug types and two double cartridges. When I went to a 24 circuit breaker panel ti thought I had loads of circuits. The came the kitchen renovation and air conditioning. I've never tripped the main but by code will need a bigger (More spots) panel if I continue to tinker.

Other than the nuisance factor I like fuses. A quick blow fuse offers more protection for a device but I don't think they make GFI or AF fuses.
Are you doubled up yet? Space saver breakers come in handy. If you're really space constrained, getting 15/40/40/15 (or similar) works for dryer/ac and a few household circuits.

Yeah probably eh. I had to do some minor work on my upstairs and ripping out some of the plaster was a ***** with the wire mesh etc.

So you are ripping your walls out to insulate them, because you don't have any insulation? Double brick? what are you going to put in there?
Was planning on removing the drywall/blaster and strapping. Then remove the foamy weird insulation. Reframe it with 2x4s and batt insulation and proper drywall again.

If I do only the exterior walls it’s 3 walls in our room, 1 wall in daughters and 2 in sons.

Was planning on removing the drywall/blaster and strapping. Then remove the foamy weird insulation. Reframe it with 2x4s and batt insulation and proper drywall again.

If I do only the exterior walls it’s 3 walls in our room, 1 wall in daughters and 2 in sons.
Interesting, doesn't sound like too many walls. What is weird foamy insulation? (might have missed it if it was posted elsewhere)

Also you might not be able to re-do all your electrical if only some walls are open, I'm sure you know this.

Interesting, doesn't sound like too many walls. What is weird foamy insulation? (might have missed it if it was posted elsewhere)

Also you might not be able to re-do all your electrical if only some walls are open, I'm sure you know this.
All the walls have to be reframed. But insulation is only really needed on the exterior ones. But May as well do them all.

The insulation is similar to a thin sponge…but crumbles when touched. Never seen it before but found it when we were installing the tv as it was under the drywall / plaster in the space before you hit the block.

Urea formaldehyde. It's an injected foam used in the 70s. Once disclosed, a house is branded. Kinda like a salvage title on a car.

It was banned in 1980, the major risk of ofgassing carcogenic formaldehyde eould have passed by now. It also absorbs moisture, so mold can be a secondary problem. In either case if it is uffi, it should be removed.

Last edited:
Urea formaldehyde. It's an injected foam used in the 70s. Once disclosed, a house is branded. Kinda like a salvage title on a car.

It was banned in 1980, the major risk of ofgassing carcogenic formaldehyde eould have passed by now. It also absorbs moisture, so mold can be a secondary problem. In either case if it is uffi, it should be removed.

interesting anecdote …when Ebola leaked out of a secure army testing facility years ago they flooded the facility with formaldehyde gas to kill it all.

Also illegal to remove on your own I believe.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Back
Top Bottom