Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 182 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Let’s just hope it’s NOT that. And as long as it’s behind the walls I’m reading it’s good to stay there.

Light a match and look for a new house.

Also illegal to remove on your own I believe.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2
I can’t find anything on this. Do you have a link or anything?

EDIT: it doesn’t appear to be on any Designated Substances list in Ontario that I can find.

Last edited:
Let’s just hope it’s NOT that. And as long as it’s behind the walls I’m reading it’s good to stay there.

Light a match and look for a new house.
AFAIK uffi had to be installed with professional equipment kind of ruling Kevin out. Once touted as the be all of retrofit insulation you could get a grant to put it in and then when it started causing problems you could get a grant to take it out.

The grants were not well supervised. A family we knew got a grant to put it into their house although the construction didn't meet the criteria. Then they got a grant to take it out.

The problem with uffi was that if it wasn't mixed right the formaldehyde gases out. With it being a new product a lot of companies jumped on the wagon with poorly trained staff.

It was being ripped out a little over 40 years ago. How old is your house and when did Kevin move in?

There are other foams. You might consider getting a canary.

All the walls have to be reframed. But insulation is only really needed on the exterior ones. But May as well do them all.

The insulation is similar to a thin sponge…but crumbles when touched. Never seen it before but found it when we were installing the tv as it was under the drywall / plaster in the space before you hit the block.
Our house was plastered and I only took out the outside walls. Plaster is a better sound barrier.

I'm poor at drywall and getting a decent job was slow. I could have cut my time in half by farming out the tape and mud.

I have six outside walls and if I had to do it over again I would allow a month if I did everything. Having someone else do the drywall would save me a week or more, depending on trim changes. The MB got crown molding and new base boards.

Electrical changes add time especially waiting for inspection unless you go with a pre-approved contractor.

Just my thoughts but the Arab oil embargo of 1973 rattled energy costs so we got smaller cars and a rush to insulating and getting away from poorly insulated homes. If I am right, the window for UFFI would be 1973 to when it was banned in 1980.

Thanks. But I was looking for the ‘illegal to remove on your part.’ Which is what I can’t find.
No, UFFI does not have to be removed, and insurance companies cannot (legally) refuse to insure a house with UFFI, some still do however using other excuses. If you do want to remove UFFI, however, it is VERY expensive. Removal has to be completed by a qualified and licensed person and only AFTER receiving a permit.

No, UFFI does not have to be removed, and insurance companies cannot (legally) refuse to insure a house with UFFI, some still do however using other excuses. If you do want to remove UFFI, however, it is VERY expensive. Removal has to be completed by a qualified and licensed person and only AFTER receiving a permit.

Great that’s what I was looking for.

Maybe I can sue Kevin for it? If that’s what it is of course.

Depends on if he knew it was there and didn't disclose or if he was there in the 70s and installed it. Unfortunately you have described it pretty well can't imagine what else it could be.

“I didn’t know that substance was in there”

Done. And Kevin is free and clear.

Until I open the walls it’s a non issue so I’ll deal with it later. Starting to hate this house more and more.

interesting anecdote …when Ebola leaked out of a secure army testing facility years ago they flooded the facility with formaldehyde gas to kill it all.
Hope that's not why MPs house has foam.

Until I open the walls it’s a non issue so I’ll deal with it later. Starting to hate this house more and more.
You might want to have it checked. When a house is sold in ontario, seller declares UFFI in section 23 of the standard agreement.

If they reasonably knew uffi was present and failed to disclose, courts have found past seller's and agents liable for remediation costs.

I can’t find anything on this. Do you have a link or anything?

EDIT: it doesn’t appear to be on any Designated Substances list in Ontario that I can find.
I don't believe its illegal to remove it yourself, you do need a certified contractor to remove the 'uffi branding' that allows you to declare no UFFI disclosure as a future sale requirement.

You might want to have it checked. When a house is sold in ontario, seller declares UFFI in section 23 of the standard agreement.

If they reasonably knew uffi was present and failed to disclose, courts have found past seller's and agents liable for remediation costs.
Thanks @Mad Mike. Hardest part is proving that they knew about it.

Agent will throw up their hands and say ‘Owner never told me, I have no clue. I’m just an agent and not a contractor.’

Had it before where I lost $ on a deal. Agent says he had no clue and didn’t know about the legal case ongoing between neighbours. Owners told me ‘oh ya he knew 100%’.

Doesn’t matter what you know. It’s what you can prove.

Most important is whether there is a legal requirement to have it removed by special means / contractors. Or is the owner able to remove it.

Everything I’ve read states by this point in time it SHOULD be fully inert. Unless wet. Then it’s possibly mouldy.

Ignorance of the law is not a defence . If it was undisclosed, the previous owner / real estate agent/ and the licensing broker all get named in the suit . Its going on across the street for me right now over KiTec plumbing pipes .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

That would depends how long Kevin was there (did he have it installed?), whether it had been disclosed in prior sales, and whether Kevin would have reasonably known it was present.

Uffi houses sell for substantial discounts historically. In the 90s I picked up a flip in Sharon across from the Temple for land value, (100k below market price for non uffi). I gutted the uffi myself and had ann engineer certify non presence for future sale purpose.

Thanks @Mad Mike. Hardest part is proving that they knew about it.

Agent will throw up their hands and say ‘Owner never told me, I have no clue. I’m just an agent and not a contractor.’

Had it before where I lost $ on a deal. Agent says he had no clue and didn’t know about the legal case ongoing between neighbours. Owners told me ‘oh ya he knew 100%’.

Doesn’t matter what you know. It’s what you can prove.

Most important is whether there is a legal requirement to have it removed by special means / contractors. Or is the owner able to remove it.

Everything I’ve read states by this point in time it SHOULD be fully inert. Unless wet. Then it’s possibly mouldy.
Safety, except for mold, would not be an ussye after 40 years. It's more the stigma, and the fact it historically discounts selling prices by 6 figures.

So MP , you have your answer why two layers of drywall on some walls , they were not insulation. I’ll guess somebody bored access holes on every stud bay, blew in foam and rather than repair 25 holes , boarded over the old drywall . There may have been your first clue .

Ignorance of the law is not a defence . If it was undisclosed, the previous owner / real estate agent/ and the licensing broker all get named in the suit . Its going on across the street for me right now over KiTec plumbing pipes .

Also, in addition to the standard guarantee provided in an offer agreement, decent real estate lawyers will include a tougher uffi guarantee in the closing package, this us where the teeth are as the seller guarantees there is no uffi.

If you find out the foam is uffi, might be worth a call to your real estate lawyer. Could have a happy ending if you get a vag of reno cash from Kevin.

Back
Top Bottom