Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 143 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Speaking of Barrinas, I've watched 16 four footers die in my garage.
So I ordered an led 5 way bulb type thing from amazon. Just arrived. It's crazy bright, and if it last more than a few weeks, I'm gold. $29.

View attachment 52458
I bought 4 similar ones off Amazon on last years Black Friday 2-$40 for my garage. After a year now they’re all still working great.

Speaking of Barrinas, I've watched 16 four footers die in my garage.
So I ordered an led 5 way bulb type thing from amazon. Just arrived. It's crazy bright, and if it last more than a few weeks, I'm gold. $29.

View attachment 52458
I've used up the last of my supply of four foot fluorescent tubes so as the multitude of fixtures age out they will be replaced with LED's. How does the light pattern compare to a tube and do they hang lower that a standard twin 40 fluorescent?

Our ownership group takes this very seriously , you provide proof of vax to HR, or you don't come into the office. Simple. Life in the private sector is easier to juggle.

So I bought a string of edison lights to put around the back yard, spent two hours nailing to the fence , making them even and nice. Plug in , nothing. Change extension cord, nothing. Get meter, power at recepticle, no power in sockets , dead short in molded plug. Back to HomoDepot and get another string. Will test first.

I learned the hard way to always plug in the Christmas tree lights before pulling out the ladder.

Depending on the LED bulbs you can rewire the old flourescent fixtures pretty easily. I've done a couple. The leds don't require the ballast.

I've used up the last of my supply of four foot fluorescent tubes so as the multitude of fixtures age out they will be replaced with LED's. How does the light pattern compare to a tube and do they hang lower that a standard twin 40 fluorescent?
The light they emit is more than expected, and gets much better as more are added.
As for mounting......they flush mount to the ceiling with very cheap clips.....handle with care, but they do work.
i haven't had one (of 12) fail in my basement, but I lost 16 in the attached/unheated garage. (they've died in all seasons, so I can't blame the temps).

I've been very happy with the Coda LED shop from Costco for $40. Had one for a few years in my garage, and leave it on the 10 minute motion sensor setting. Thinking about getting more since the current model can be daisy chained.

imageService

My only issue with the LED long tubes is that if it fails...the whole assembly needs to be scrapped, not just pull a bulb and replace like the old school ones.

If you can't find the same ones, now you'll have a different one that may or may not match what you have.

I have 2 fluorescent tube lights that need to be replaced in the house once they die with LED, and 2 in the shed...I'm more concerned about the temps in the shed as there is no insulation whatsoever there.

Put my pool shed door back in the space.

"Someone" left it open at some point and it blew back and forth until it bust off the hinges.

Since it's so thin, I might not be able to put the screws back in.

Anyways, it's snowed now, so I won't be doing it until Spring.

I might try and find something to strap across it in the meantime, to hold it in place.

At first I thought it might be broken into, or done by an animal, but we don't have very many bears around.

Budgetary numbers came in from the architect (which I pushed him to provide so I can get my head around the project)... $350k for the addition.

I think I'll talk to my realtor and see what we can get for ours, and what we can buy within a reasonable distance. $350k for an extra bedroom and office...I'd rather just buy a different house.

Budgetary numbers came in from the architect (which I pushed him to provide so I can get my head around the project)... $350k for the addition.

I think I'll talk to my realtor and see what we can get for ours, and what we can buy within a reasonable distance. $350k for an extra bedroom and office...I'd rather just buy a different house.
Keep in mind fees and taxes to switch will be a lot.

Sell the house, buy cottage from your parents, rebuild it as the home you want. Then you can say you live in The Beach.

Keep in mind fees and taxes to switch will be a lot.

Sell the house, buy cottage from your parents, rebuild it as the home you want. Then you can say you live in The Beach.
Lot of options...I could reconfigure the basement and make the office a small bedroom....our master bedroom is very large also which could be split up, or we can house the older kids in a single room for a few years while they grow up.

Decisions decisions lol. Had an argument with my dad about 'just go for it and renovate for the $350 and be done with it!'

My only response was 'Easily said and done by the person that's NOT paying for it! Always super easy when it's not your money. Just do it, why you worried about it?' lol

Lot of options...I could reconfigure the basement and make the office a small bedroom....our master bedroom is very large also which could be split up, or we can house the older kids in a single room for a few years while they grow up.

Decisions decisions lol. Had an argument with my dad about 'just go for it and renovate for the $350 and be done with it!'

My only response was 'Easily said and done by the person that's NOT paying for it! Always super easy when it's not your money. Just do it, why you worried about it?' lol
Lots of friends put their kids together in a room successfully.

My concern is value when you are done. Assuming you stay for a while, would the new buyer want a four level house or would they want to knock it down and put up a forest hill cube (max building envelope)? If they are knocking it down, your addition adds no value to them. If that's the case, was it worth 350 to you?

My concern is value when you are done. Assuming you stay for a while, would the new buyer want a four level house or would they want to knock it down and put up a forest hill cube (max building envelope)? If they are knocking it down, your addition adds no value to them. If that's the case, was it worth 350 to you?
Well you never know what the next buyer will want...some will want it...some won't, all depends on timing right?

We bought for 970k....currently worth about 1.5-1.6. House nearby just listed for 1.3 with about half the lot, and half the rooms that we have so... will see.

I need to see my buddy anyway, and his wife is our realtor so may be worth a short chat. I'm liking the look of some houses in the Markland Woods area in Etobicoke. Much closer to my parents and we missed out on a few houses there when we first looked 2 years ago.

EDIT: I'll also look harder at the modular homes quote this week and see what's what in that one. I mean hell...if the price would actually be 150k for:
- 3 existing windows enlarged
- replace roof
- install stairs to the new level (3 steps + landing)
- new windows
- siding around the entire house (30k already inside of the 150k)

It may actually be worth it if I could get financing. Everyone is telling me NOT to leave the interior to do myself...but it may be worth it in the end.

The main floor will need to be done with time also. But once again...just time and money.

My only issue with the LED long tubes is that if it fails...the whole assembly needs to be scrapped, not just pull a bulb and replace like the old school ones.

If you can't find the same ones, now you'll have a different one that may or may not match what you have.

I have 2 fluorescent tube lights that need to be replaced in the house once they die with LED, and 2 in the shed...I'm more concerned about the temps in the shed as there is no insulation whatsoever there.
Get the LED tubes that fit a four ft flourescent fixture and gut the ballasts.
LEDs should be way less temp sensitive than the old flickering flourescents

We have two in what would be the master bedroom. The plan has always been to divide it but 12 years later.... We did put tape on the floor Les Nessman style.

We have two in what would be the master bedroom. The plan has always been to divide it but 12 years later.... We did put tape on the floor Les Nessman style.
This is a consideration for us. Our master is 18x10’ so definite space enough for 2 in there.

I wouldn’t even mind moving wife and I into the basement and just letting the kids have the upstairs bedrooms.

This is a consideration for us. Our master is 18x10’ so definite space enough for 2 in there.

I wouldn’t even mind moving wife and I into the basement and just letting the kids have the upstairs bedrooms.
Basement bedrooms are awesome (if you dont have radon issues). Quiet and dark. I wouldnt be nice enough to give kids the master. Pick the biggest other bedroom and use bunk beds if necessary.

How much would a move cost? That reduces the comparitive cost of the addition.

The added value is questionable with a side split. There's a reason they don't build them anymore. It's a mid century thing but a good architect could change that.

I've drafted up plans for a fourth level for mine but I can't give it what I would consider curb appeal and the existing number of levels are enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom