Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 145 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Lighthouses and windmills don’t blow over , in fact the windmills enjoy a bit of breeze

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I know it can work well, I've also seen some of the crap that people build and how little respect many people have for the power of wind. I wouldn't be surprised if someone built the tall shed on a gravel base or sitting on a concrete pad without being tied down.

We built a 24 x 40 wonder steel arched building at home with an open end as a driveshed for Tractors . Sat in gravel since it weighted 10 tons and was a huge steel building . Very big parachute as 6 yrs later …. It turtled in a fall wind storm .

2x12 is very hard to find as are 2x4 again and plywood mills are still off market . Here goes lumber pricing again .

2x12 is very hard to find as are 2x4 again and plywood mills are still off market . Here goes lumber pricing again .

Well that's good for you. More money in the budget for sails (and hopefully a boat that gets a lot of use next summer).

I used to park a camper trailer in a side yard, over the 6" concrete curb with some 2x's to make it rampish. No one cared. I had great nieghbors.

In comparison across the street a bit they got "into it" , Guy1 gets all new pool equipment installed , heater filter. Guy2 waits till everything is in and plumbed to call the town , shed holding equipment too close to fence line. Guy1 moves everything over 28" , rips up new concrete pad. Guy2 starts having new fence installed , Guy1 goes out after dark and tips all the post 15degrees in the not set cement. Guy2 gets security cameras. Guy2 starts a pool and Guy1 calls a surveyor , knowing the new fence that was just installed 4 months ago was actually about 4" over the property line but had been there for 15yrs. Pool construction stops , fence guys come back , new fence goes up , almost 8ft high under some obscure noise reduction exemption. Guy1 finds out you can have a shed 12ft tall so he adds a second shed in the back yard ( allowed apparently) 12 ft high with a 3ft round window light a moon beam , on the nieghbors side of building ,installs a 1,000 billion lumen light to 'light up the shed inside' Guy2s yard glows 24hrs a day.
Guy2's inlaws go to apt, he inhierits 2 small yappy dogs. Leaves dogs in back yard. Guy 1 kicks the fence to make the dogs bark so he can call the bylaw officers about barking dogs . This went on for three yrs.
Guy 1 and Guy2 had court dates twice with each other , then a fairly decent settlement went in favour of guy2 < we cant remeber why, Guy1 moved.
We through a street party but did not invite Guy 2 either.
Have a read about my cousins $100,000 fence. ( P Wright is my cousins husband )

ttps://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2009/02/28/dont_take_law_into_own_hands_over_fence_disputes.html

ttps://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2009/02/28/dont_take_law_into_own_hands_over_fence_disputes.html
Well that sucks. I'm slightly surprised that the RE "professionals" weren't sucked into the suit. I suspect the listing said it was a 50' lot and the RE agents should have had a copy of the survey. Sure, they declare that buyer is responsible to confirm but if looking at the survey showed there was a potential issue, they should have shared in the pain.

Well that sucks. I'm slightly surprised that the RE "professionals" weren't sucked into the suit. I suspect the listing said it was a 50' lot and the RE agents should have had a copy of the survey. Sure, they declare that buyer is responsible to confirm but if looking at the survey showed there was a potential issue, they should have shared in the pain.
Wow....I lost out on a 3-plex across the street from Humber College for a similar situation.

RE lawyer noted (1 day before closing!) that there was a dispute of the fence, and the neighbour was a lawyer and was dragging out the case for 10+ years with the 'squatter's rights' game.

I bailed on the deal, lost 4k in deposit fees, and my agent (who also represented the seller) just said "I didn't know! They didn't tell me! You can't keep my fees as it wasn't my fault!"

Mother effer bastard....we had to buy another property (which ultimately made me much more than the 4k) so we didn't lose 10k on that deal.

Lost out on a $385k 3-plex across the street from Humber College Lakeshore campus....son of a *****. I had to cancel this deal officially, in order for my 6-plex deal to go through as bank wasn't going to allow me to proceed until that closed off.

Last edited:

Where were the buyers' lawyers during the sale?

When I buy something I expect what is legally mine. Since the buyer was buying the lot they only got 96% of it and should have paid 96%.

RE took the "Don't worry, it'll work out" path.

I know a few people that have done the shed office, neighbours even did a shed pub.

Most GTA jurisdictions allow for 10m2 which is ~108 sq.ft (107.639). That is 9 X 12. Run electrical, insulate well, electric heater. enjoy....

I know a few people that have done the shed office, neighbours even did a shed pub.

Most GTA jurisdictions allow for 10m2 which is ~108 sq.ft (107.639). That is 9 X 12. Run electrical, insulate well, electric heater. enjoy....
10m2 is normal max shed size without permit. If you pull a permit, many allow larger sheds. Our zoning allows for 65m2 (700 sq ft) assuming you can comply with all setbacks.

Entertainment on the DIY electrical front, as noted before I really now hate Eaton switches and outlets, poorly designed but this here is not why.... three way switches....

Regardless some have made it into my wiring (how I figured out I REALLY hate them). If you mix them with Leviton in a three-way switch configuration and you do the travellers the same way at both ends and orient the switches the same on both ends they end up "out of sync" (off is one up, one down). Normally I would have never cared but our youngest has become obsessed with "synchronizing" the switches (all down is off--one up, one down is on). LOL, now it is starting to bug me! I guess I either need to switch the travellers (red and black) on one switch or flip one over.... I will switch the wires--have a half dozen to change now! Oddly, add a four-way into the middle of the configuration and it fixes it like our basement stairs.... The two brands are opposite inside...

This BTW is not why I hate them. The way they are designed they pull the wire around the screw while tightening the screws, which makes it difficult to get a proper tight connection. Leviton doesn't do this, the wire stays put more or less and the screw gets tight. Backstab is out of the question as it is one of the major causes of arc-fault nuisance trips over time (regardless of brand), new code arc-fault is everywhere. Now only my boiler, fridge and fire-alarms are not.

Entertainment on the DIY electrical front, as noted before I really now hate Eaton switches and outlets, poorly designed but this here is not why.... three way switches....

Regardless some have made it into my wiring (how I figured out I REALLY hate them). If you mix them with Leviton in a three-way switch configuration and you do the travellers the same way at both ends and orient the switches the same on both ends they end up "out of sync" (off is one up, one down). Normally I would have never cared but our youngest has become obsessed with "synchronizing" the switches (all down is off--one up, one down is on). LOL, now it is starting to bug me! I guess I either need to switch the travellers (red and black) on one switch or flip one over.... I will switch the wires--have a half dozen to change now! Oddly, add a four-way into the middle of the configuration and it fixes it like our basement stairs.... The two brands are opposite inside...

This BTW is not why I hate them. The way they are designed they pull the wire around the screw while tightening the screws, which makes it difficult to get a proper tight connection. Leviton doesn't do this, the wire stays put more or less and the screw gets tight. Backstab is out of the question as it is one of the major causes of arc-fault nuisance trips over time (regardless of brand), new code arc-fault is everywhere. Now only my boiler, fridge and fire-alarms are not.
No idea if it's possible at this point but it's a good idea to put an often used light on the circuit with smoke detectors. It gives you a rapid indication that something has gone wrong and impetus to fix it quickly. Smokes on their own circuit could go unnoticed for weeks (or more) if breaker is off for some reason.

Thought you needed a permit to run electrical to the shed…he’ll I’d do it for sure.

When we upgraded our panel we ran a 60A cable to the rear of the house before we put the drywall up. It’s just there for future hot tub, shed, or even can be run to the addition.

Thought you needed a permit to run electrical to the shed…he’ll I’d do it for sure.

When we upgraded our panel we ran a 60A cable to the rear of the house before we put the drywall up. It’s just there for future hot tub, shed, or even can be run to the addition.
You need an electrical permit but you can get away without a building permit at 10m2 with no plumbing. Building permit is the pricey and annoying one (and probably automatically notifies MPAC to jack your assessment).

By the books, yes you need an electrical permit to power the new shed big or small. Technically you need an ESA permit (they actually call it a "notice") to add one outlet to your house, even a simple duplex or an EV, whatever..... even a fully licensed electrician needs one for one new outlet, how many file a notice to add a new outlet 🤷‍♂️ then it goes from there in scale. YMMV but where people get caught up is doing crap work (way too common) or when an ESA notice is required for bigger work Ilike I just did) and the inspector says, hey WTF is this...or even a home inspector says WTH. If you file an ESA notice (not that expensive BTW) and do it right I doubt they are calling MPAC though.

Only building permit cares about the size or the building.

Last edited:
No idea if it's possible at this point but it's a good idea to put an often used light on the circuit with smoke detectors. It gives you a rapid indication that something has gone wrong and impetus to fix it quickly. Smokes on their own circuit could go unnoticed for weeks (or more) if breaker is off for some reason.
It is absolutely required, I have one commonly used light on the smoke alarm circuit to meet code for this prupose. I also ended up with seven smoke alarms, my original design was for six but I needed to make a ceiling hole to get wires to a hard to get to light in a fancy plastered ceiling, might as well make it 4 inches round and put a seventh in, easier to patch... I did combo CO and smoke for all, one in boiler room, laundry room, bottom of basement stairs, first floor front hall, centre hall, then second floor hall and third floor hall both of those for bedrooms on those levels. One goes off, they all go off, way louder than battery only. The smoke alarms are a building code thing (one in or outside every bedroom, min one on each floor, etc.) so I am not sure how the ESA will care if none are there but as a home owner doing the electrical work you need to take everything up a notch to show them you are not an idiot, as most DIY are.

In that context, when I answered the door for the ESA guy that did my rough-in and service this time, he had that usual look in his eyes expecting the DIY worse. Showed him the service, then he looked at the stuff on the way to the basement (all better than most electricians will do, but I make sure for these on the way :) ) and then he was blown away by the panel etc.. Said you have obviously done this before (which I have, too many times), less than 20 minutes onsite. couple minor defects on the service due to new code changes i missed, I fixed in 20 minutes and sent the pictures and he passed it. They really are not there to give you a hard time, just to make sure you are doing it right.

My experience with the ESA, at all levels, has been great over the ages.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom