Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 142 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

FINALLY got a hold of someone at ENERCARE to figure out my options:

1. eligible for direct exchange with 15 month free rental @ current rate of $25/month after 15 months
2. Enercare picks up the hot water tank - no charge
3. I drop off the hot water tank - no charge
4. I buy out the tank for $28.25

Tank was installed in 2005.

I'm leaning toward option #4.
Just in case you were considering #1. Look at this chart and compare the numbers vs the cost for you to buy a tank. Remember you are paying $300 a year for the tank. Retained values is dropping by 50-100 a year which means you are paying 200-250 a year for maintenance and financing. How often have you needed HWT repair?. You are way way up by owning (and avoid the evil). Keep in mind they install six year warranty tanks, do no preventative maintenance on them and tell you they are still worth ~30% after 13 years. They basically keep you horrendously underwater with no way to escape other than a punch in the nuts.

The tank currently is a 60USGAL. HVAC guy quoted me a 50USGAL tank 2 years ago for $1800...had a guy quote me $950 for a new 50USGAL a few weeks ago (when he replaced the Enbridge gas meter).

Need to do some research.

Have considered a heat pump, or even a tankless. Not sure what's best for us (family of 6).

The tank currently is a 60USGAL. HVAC guy quoted me a 50USGAL tank 2 years ago for $1800...had a guy quote me $950 for a new 50USGAL a few weeks ago (when he replaced the Enbridge gas meter).

Have considered a heat pump, or even a tankless. Not sure what's best for us (family of 6).
I think tankless is the worst option for almost everybody. Keep in mind that you need a flush kit (often not included) and yearly chemical flushes for it to last (or have a warranty at all). That alone pretty much kills any cost savings they pretend to have.

From an operational perspective, I don't like tankless. If you want a trickle of warm water to rinse off dishes or something, it can't do it. It needs a flow of a few gpm before it will light.

The only major upsides to tankless are if you want six people to shower at once (and I'm not convinced that most are big enough to do that without them all being lukewarm) or if you really need the space back (eg, shrink mech room to add a basement bathroom).

Doesn't matter buy it out before they change their mind think about it after. You may not need to act for years.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Doesn't matter buy it out before they change their mind think about it after. You may not need to act for years.

In my last house, buyout was $100 so I did it on the same call. I was there for years after with no issues. Current house I am stuck. Tank is literally garbage and they want four figures to get out of it. I am hoping it starts to leak soon (drain nearby) so I can get them to take their garbage to the dump. They are solely responsible for determining eol. If you tell them you are leaving, they will likely replace every damned part to keep you from escaping but there's nothing they can do with the tank itself.

I think tankless is the worst option for almost everybody. Keep in mind that you need a flush kit (often not included) and yearly chemical flushes for it to last (or have a warranty at all). That alone pretty much kills any cost savings they pretend to have.

From an operational perspective, I don't like tankless. If you want a trickle of warm water to rinse off dishes or something, it can't do it. It needs a flow of a few gpm before it will light.

The only major upsides to tankless are if you want six people to shower at once (and I'm not convinced that most are big enough to do that without them all being lukewarm) or if you really need the space back (eg, shrink mech room to add a basement bathroom).
I have a 60 gallon holding tank heated by the gshp that feeds to a small electric tankless heater for the final temp boost. Works well and the tankless can make just enough hot water for 1 shower even if the heat pump hasn't run for days.

In my last house, buyout was $100 so I did it on the same call. I was there for years after with no issues. Current house I am stuck. Tank is literally garbage and they want four figures to get out of it. I am hoping it starts to leak soon (drain nearby) so I can get them to take their garbage to the dump. They are solely responsible for determining eol. If you tell them you are leaving, they will likely replace every damned part to keep you from escaping but there's nothing they can do with the tank itself.
When I had a rental buyout was always more than a new one and they made I very difficult to get out of.

Mother effers...soon as I said I want to buy it out...I get dumped into an endless loop of 'please hold (music)....'

Hopefully you get through by tomorrow and the price doesn't change.

Let's hope so....should've cancelled it on the spot. Dammit.

EDIT: Done. Hung up, called back and told them I want to replace my water tank depending on what they can do...immediately to sales / retention and then I cancelled it. $28.25.

Sure hope the water tank doesn't **** the bed this weekend...

Last edited:
Speaking of Barrinas, I've watched 16 four footers die in my garage.
So I ordered an led 5 way bulb type thing from amazon. Just arrived. It's crazy bright, and if it last more than a few weeks, I'm gold. $29.

Screenshot_20211203-142520_Samsung Internet.jpg

So simply doing the math on the water heater (if I was to get a new one):

- Install: $0
- Rent: $24.27/month
- 15 years = $4,368.68
- 15 months free = ($364.05)
- Total obligation = $4,004.63

New Furnace: $1,800 + HST = $2,034

So you're basically paying double...over 15 years of free maintenance and service?

Am I missing something?

So simply doing the math on the water heater (if I was to get a new one):

- Install: $0
- Rent: $24.27/month
- 15 years = $4,368.68
- 15 months free = ($364.05)
- Total obligation = $4,004.63

New Furnace: $1,800 + HST = $2,034

So you're basically paying double...over 15 years of free maintenance and service?

Am I missing something?
Ime, getting them out to do work is painful. When I had a problem with a leaking TPRV they said stay home and we will be there wednesday or thursday. F you. It's a $30 part. I am not sitting at home for two days waiting for you to show up.

I'm assuming you're doing a 50 gallon powervent? 1800 seems steep. You can pick one up at homedepot for 1100, probably less if you wait for a sale. 700 to install is a lot imo. Old tank may be balls heavy and need to be cut up for you to get it out without a power stair climber. Having someone else do that is worth something.

EDIT:
1800 definitely sucks. You could rent a new enercare PV50, cancel when your 15 months free are up and buy out the tank for 1553+hst.

EDIT 2:
@mimico_polak More dodginess. Rental rate for a PV50 is 31.45. Are they giving you free months to get you past the window where you can argue that the price is 30% above what you thought you agreed to?

Last edited:
One guy quoted me $900 installed…seems awfully cheap. But maybe. The $1800 quote was pre-COVID pricing too.

Ime, getting them out to do work is painful. When I had a problem with a leaking TPRV they said stay home and we will be there wednesday or thursday. F you. It's a $30 part. I am not sitting at home for two days waiting for you to show up.

I'm assuming you're doing a 50 gallon powervent? 1800 seems steep. You can pick one up at homedepot for 1100, probably less if you wait for a sale. 700 to install is a lot imo. Old tank may be balls heavy and need to be cut up for you to get it out without a power stair climber. Having someone else do that is worth something.

EDIT:
1800 definitely sucks. You could rent a new enercare PV50, cancel when your 15 months free are up and buy out the tank for 1553+hst.

EDIT 2:
@mimico_polak More dodginess. Rental rate for a PV50 is 31.45. Are they giving you free months to get you past the window where you can argue that the price is 30% above what you thought you agreed to?
1. Where did you get the buyout figure of $1553+HST? I would assume the buyout after 15 months would be much more
2. We didn't get to that discussion. They just said they'll give me a new version of what I have (60USGAL) for the same price of $24/month with 15 free months

1. Where did you get the buyout figure of $1553+HST? I would assume the buyout after 15 months would be much more
2. We didn't get to that discussion. They just said they'll give me a new version of what I have (60USGAL) for the same price of $24/month with 15 free months
I posted the link this morning in this thread with buyout amounts.

Back
Top Bottom