Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 124 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I use an electric oven now , gas ovens are dry, electric heat moist and gas ovens 'cycle' on the temp a bit up/down.
40" gas 5 burner cook top, use the all at times. We use a mix of stainless pans, cast iron and copper pots depending on the job, i've used induction but love the gas on/off instant.
Thanks. Doesn't make sense to me as burning gas releases moisture (normally ring of condensation around the vent on ours). Temp variability while cycling is a distinct possibility. I don't have a min/max heat safe thermometer to check.

I will add that whatever @jc100 looks at, pay attention to where the oven heat comes out. Many stoves leave a permanent heat/grease stain where the vent is. Many stove manufacturers don't seem to give a crap and dump it out in a very visible location. The current gas stove comes straight up and out through black cast iron so keeping it clean looking isn't hard (I'm sure there is still build up there but not enough for me to be annoyed by).

On a similar note, most slide in stoves have a fan to keep the control panel cool. Another failure point that conventional stoves don't have. I would prefer a conventional stove for many reasons (kids, less failure points, larger people adjusting the dials or pressing buttons with their belly, etc) but people expect slide in now.

Thanks. Doesn't make sense to me as burning gas releases moisture (normally ring of condensation around the vent on ours). Temp variability while cycling is a distinct possibility. I don't have a min/max heat safe thermometer to check.

I will add that whatever @jc100 looks at, pay attention to where the oven heat comes out. Many stoves leave a permanent heat/grease stain where the vent is. Many stove manufacturers don't seem to give a crap and dump it out in a very visible location. The current gas stove comes straight up and out through black cast iron so keeping it clean looking isn't hard (I'm sure there is still build up there but not enough for me to be annoyed by).

On a similar note, most slide in stoves have a fan to keep the control panel cool. Another failure point that conventional stoves don't have. I would prefer a conventional stove for many reasons (kids, less failure points, larger people adjusting the dials or pressing buttons with their belly, etc) but people expect slide in now.

LG has a slide induction in with gas style knobs. Actually looks pretty swish.

homeowner is allowed to install a new service? TIL. So did you install 100 (or 200) amp from a new meter base to new panel and there is currently an old 60 amp meter base connected to an old 60 amp panel? Provider will connect the wires in the meter base when you are ready?
Yes, homeowner is permitted to do everything with ESA inspection, "not allowed" to have someone that does not live in the house help. I am replacing an 80 year old 100 amp service (fuses, meter in basement, etc) with a 100 amp in a new location as required (closer to front of the house). My total calculated load (by code calcs) is 61 amps (no pool, hot tub, etc.). I also rewired the entire house, all new from the new panel to new boxes. When I pulled the permit 200 amp was more money than I wanted to spend (at the time) but if I was starting from scratch now I would go 200. I designed and installed everything to make a 200 amp upgrade in the future very simple (new meter base, service wires and panel, all other wiring has enough slack to fit a 200 amp panel). I dragged my ass and renewed the permit a few times ($$$$s), decided to push and get it all done this year.

Once the inspector does the "paper work" on the permit (might take a day) I call Toronto Hydro and they will schedule a service move from the old mast to the new one. In the pic (hard to get a good photo) you can see the new service and on the other side of the chimney the drop going to the old one. When they move the entire old wiring will be dead. So now I rush to get as much done (complete circuits by adding devices) before they cut over otherwise you have no power anywhere!

Attachments

• 20211028_132034.jpg
    20211028_132034.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
On a similar note, most slide in stoves have a fan to keep the control panel cool. Another failure point that conventional stoves don't have.
I find this a minor pain with my slide-in induction. The air blows out the front just under the top, right where you are often standing. They should vent the air to the back, or bottom so it's not blowing on you.

I find this a minor pain with my slide-in induction. The air blows out the front just under the top, right where you are often standing. They should vent the air to the back, or bottom so it's not blowing on you.
My guess is it's a cop out for fire code. You can pretty much guarantee no flammable material in front of the stove (other than a person's clothes but presumably a person would react). Down or back could have something flammable or restrict the airflow in a crap install.

My guess is it's a cop out for fire code. You can pretty much guarantee no flammable material in front of the stove (other than a person's clothes but presumably a person would react). Down or back could have something flammable or restrict the airflow in a crap install.
True, you're probably right, but I find the air blowing out to be chilly. They turn the fan on even if you've only got one element on low. Even with several elements on, I don't find much increase in the air temp blowing out.

True, you're probably right, but I find the air blowing out to be chilly. They turn the fan on even if you've only got one element on low. Even with several elements on, I don't find much increase in the air temp blowing out.
My guess is they had an issue with components on the board getting too hot and dropping MTBF. They figured it was cheaper/easier to use a fan than bigger heatsinks. No thermostat for fan as that costs something. Airstream doesnt warm up much as we are only talking about a few watts of heat but when it was concentrated on a couple components they were cooking.

Playing with a friends hood/mua last week. Big hood had a remote speed controlled fan. Mua was a single speed fan that turned on whenever hood was on at all. At one point mua had a 10 KW duct heater but that died a fiery death at some point. Result was exhaust fan on low resulted in huge stream of cold air blowing on your feet. Not cool. Disabled the MUA fan so now the exhaust fan slightly depressurizes the house but decent airflow comes through MUA ducting so probably not a big deal. That oven dumped oven heat through a vent underneath so it was actually quite comfortable standing in front of stove once there wasn't 1000+ cfm of cold air blowing on you.

@jc100 we have an induction range from Kitchen Aid. We looked at many including higher end ones, but picked this one up because it really meets our uses and was reasonably priced. It’s a slide in and has a 2nd lower heating area too. I’ve always had gas ranges, so this took a bit of getting used to, but I do really like it.

We have used it a lot and have had no issues in 2 years of use. Bought it from Goemans and they included a nice set of induction cookware.

i-MR8bVfM-4K.jpg

@jc100 we have an induction range from Kitchen Aid. We looked at many including higher end ones, but picked this one up because it really meets our uses and was reasonably priced. It’s a slide in and has a 2nd lower heating area too. I’ve always had gas ranges, so this took a bit of getting used to, but I do really like it.

We have used it a lot and have had no issues in 2 years of use. Bought it from Goemans and they included a nice set of induction cookware.

i-MR8bVfM-4K.jpg
Are you leaving the 'murica sticker on it?

We've been in this house almost three years and used the dining room maybe three times. It is ridiculously expensive space to never be used. It would be fun to turn it into an awesome pantry but I suspect the house would be hard to sell as people expect a dining room.
We also used to have a dining room that never got used and the living room also never got used. They were really closed off by walls and kinda reminded me of when I was a kid and people used to have covers on the living room furniture to keep the dust off. That was a big part of why we reno'd and opened up our main floor - we wanted to make better functional use of the whole floor and now it's so much better.

We replaced the old dining room with a better laid out kitchen and now the kitchen and dining area are combined into one space and only informally delineated. We figure if we design it well and maintain a high degree of function with aesthetics, then it will always sell, even without traditionally defined rooms. It's not a style for everyone, but we also hope to be here for 15 or more years, so might as well do it now and enjoy it.

i-MR8bVfM-4K.jpg

I've never bought appliances anywhere other than Goemans.
Nearly 50yrs ago, I bought a spark igniter for the bbq there (still on Ottawa St in hamilton). No gas, no flint no maintenance. It works as good today as the day I got it.
Here's my smooth top bought from Goemans 7 yrs ago. .......I miss coil elements.

20211029_112452.jpg

I've never bought appliances anywhere other than Goemans.
Nearly 50yrs ago, I bought a spark igniter for the bbq there (still on Ottawa St in hamilton). No gas, no flint no maintenance. It works as good today as the day I got it.
Here's my smooth top bought from Goemans 7 yrs ago. .......I miss coil elements.

View attachment 52028
This was our first time buying from Goeman's and we immediately had some issues with the hood vent, the microwave and the glass cooktop, They were really good overall with making things right, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I get that issues happen and they made it right with no fuss.

But we did get a Miele dishwasher from them and have only used it once in over 2 years and that was just to do an initial cycle.

We also used to have a dining room that never got used and the living room also never got used. They were really closed off by walls and kinda reminded me of when I was a kid and people used to have covers on the living room furniture to keep the dust off. That was a big part of why we reno'd and opened up our main floor - we wanted to make better functional use of the whole floor and now it's so much better.

We replaced the old dining room with a better laid out kitchen and now the kitchen and dining area are combined into one space and only informally delineated. We figure if we design it well and maintain a high degree of function with aesthetics, then it will always sell, even without traditionally defined rooms. It's not a style for everyone, but we also hope to be here for 15 or more years, so might as well do it now and enjoy it.
The breakfast area in this house easily seats eight. I can put three more at the island. The only time I use the dining room is if I have more than 11 people over (and it's cold, if it's warm lots of people can sit outside). With a normal layout where the breakfast area sat ~four people, we would use the dining room a lot more.

My buddy moved into a new house with a similar layout (but much bigger) and we worked out a layout where he can arrange three tables in his dining room to seat 25 (he has a big family) but collapse the arrangement most of the time so it doesn't look so ridiculous.

This was our first time buying from Goeman's and we immediately had some issues with the hood vent, the microwave and the glass cooktop, They were really good overall with making things right, so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I get that issues happen and they made it right with no fuss.
I've only had 1 issue, ever. The new kit aid stove gave up one element switch a week in. They sent a guy right away who fixed it.

But we did get a Miele dishwasher from them and have only used it once in over 2 years and that was just to do an initial cycle.
You're not dishwasher people? It's interesting that there seems to be a hard line between dishwasher people and sink people.

You're not dishwasher people? It's interesting that there seems to be a hard line between dishwasher people and sink people.
Haha no, I use the same cutlery and dishes every day. It would take us a week to fill that dishwasher and then I'd be without my favourite spoon and fork!

Back
Top Bottom