Elephant in the Covid room | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Elephant in the Covid room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now is the time to throw the vaccine at as many as possible. Open up as many temp jab clinics as you can, anywhere and everywhere. The issue has been the same as real estate...location, location location. If people dont have to travel very far and dont have to wait for hours they will go.
Also limited supply. They are reasonably getting it in arms at the speed it arrives in the country. I think 10M shots made it in and 7M are in arms so far. You have internal logistics and then almost every clinic sitting on a days to week supply to keep them going so I expect some lag.

Also limited supply. They are reasonably getting it in arms at the speed it arrives in the country. I think 10M shots made it in and 7M are in arms so far. You have internal logistics and then almost every clinic sitting on a days to week supply to keep them going so I expect some lag.
My shot is scheduled for two weeks from now.
The vaccine for that might not even be in the country now, or it might have been set aside when I booked.

Edit removed, due to a second look at it.

Just heard from a buddy in the healthcare business . People are booking appointments with drug stores in several locations . They are also doing this to get their second shot .

I would have thought someone was keeping track .
That’s where I booked. Booked Sunday, jabbed Tuesday. My wife just walked in and got hers.

I don’t think the communication machine is in gear, the pharmacy I was at had 400 doses, not all were booked after 3 days, as I mentioned earlier you could just walk in ang get jabbed.

sad, municipal public health units have had a year to get ready and they really are failing with the rollout.

Yay for us. I’d have gladly stepped aside so a full time cashier at No Frills could have got theirs.

My wife got hers yesterday. I get mine next Fri.
Our 2nd jab is on July 28.

My wife got hers yesterday. I get mine next Fri.
Our 2nd jab is on July 28.
Isn't there suppose to be a certain amount of days when you are suppose to get the second shot? Like you cannot wait too long for it.

Isn't there suppose to be a certain amount of days when you are suppose to get the second shot? Like you cannot wait too long for it.
Pfizer trials were done at 21 days, Moderna trials at 28 days. Being discussed in another thread. Nobody knows the optimum delay, they just tested for good enough. CDC say ~6 weeks ok. Other vaccines are happy with longer delays. Nobody knows for sure.

That's what i thought too. They couldn't give us an answer as to why so long.

That's what i thought too. They couldn't give us an answer as to why so long.
The data I saw when they were making decisions for californias plan (January?) was something like first dose was 65% effective (at no symptoms, there were no hospitalizations reported after one shot) and the second dose took you up to 95%. As a public health measure, getting one shot in twice the people is far more effective. You limit the spread substantially and drastically drop the hospital beds required. I'm not sure if information further to that changes anything. If that is still true, as a public health measure, 2nd shots shouldn't start until all the first shots are in. Some exceptions for people highly exposed (eg ICU/LTC staff) makes sense to protect individuals (and by extension the viability of the healthcare system).

California chose to give most people one shot using the above logic. Again, not sure if that has changed. @Delboy likely knows more.

I think Ontario is operating on a similar strategy and gov't doesn't have the stones to say it. They are trying to get most people one shot (other than healthcare workers and LTC residents) and then giving out 2nd shots to placate people that two shots were required as per the manufacturer.

Last edited:
And shipping them to soldiers and kingston general and . . .

They are trying to keep some space in the hot spots so if it explodes they can quickly accommodate patients.
For those that like references see below. Kingston's main ICU is now full (30 beds). 17 of the patients were shipped in from Ontario Health East region (Ottawa?). They are expecting five more to be delivered tomorrow. They have 18 beds in a secondary ICU.

For those that like references see below. Kingston's main ICU is now full (30 beds). 17 of the patients were shipped in from Ontario Health East region (Ottawa?). They are expecting five more to be delivered tomorrow. They have 18 beds in a secondary ICU.

also Kingston..

The data I saw when they were making decisions for californias plan (January?) was something like first dose was 65% effective (at no symptoms, there were no hospitalizations reported after one shot) and the second dose took you up to 95%. As a public health measure, getting one shot in twice the people is far more effective. You limit the spread substantially and drastically drop the hospital beds required. I'm not sure if information further to that changes anything. If that is still true, as a public health measure, 2nd shots shouldn't start until all the first shots are in. Some exceptions for people highly exposed (eg ICU/LTC staff) makes sense to protect individuals (and by extension the viability of the healthcare system).

California chose to give most people one shot using the above logic. Again, not sure if that has changed. @Delboy likely knows more.

I think Ontario is operating on a similar strategy and gov't doesn't have the stones to say it. They are trying to get most people one shot (other than healthcare workers and LTC residents) and then giving out 2nd shots to placate people that two shots were required as per the manufacturer.
The problem is we don't know how long the first shot lasts. There's a possibility that it peaks at 65% and then sharply tapers off, disappearing within a month, without the boost from the second. This is something we need to know before making decisions.

The problem is we don't know how long the first shot lasts. There's a possibility that it peaks at 65% and then sharply tapers off, disappearing within a month, without the boost from the second. This is something we need to know before making decisions.

That decision has been made for us.

Douggie gets his first shot soon and he is getting AZ. Good for him. I suspect our baby-in-chief got the first shots over the border.

also Kingston..

Yeah, as I was packing up to head home yesterday afternoon, there were about 20 guys in the courtyard either playing games or exercising. I'm sure all the weights and bands etc. were well sanitized between users.

I wonder if the protesters in Aylmer will get vaccine before others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom