Ding and Run - what would you do? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ding and Run - what would you do?

That was dumb. If it ever goes to court... You now have no witness.
I thought of that. I bought her one of those stainless steel LCBO lburner cards... like the samsung fridges, no fingerprints to trace and I know the lcbo makes averyone wear masks.

But thanks for the heads up, witness tampering is probably worse than hit and run. I'll fo a couple of "hail Marys"

So …. Driving to the gun shop yesterday , with a policeman in the car , yes there is leaving the scene charge possible , even on private property , since it involves licensed motor vehicles , however stop signs on private property dont count , they can lay a trespassing charge . It’s pretty weird . They can also lay a criminal charge if there is any injury in the accident.
The grey area is , there is a dollar value limit on what needs to be reported , so failing to report an accident is possible, however if the car that hits you says ‘ I looked and saw nothing’ then photos are required . He said as a cop , they hate this stuff as it happens to everyone, and happens a lot.
Trip the the gun shop was also awesome

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

So …. Driving to the gun shop yesterday , with a policeman in the car , yes there is leaving the scene charge possible , even on private property , since it involves licensed motor vehicles , however stop signs on private property dont count , they can lay a trespassing charge . It’s pretty weird . They can also lay a criminal charge if there is any injury in the accident.
The grey area is , there is a dollar value limit on what needs to be reported , so failing to report an accident is possible, however if the car that hits you says ‘ I looked and saw nothing’ then photos are required . He said as a cop , they hate this stuff as it happens to everyone, and happens a lot.

The cop that took the report said there is a legal requirement to report damages to the police if damage exceeds $2000. Below $2000 reporting is voluntary providing both parties agree NOT TO REPORT.

Fail to stop after an accident is a criminal offense no matter how trivial (section 320.16 (1) of the Criminal Code). That's the card the police can play if the owners can't settle the affair themselves -- in the cops word 'the situation goes sideways because the offending driver fails to make good, he has been informed and understands this applies".

doesn't trespassing require a)you need to be asked to leave first and b)needs a complaintant? And i don't believe police can be that person.

Sorry that happened to you! I guess you got the 2nd best of case scenario of a bad situation (had she stayed it would've been less of a hassle)

I personally don't have one but don't most cars have backup cameras nowadays with a warning chirp? Or is it still a NAV package option for most?
And yeah depending on the paint and car model, that cost for repairs can go up pretty darn quick.

Sorry that happened to you! I guess you got the 2nd best of case scenario of a bad situation (had she stayed it would've been less of a hassle)

I personally don't have one but don't most cars have backup cameras nowadays with a warning chirp? Or is it still a NAV package option for most?
And yeah depending on the paint and car model, that cost for repairs can go up pretty darn quick.
Every car for the last bunch of years was legally required to have a backup camera (maybe 2015 or so?). Afaik, no legal requirement is even proposed for sensors/beeping.

Spare me.....who's gonna know? And she might be even more willing to come to court now.

The witness knows...
Do you think someone who is the type of person to take note of details, stick around to provide those details to OP and involve themselves as a witness... Is also the type of person that is going to lie to a court?

If it does come out.. it'll be because the witness unintentionally 'rats' them out.

Looks like a pain in the butt situation. Like some have said, call the cops to report it. Sounds like there is enough damage to be annoying and not just walk away without them paying for it. I guess you have to get insurance involved if the person doesn't cooperate, but that could be time limited.

Good luck hope you make the best of it.

I still remember years ago I got hit in my brand new Genesis. Stopped at an exit from a gas station, guy in front of me hits reverse and damages my bumper. Comes out yelling and swearing in Polish, I respond in Polish and he calms down. I tell him I'll get a quote ($600 but gave him $800 because he would for sure haggle) and he tells me off for trying to rip him off.

- So when will you pay me the $800
- Never. You're ripping me off and it should be no more than $200
- OK well I have a quote here for $800 for you to prove to you
- No, I'm not going to pay
- OK cool, well I'm outside of the police station right now and going in to talk to them
- You're lying
- OK...click

I walk into the police station, because I was actually outside of it, and they tell me 'if he offers you a dollar take it, because unless you've got video no one is going to believe he backed into you. It'll look like you hit him from behind'.

Guy calls back
- so what did the cops say?
- they told me that I can file a report and get evidence from the cameras at the gas station as there's a few there and they keep them for a week
- OK OK OK I'll be at the same location I hit you at in 15min

Got my $800, repaired my bumper. Turns out the guy was illegally in the country, and was terrified to get deported.

ahh the gun shop. yippee. kid in a candy store lmao.
was gifted some moose meat today, and didn't even have to be out in the rain ..

Got my $800, repaired my bumper. Turns out the guy was illegally in the country, and was terrified to get deported.
While I feel bad that he had backed himself into a corner and I am happy to have hardworking immigrants, we have more than enough pricks around already, I wouldn't be too upset if he got the boot. If you are living on the edge you need to be the most caring, upstanding person to minimize your chances of trouble. Backing into someone, then telling them to f off, you're not paying? Screw you.

doesn't trespassing require a)you need to be asked to leave first and b)needs a complaintant? And i don't believe police can be that person.
cops told my son in law he needed to have a no tresspassing sign.
seems the local kids? like to cut through our two backyards for a mx like short cut lol going through bushes n over fences to come out on the next block. lil bass tards - who do they think they are? me when I was young? lmao SIL put up two signs. hmm.

About $600 to fix.

1638825709353.png

Back
Top Bottom