Ding and Run - what would you do? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ding and Run - what would you do?

The vehicle may get diminished value due to a collision and the insurers here don't allow for that. The victim gets hit again, possible worse than the offender. Make his life miserable. I thought hit and run was a criminal charge and under the criminal code, not HTA.

The vehicle may get diminished value due to a collision and the insurers here don't allow for that. The victim gets hit again, possible worse than the offender. Make his life miserable. I thought hit and run was a criminal charge and under the criminal code, not HTA.
I'd be shocked if the cop laid the charge for a parking lot incident with no injuries. To convict, they need that witness to testify.

I'd be shocked if the cop laid the charge for a parking lot incident with no injuries. To convict, they need that witness to testify.
The cop was fantastic. He let the other guy know that a criminal leaving the scene was pending an acceptable resolution otherwise.

They contacted the nice pink haired woman who did the nice deed, she agreed to help however she could.

The cop was fantastic. He let the other guy know that a criminal leaving the scene was pending an acceptable resolution otherwise.

They contacted the nice pink haired woman who did the nice deed, she agreed to help however she could.
Awesome. If you want to bolster the pink lady fund, send me a PM and I will contribute. We need more of her out there.

I sent her a gift card.

To me a hit and run is like land mine. The perpetrator has no idea of the financial status of the owner of the other property. Maybe it belongs to a person with a thick wallet but maybe a single mom, who trying to balance a budget, went with minimal insurance.

A buddy out riding on his Goldwing got hit by a left turn runner. He was OK after a short hospital stay. A tip for anyone considering leaving the scene: Don't leave your front licence plate embedded in the side box of the motorcycle.

The police got to the runner's place before my buddy got to the hospital. "I guess I should have stayed" Yeah Bozo.

I have zero sympathy for anyone that hits and runs. Useless inconsiderate twats. I did it when I was 17, hit a car while backing up and ran because....I was 17 and scared poopless. Would never do that again.

Same goes for anyone driving under the influence.

Our justice system is a joke, and I hope that @Mad Mike gets his car repaired to better than new on that a$$hats dime.

There are usually the shock absorbers under a bumper and they do their job only once and has to be replaced.

Yeah and the shock absorbers that were part of the bumpers on the old skool big chrome bumpers when the USA first brought in the 5 mph bumper requirements (1973-ish?) have long since been replaced with "crash cans" that are built into the structure of the bumper - the piece underneath that everyone calls the "crash bar". The piece that extends back to where the crash bar attaches to the unibody is intentionally deformable ... once!

There was a time when the bumper standards originally came out that the car was supposed to survive the 5 mph hit without damage. Those days are long gone. The worst offenders are some compact CUVs in which the hatch extends down into what is cosmetically the bumper, and the distance between the hatch and whatever you back into, is 0. Some of them have designed a replaceable panel into the bottom of the hatch ... but it's still a painted part, which means it has to be painted to match if it ever has to be replaced.

$ $ $ ! ! ! Old article, but the situation hasn't gotten any better ... SUV Pick Ups BUMPERS DON'T RESIST DAMAGE

Yeah and the shock absorbers that were part of the bumpers on the old skool big chrome bumpers when the USA first brought in the 5 mph bumper requirements (1973-ish?) have long since been replaced with "crash cans" that are built into the structure of the bumper - the piece underneath that everyone calls the "crash bar". The piece that extends back to where the crash bar attaches to the unibody is intentionally deformable ... once!

There was a time when the bumper standards originally came out that the car was supposed to survive the 5 mph hit without damage. Those days are long gone. The worst offenders are some compact CUVs in which the hatch extends down into what is cosmetically the bumper, and the distance between the hatch and whatever you back into, is 0. Some of them have designed a replaceable panel into the bottom of the hatch ... but it's still a painted part, which means it has to be painted to match if it ever has to be replaced.

$ $ $ ! ! ! Old article, but the situation hasn't gotten any better ... SUV Pick Ups BUMPERS DON'T RESIST DAMAGE
I assume the hidden damage would prevent the owner getting a safety later on in the car's life.

Buddy of mine used to leave a bit of cdn tire cash under the windshield wiper of anything he hit in parking lots, then he'd run.

Baller.

How does he do it now with Triangle? Leave his PIN number?

Baller.

How does he do it now with Triangle? Leave his PIN number?
Circa 1976ish.
Remember the yellow peel region cop cars? He bought (or possibly stole) one.....a malibu.
He'd come flying into the strip mall lot (hangout......diagonally across from our original home bar)) in the air from hitting the ramp so fast, it was priceless. It landed on the back of a parked corvair one day......everyone lifted it off quick.....he left some (cdn tire) cash, and fled.

Circa 1976ish.

Yellow cop cars?

76 I was channeling my inner Bibo playing cat & mouse with the NRP on a CR250 Elsinore.

Circa 1976ish.
Remember the yellow peel region cop cars? He bought (or possibly stole) one.....a malibu.
He'd come flying into the strip mall lot (hangout......diagonally across from our original home bar)) in the air from hitting the ramp so fast, it was priceless. It landed on the back of a parked corvair one day......everyone lifted it off quick.....he left some (cdn tire) cash, and fled.
Haha that’s awesome. My buddy had a Marauder that he outfitted with cop lights and would chase his buddies, and pretend to pull people over with before he fled…

Good times back in early 2000s.

I think you'll find the police ae quite helpful , but I also think you might find in a private parking lot, there is no leaving the scene or hit and run charges to be laid, its not a highway.
I've been through this 3 times , twice the Halton police helped leverage a settlement, but told me the other party could have said 'just call your insurance' and last time the other party said call your insurance and give them my plate # if you want , have a nice day sorry.

My wife's Yamaha vino scooter was tipped over by a car at walmart, old guy offered her $800 cash, maximum he could get out of the ATM if she didnt call his insurance , he was convinced at 80+ they would pull his drivers ticket. Ten minutes with rubbing compound sorted it out.

I got rear ended on the 401 the Thanksgiving before covid. I told the girl who hit me "we can wait for the cops or you can admit fault on video". Lucky my son was there with his phone.
The "scratch" was about $2100 to fix. (not gonna happen on a '08 yaris). Insurance only pays 66% of repair cost if you want cash instead.
The KICKER - they wanted to give me $900 because there was $500 deductable, UNTIL I reminded them I was not at fault.
Negative option billing anyone????

Back
Top Bottom