Ding and Run - what would you do? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ding and Run - what would you do?

Mad Mike

I just stopped into a plaza to get a sandwich, when I returned to my car a nice lady flagged me down to let me know someone dinged my car then left. She said he pulled in directly in front of me, appeared to hit the gas instead of the brake, and pushed my car back about a foot.

She got clear pics of him and his car with a license which she sent to me.

There is some minor damage to my car, the front bumper surround is pushed about 1/4" back over the headlight.

What would you do?

report it. leaving the scene tells me everything i need to know about that person.

many people don't get the opportunity for justice in these incidents.

If his car got pushed back a foot...I'd say that's more than a ding. Plus what's to pursue? The only real big time waster may be having to go to the collision reporting centre.

@Mad Mike got pics of the damage?
YRP paid him a visit, he acknowledged he hit the car and left. He told the cop he checked my car, saw no damage then left. A bit different than the witnesses' version of the story.

He offered an apology and agreed to pay for the repair. If he follows thru...case closed.

YRP paid him a visit, he acknowledged he hit the car and left. He told the cop he checked my car, saw no damage then left. A bit different than the witnesses' version of the story.

He offered an apology and agreed to pay for the repair. If he follows thru...case closed.
Perfect. Glad to hear it.

Too bad he didn’t get dinged with leaving the scene…but not sure how it applies to private property and not MTO roads.

Expect the story about offering to pay for the repair to change once you present an estimate. I presume (since YRP responded) that you've reported this at the collision reporting center.

Of course, if the vehicle is an old beater that you don't care about, perhaps it's another matter, but if it's a decent vehicle ... Bumper cover pushed back 1/4" over the headlight means something underneath is bent or broken, and I'll just about guarantee that if you give the vehicle a good wash, you'll find scrapes, scratches, or cracks in the bumper cover at the location of the hit. Fixing this properly probably starts at $1000 and goes up from there depending on what's bent underneath. If the crash bar (structural part of the bumper underneath the cosmetic cover) is deformed and that's why the cover is pushed back, you'll need a new one. The plastic cosmetic cover tends to bounce back towards its original shape. The crash bar underneath, not so much.

In a hit-and-run situation ... the other driver needs to be taught a lesson. Nothing does that better, than an expensive bill.

It's great someone observed it and get the offender's plate number.
It so familiar to me - Aurora Town Hall situated right next to Aurora Senior's Center and (before covid) when the shared parking lot is full (with some ppl parked badly over the white lines) so many accidents like "ding-n-run" happen here... I witnessed a few myself and always get the plate as I always think if it was my car got hit one day...

I've been hit from behind on the 401 in a beater Toyota pickup, which bent the rear bumper, and said "have a nice day". But a hit-and-run in which the offender was identified? I'd be wanting a brand spanking new bumper for my beater.

It's great someone observed it and get the offender's plate number.
It so familiar to me - Aurora Town Hall situated right next to Aurora Senior's Center and (before covid) when the shared parking lot is full (with some ppl parked badly over the white lines) so many accidents like "ding-n-run" happen here... I witnessed a few myself and always get the plate as I always think if it was my car got hit one day...
Bet the repair is 3 to 4,000 no matter what's wrong that seems to be a minimum for any damage

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Bet the repair is 3 to 4,000 no matter what's wrong that seems to be a minimum for any damage

Sent using a thumb maybe 2
I paid $800 to repair a bumper gouged years ago…nowadays….minimum 1500$ for a repair only. Anything underneath just keep adding.

If his car got pushed back a foot...I'd say that's more than a ding. Plus what's to pursue? The only real big time waster may be having to go to the collision reporting centre.

@Mad Mike got pics of the damage?
zcfRjgLubdddxRZRxxObvdakH9qgjPAZGZz8ThnPp92WPDDWXq5bP8oPKUptaCVSaVAZO8vf_jXfmDb55om1nOgdU8CdygUhtzYM6xgfu1N92du2kFl9W_H5GVb79W5Y3ys6vWsVEj-QX0RbatOKpsreKxleKC7JX2igk9APtHUDwXFrfRPBAVnqiSeD5gd4K7OCwz_5piSVL0nbmpsKZIaLNe52hVNzDKlrjGoscQq1ggT21PDp1ry502yeOBnEzrjgO5Caa-_agXLtkGsD1BJJNkui9QmGUXQcfFAo9Yvc1rTIFXXVBlxLqaefz12gX0vxh6iMFJxet6F2kWqfIXbqO6rpK2T_yaai2svaOMVH-O1J-GsKkkSiK3npO-3B-0XHrHgOlM845XNgwDWLq-wPYB7f22vsxOqiOgm5sBAafTgBpVluLHIkC4bx5M_vAlpFA91ENSCvr3lFVQOzQKGrCJrfKw1obzR98hVfBca1uQ5se7CHeoaDNhnqKGXPQJUvtT2xsWPPdGxF98LHebNYAw19EqiTclqWMFjiGE5bzRIqo4aH3L-j3NEYThd7vD9K3E02RBKyNXAQVUK0eeXB2siynjPdEk0dUrgwxrztOOBeKu-l7DDSbuP31YeAPjzCoeg4uYD9kQm7K5_YQ3z0vSH4NMJhO9t5_J2Af3pHDISakfCOaaazQFIvrh5qvZW3J8VQmMCKzLC_rLGVKFty=w700-h933-no

Expect the story about offering to pay for the repair to change once you present an estimate. I presume (since YRP responded) that you've reported this at the collision reporting center.

Of course, if the vehicle is an old beater that you don't care about, perhaps it's another matter, but if it's a decent vehicle ... Bumper cover pushed back 1/4" over the headlight means something underneath is bent or broken, and I'll just about guarantee that if you give the vehicle a good wash, you'll find scrapes, scratches, or cracks in the bumper cover at the location of the hit. Fixing this properly probably starts at $1000 and goes up from there depending on what's bent underneath. If the crash bar (structural part of the bumper underneath the cosmetic cover) is deformed and that's why the cover is pushed back, you'll need a new one. The plastic cosmetic cover tends to bounce back towards its original shape. The crash bar underneath, not so much.

In a hit-and-run situation ... the other driver needs to be taught a lesson. Nothing does that better, than an expensive bill.
People who don't take driving seriously get under my skin a bit. Filing the claim would 100% get my beater written off instantly, finding a good car for the payout money would be very difficult in today's market, and I would still file the claim. They can face the consequences of their actions.

Also I would buy that lady a sandwich or whatever her preference is

If you're lucky, the bumper cover just popped out of one of the clips, but something doesn't look right with the way the piece at the right is so tight below the marker light. It looks almost like that part has been pushed underneath a little.

Wash it. I think you're going to find more damage.

Back
Top Bottom