Daily sports car? | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

Personally it's not something I'd like to own, but I'm sure they're fun to drive.

The video plays to it's pluses perfectly. 5 minutes of drifting. To quote Brian - "all the bad things about a car, plus all the bad things about a motorcycle". If you want the (semi) open wheel experience of a Caterham, buy a Caterham. Or same but track only, a X-Bow. Much more refined and adept at the task.

The video plays to it's pluses perfectly. 5 minutes of drifting. To quote Brian - "all the bad things about a car, plus all the bad things about a motorcycle". If you want the (semi) open wheel experience of a Caterham, buy a Caterham. Or same but track only, a X-Bow. Much more refined and adept at the task.
Not only that....read the fine print at the start....400whp....whereas a stock one is approximately 170hp....big difference.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned some of the Ford hot hatches. Yes technically, not sports cars by definition. If you can get over it being a Ford, and don't have brand snobbery then they are good choices just like the Golf R and GTI.
I'm talking about the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, and RS. Fun as stink on the street, and get a few good laps in at the track too. I have a Focus ST 2014 which has been dead reliable, and an RS which was a hoot on the Cayuga track. Surprised me how fast that thing can take corners, and the lift off oversteer is intoxicating. Winter driving, no problem.

The bonus is they all come in manual only ?. Good luck finding one in stock form though. Others I'd consider as mentioned already. Type R, s2000, SI, 370z, g70 ( luxury though), stinger gt, mustang, Camaro,brz. A few mods and they are all fun cars without breaking the bank too much, let's be realistic.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned some of the Ford hot hatches. Yes technically, not sports cars by definition. If you can get over it being a Ford, and don't have brand snobbery then they are good choices just like the Golf R and GTI.
I'm talking about the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, and RS. Fun as stink on the street, and get a few good laps in at the track too. I have a Focus ST 2014 which has been dead reliable, and an RS which was a hoot on the Cayuga track. Surprised me how fast that thing can take corners, and the lift off oversteer is intoxicating. Winter driving, no problem.

The bonus is they all come in manual only ?. Good luck finding one in stock form though. Others I'd consider as mentioned already. Type R, s2000, SI, 370z, g70 ( luxury though), stinger gt, mustang, Camaro,brz. A few mods and they are all fun cars without breaking the bank too much, let's be realistic.
Likely because hot hatches are not sport cars, even if they will give most 'sporty' cars a run for their money on the track.

I like hot hatches.

However, i have a big beef with the Focus lineup. Namely that gas pedal that feels so cheap it will snap in half on heel-toe.

Likely because hot hatches are not sport cars, even if they will give most 'sporty' cars a run for their money on the track.

I like hot hatches.

However, i have a big beef with the Focus lineup. Namely that gas pedal that feels so cheap it will snap in half on heel-toe.

Not sure how cheap the pedal feels, never noticed, but it does sit a bit too low for proper heel toe, that's why there is aftermarket pedal spacers lol. But the foot tunnel is small too.

Not sure how cheap the pedal feels, never noticed, but it does sit a bit too low for proper heel toe, that's why there is aftermarket pedal spacers lol. But the foot tunnel is small too.
try nudging it from the side with your foot, feels like a wet noodle. :cautious:

There nice cars for sure, though FWD which wasn't what the OP wanted. The RS is AWD, a wicked car... but out of the OP's price range. Plus the early models had engine issues with the wrong head gasket installed from new, sigh. Manufactured properly, I the RS is a great and a viable option to the Golf R and other hot compact AWD cars.

There nice cars for sure, though FWD which wasn't what the OP wanted. The RS is AWD, a wicked car... but out of the OP's price range. Plus the early models had engine issues with the wrong head gasket installed from new, sigh. Manufactured properly, I the RS is a great and a viable option to the Golf R and other hot compact AWD cars.

I had my head gasket replaced I know ??‍♂️ lol

If you can get over it being a Ford, and don't have brand snobbery then they are good choices just like the Golf R and GTI.

The RSs were built in Saarlouis, Germany

I'm aware, I own an ST,RS. Just said that for those who feel that way. They are Ford's euro division that designs those cars.
You can tell based on the suspension that they are used to perfect roads. Felt like a damn pogo stick when i drove one,

You can tell based on the suspension that they are used to perfect roads. Felt like a damn pogo stick when i drove one,

Lol yup. 2016, and 2017 models have the pogo especially in track mode. 2018 had revised dampers and it's somewhat smoother but still evident. I fixed most of the pogo with a small drop on Mountune springs.

Porsche 944. :p

Anyone tried ordering a C8 yet? Called a couple of dealers today and was told I'd likely be waiting until 2021... May not be a bad idea to let them sort out the growing pains of a first year production model but I honestly thought these things would be everywhere come spring.

Apparently C7's are heavily discounted.

Is it your only car?
Consider a Jetta GLI (fwd + slip diff = fun enough) or Genesis G70 or WRX STI or Q50 3.0t red sport

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this thread and was reading it again to go through some of the options as I'm conflicted. Possible mid-life crisis going on here (Almost 40!).

I want a car that's fun to drive, fairly economical (sub-15k) and RWD ideally with a manual transmission. For now we keep the Odyssey for my wife, and then the fun car for me instead of the bike for the time being.

Strongly debating going with the Miata (NC generation) as I've never had a convertible, and they seem to fit the bill....however....the BRZ/FRS are also calling my name as they're a bit more practical (i.e.: put in baby seats in a pinch) and a coupe just looks sexier in my opinion.

As for power, I'm not looking for monster power as you can't really use it anyway. If I could, I'd get an older GT Mustang convertible, as those can be had within the same price range.

Thoughts?

OP what did you end up buying?

Last edited:
The C8 is on a US tour, stopping at a dealership in NY today.
11am - 7pm.
Joe Basil Chevrolet, Depew NY.

Back
Top Bottom