Daily sports car? | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

MX-5 NC is a great little car, light maintenance, cheap insurance, very reliable (pretty much bulletproof), plenty of after market parts and accessories, and generally fun to drive. Top up or down.

Might be a little hard to find cheaper with the optional hard top but, patience will be rewarded.

Quite a few of the British car club owners in the area own them and love them for the trouble free motoring.

It’s not going to push you back into the seat with the thrust of a V6 or more but, the 6spd manual is nice to shift, it’s well balanced and can be tossed around with confidence.

Only a few knocks. Some folks don’t like the looks. Might be a little feminine to some. Others (or the same folks) expect more performance. And it’s not known for having the best storage space.

Cheap, reliable, fun. Not too many past and current owners report any complaints. Then again, most know what they are getting into.

Mustang will get you more power and a back seat but, can’t hide it’s weight.

The little beemers and other German machines get funky past their warrenty period. It’s not cheap to deal with the codes that start to occur. There is a reason why they depreciate so rapidly but, you have to pay to keep them road worthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thought I'd revive this thread, been looking over the 370z, Miata & V8 Mustangs somehow found something I didn't even consider before. Hyundai Genesis Coupe's.
They're reliable with their 3.8 V6's, Stick shift RWD and the rather low brand recognition has seen the prices drop more then their worth considering how much stuff they pack into the cabin and the car itself. Sat in one and there is plenty of space for being 6ft2 - only thing left now is to test drive a few and get a good deal setup, will take that part slowly. Like my Fz07, this thing is a lot of bang for your buck.
They come with 100K or 5 year warranties as well which is dam impressive, since 2016 was the last production year I reckon I'm getting in at a good time lol.

I'll definitely be doing some highway tests to check all of em - what sort of feedback does grinding into a gear give off?

You will know. You will hear an actual grinding noise and the shifter will kind of kick back into your hand as you try to shift into 5th. Just something to look into as they did it relatively new as well so it’s something that could pop up later.

I had the Genesis 3.8 6MT a few years ago....absolutely loved the car. Honestly the only reason I'm not looking at them...is because I've had one already. I had the original so the blah interior/exterior. But then they sharpened up the look and feel of the car, and I REALLY like what they've become.
They also boosted power on the 2.0 and the 3.8 and my 2010 had absolutely zero problems for the 4-5 years I've had it. Highly recommend. I actually miss that car.

EDIT: Zero issues with transmission grinding or making any type of noises. The engine sounded great with the stock exhaust also.

I had a 2010 Genesis Coupe.
Aqua Minerale Blue (Canada only color) with the 2.0t and the 6spd.

Owned it for 4 years and then sold it to my nephew who still drives it to this day.

The only problem I had with the car was a driveshaft bushing (a common issue on the gen 1 cars) but it was a $45 and 30min fix.

0 issues with drivetrain, electrical, or other mechanical and I drove that car hard.

It was modded and I had the 2.0t pushing 283rwhp and 340ft/lb of tq at the wheels.

The gen 2 cars came with more power and a slightly improved interior.

Genesis Coupe, visually, is a good pick imho

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

somehow found something I didn't even consider before. Hyundai Genesis Coupe's.

very good sleeper car that falls under many seekers radar, even mine!

although I would never stoop to a hyundai/kia myself, I totally see the appeal of this model, and can't fault you for considering it.

great find and sensible choice.

Last edited:
I had a 2010 Genesis Coupe.
Aqua Minerale Blue (Canada only color) with the 2.0t and the 6spd.

Owned it for 4 years and then sold it to my nephew who still drives it to this day.

The only problem I had with the car was a driveshaft bushing (a common issue on the gen 1 cars) but it was a $45 and 30min fix.

0 issues with drivetrain, electrical, or other mechanical and I drove that car hard.

It was modded and I had the 2.0t pushing 283rwhp and 340ft/lb of tq at the wheels.

The gen 2 cars came with more power and a slightly improved interior.
Oooo I had that awesome blue as well. Great driving, sounding, and maintenance free car during my time.

I’d look at the G70/Stinger if they were closer to my price range.

My wife's accent, my parents 2 different generations of sonata, all had problems with brakes. They jammed in pads into caliper with very tight fit so always seizing. Fix is to grind the tangs on pads a little (not the brake pad material)

Inlaws MT sonata has ****** clutch engagement.

Window trim paint is flaking off on accent.

Rear trunk gets stuck midway (the hydraulic bad maybe)

As much as I'd like to support products from my homeland, confidence in hyundai have have gone down.

Maybe these are only issues on cheaper models?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

My wife's accent, my parents 2 different generations of sonata, all had problems with brakes. They jammed in pads into caliper with very tight fit so always seizing. Fix is to grind the tangs on pads a little (not the brake pad material)

Inlaws MT sonata has ****** clutch engagement.

Window trim paint is flaking off on accent.

Rear trunk gets stuck midway (the hydraulic bad maybe)

As much as I'd like to support products from my homeland, confidence in hyundai have have gone down.

Maybe these are only issues on cheaper models?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

They are cheaper for a reason.

there are plenty of stories like this which is why this brand scares me long term.

An acquaintance of mine is a manager at a large Hyundai dealership and even with his big discount wouldnt touch one. He says the mechanics are plenty busy in his shop with engine swaps and other quality issue.

My hard earned money would rather be spent on most Japanese brands renowned overall for their long term quality with the exception of Nissan. They are just a Japanese version of GM and on a downward spiral.

A bit off topic but, specific to Hyundai.

Their engines have Direct Fuel Injection which carbons up some engines. Especially if they do more city driving.

Petro is a good cleaner and when it’s not passing through the intake/valves, it gets dirty.

They even recommend using a cleaning treatment in the owners manual.

You can still own them with plenty of trouble free kilometres etc but, they can also have major issues as well.

Edit. It’s not just Hyundai that has Direct injection systems. Just saying they are one of the more prominent with that configuration.

Over the years I have worked in service departments of the reliability leaders, Honda and Toyota, and Hyundai. I have zero qualms about recommending any current Hyundai models.

Yes, they are having some engine issues, but the main models with engines likely to fail have effectively a lifetime warranty. Not a bad deal.

Yes, they are having some engine issues, but the main models with engines likely to fail have effectively a lifetime warranty. Not a bad deal.

It is a bad deal actually.

And this is what many people fail to realize. The time wasted waiting for tow trucks, going back and forth to the dealer. Stuck with no car or going out to rent one while yours is getting repaired.

For me, I don't have Time to deal with service departments and engine warranty issues and back and forth to the dealer for repairs and fixes and such.

Forget the peace of mind of a warranty. Just give me reliability.

Yes. The Japanese have their issues. But it's a risk I'd be willing to take over the Korean brands.

And this is what many people fail to realize. The time wasted waiting for tow trucks, going back and forth to the dealer. Stuck with no car or going out to rent one while yours is getting repaired.

For me, I don't have Time to deal with service departments and engine warranty issues and back and forth to the dealer for repairs and fixes and such.

Yes. The Japanese have their issues. But it's a risk I'd be willing to take over the Korean brands.

Hyundai will reimburse you for a tow, and provide a rental. Not a big deal.

I've seen many failures from the Japanese as well, just not much support past warranty.

There are plenty of CRV owners ****** their engine failed from oil dilution and blaming it on owners for not warming their vehicles properly in cold weather conditions.

I've seen many failures from the Japanese as well, just not much support past warranty.

I had my $800 per corner fancy electronic shocks leak well past warranty on my japanese vehicle. On my next scheduled service for oil change, after it was brought to their attention, they replaced them for free past the regular warranty period.

And yet you have plenty of time to devote towards your backup career on here as a Tesla cheerleader.

Interesting :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom