Daily sports car? | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

Let me rephrase - there are US dealers selling them for MSRP.

And a lot more selling them well over MSRP:

From the moment the 2020 Corvette Stingray was announced with a sub-$60,000 starting price, everyone (rightly) proclaimed it a bargain.

It was also inevitable that some dealerships would start asking significant premiums for the first models they receive. So far, There have been reports of dealers slapping the new Corvette with markups of $30,000, or 50 percent above MSRP.

The ones selling close to MSRP are high-volume Corvette dealers. My bet is that no Canadian dealer is a "high-volume" dealer when compared to any US dealership.

Let me rephrase - there are US dealers selling them for MSRP.
Some forums are cataloging dealerships that are marking up (apparently up to +30K) and those selling at MSRP (apparently mostly high volume C7 dealers). That helps buyers avoid the wankers.

EDIT:
Hmm, same info posted above while I was typing. Now I look dumb.

Eventually they'll be selling for below MSRP (in the U.S atleast), after initial hype is gone. It happened with the C7, Hellcat, GT350 etc etc. Which is good for actual enthusiasts who want to drive these things

No different then the Civic Type R...they can't sell over MSRP but they add their 'fees' and 'features' or 'upgrades' and BOOM car costs a few thousand more just like that. Demand is there, so to me it's a bullcrap tactic...but they can get away with it.
The guy that sold me the Odyssey bought one and said he had to pay full pop for it.

Some forums are cataloging dealerships that are marking up (apparently up to +30K) and those selling at MSRP (apparently mostly high volume C7 dealers). That helps buyers avoid the wankers.

EDIT:
Hmm, same info posted above while I was typing. Now I look dumb.
nah, just slow! :LOL:

No different then the Civic Type R...they can't sell over MSRP but they add their 'fees' and 'features' or 'upgrades' and BOOM car costs a few thousand more just like that. Demand is there, so to me it's a bullcrap tactic...but they can get away with it.
The guy that sold me the Odyssey bought one and said he had to pay full pop for it.
I believe that's only in the U.S.

i don't believe you can mark up in Canada.

Actually, misread your post. :geek:
They’re not allowed to. Hence all the ‘added features’ they add.
They just make the money on the ancillaries that are automatically installed/added. That’s how the sales guy explained it to me.

Fun fact: that ecotec Solstice/Cobalt 2.4 engine is the one that's in the Polaris Slingshot in case you wanted to make a darn fast one.

@mimico_polak, I was reading up on the VW forums and found out that maybe some GTIs and other Golf models should be avoided. There was a class-action in the US (another is in Canada) around faulty cam chain tensioners... and this kind of stuff can be engine catastrophic. It's an EA888 engine issue for certain cars and years. As I said, models can be hit and miss year to year (both foreign and domestic). FWIW, it did not affect the Golf R
smile.gif

Fun fact: that ecotec Solstice/Cobalt 2.4 engine is the one that's in the Polaris Slingshot in case you wanted to make a darn fast one.
Has anyone here ever driven (ridden???) a Slingshot in anger? They look cool, but I have only seen them slowly cruising around, I wondered if they were fun or scary (the bad kind of scary) when pushed.

Has anyone here ever driven (ridden???) a Slingshot in anger? They look cool, but I have only seen them slowly cruising around, I wondered if they were fun or scary (the bad kind of scary) when pushed.
It depends on your version of scary; a stock slingshot is about 60% the weight of a solstice (base or gxp), but is about 60% of the hp compared to my GXP (with the GM performance tune). The GXP and slingshot are low short wheel base RWD cars... and without nanny aids things can go sideways quicker than most think. I'd rather have the GXP but YMMV
thumbs.gif

Last edited:
It depends on your version of scary; a stock slingshot is about 60% the weight of a solstice (base or gxp), but is about 60% of the hp compared to my GXP (GM tuned). The GXP and slingshot are low short wheel base RWD cars... and without nanny aids things can go sideways quicker than most think. I'd rather have the GXP but YMMV
thumbs.gif
Well something like the Spyder had the fun police built in to make sure it didn't get out of shape. Trying to beat the fun police required idiotic driver inputs followed by idiotic intervention by the computers. A driver battling a vehicle for control is not my idea of fun. If the slingshot leaves the traction and stability control up to the driver, that is already miles ahead.

I'm with you though. I would rather have a small roadster than most (probably all) of those three wheel beasts. They take up the same room in the garage, have some unavoidable quirks (how the hell do you avoid something on the road with three huge wheel tracks), have tons of nannies to keep you from flipping them and you need to wear bleeping helmets.

Maxwrist crashed one, watch youtube.

Otherwise Ram @ KC meetups brings his out.

I did some research on them and basically they’re quite boring apparently. The motor is (?) a Cruz motor which is nothing exciting. So it’s more of a novelty than anything.
But this is nothing more than some Reddit reading.

I did some research on them and basically they’re quite boring apparently. The motor is (?) a Cruz motor which is nothing exciting. So it’s more of a novelty than anything.

if I was going to buy one of those half car type of thingys, I'd import an Ariel Atom, with the screaming Honda Type R engine option of course....

guaranteed NOT boring.

Ariel Atom - Wikipedia

Ariel Atom is strictly track only here. Title of this thread is hardly consistent with that.

As for the Slingshot, it's not exactly daily-driver friendly either. A friend of mine stated about three wheelers years ago: all the bad things about a car, plus all the bad things about a motorcycle, plus a few new ones of it's own.

I think it uses the 2.4 Ecotec from the Solstice/Sky -- that's a spunky little power plant when it's uncorked. Kicking it up to 250HP/205 lbs torque is cheap too -- about $3K for a turbo kit.

Personally it's not something I'd like to own, but I'm sure they're fun to drive.

I think it uses the 2.4 Ecotec from the Solstice/Sky -- that's a spunky little power plant when it's uncorked. Kicking it up to 250HP/205 lbs torque is cheap too -- about $3K for a turbo kit.

Personally it's not something I'd like to own, but I'm sure they're fun to drive.

I know the Ecotec and Solstice/Sky platform well. The Ecotec is an impressive power plant! And the 2.4 variant (LE5 and newer versions) is the least impressive one! It simply has too high a compression ratio to be able to take advantage of SC/TC much.

To ramble on, fwiw, and otoh, the 2.0 LNF is a very impressive Ecotec option found in the Solstice GXP first and now used much more ubiquitously (e.g., current 270 hp 2.0 turbo Buick cars are using a variant in the LDK, plus there's the euro ATK); all of them are upgraded in many ways and the compression ratio is lower to maximize the benefit of forced induction. The 2.0 LNF is 260 hp stock, and was underrated with the GM tune add-on, regularly dynoing in the 260 whp range. These engines have tons of potential; you pretty easily and quickly can bolt on an EFR turbo and get 400 BHP to 400 whp without breaking a sweat (on a MT Solstice platform for example). It's impressive and compares well against newer more powerful and significantly heavier muscle cars (look at the 2020 Shelby GT500 weight). I've seen E47/E85 tuned LNFs pull even bigger numbers; 6758 EFR on a pretty much stock 2.0 LNF reached 500 whp with early spool (2K rpm or so)... (before it bent the con rods).

The Ecotec is a great proven engine performance platform flying under many people's radar. Cheers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom