Daily sports car? | Page 25 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Daily sports car?

Other than the baby seat issue, Its really hard to out sports car a value for the money Miata right now. My wife has a BMW 2 series convertible with the M engine package, it replaced a Miata, two weeks ago I traded my F150 for the weekend to a buddy for an AMG C43 . I miss the Miata, the others are lovely cars, lots of bells and whistles but you can find a nice used Miata for under $25k and when it needs a repair it doesn't get parked for 3 mths while you save up. used boxsters……..

Love this thread and was reading it again to go through some of the options as I'm conflicted. Possible mid-life crisis going on here (Almost 40!).

I want a car that's fun to drive, fairly economical (sub-15k) and RWD ideally with a manual transmission. For now we keep the Odyssey for my wife, and then the fun car for me instead of the bike for the time being.

Strongly debating going with the Miata (NC generation) as I've never had a convertible, and they seem to fit the bill....however....the BRZ/FRS are also calling my name as they're a bit more practical (i.e.: put in baby seats in a pinch) and a coupe just looks sexier in my opinion.

As for power, I'm not looking for monster power as you can't really use it anyway. If I could, I'd get an older GT Mustang convertible, as those can be had within the same price range.

Thoughts?

OP what did you end up buying?

I've already stated my opinion of the Miata (and S2000 if you want more power). If you're considering a BRZ, you'll want to research the valve spring recall as well as look into what it takes to perform certain maintenance on it (whether or not you DIY, it will affect time/cost). The flat 4 doesn't leave a lot of space to change spark plugs, nevermind a leaking valve cover gasket (and it WILL leak, drip directly onto the hot manifold and stink up the cabin through the HVAC). I have an Impreza with this problem, waiting to get the valve spring recall done and hopefully resealing the engine while it's out - mine is leaking from everywhere (valve covers, head gaskets, and timing chain cover)! It's also hard to find OEM parts for this thing, so you end up paying a little more for genuine Subaru.

'Stang, perhaps?
My preference is for the earlier NA all-alloy 3.7 V-6 motor. Some frown on the stick axle, but the difference is only noticeable when thrashing it through a corner. Change to a quick shifter to sweeten up the gear change movement.
It has the token rear seat, gets decent mileage, has the get-up-and-go, plus throw on a set of winters and it becomes a year round driver.

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

The C8 is on a US tour, stopping at a dealership in NY today.
11am - 7pm.
Joe Basil Chevrolet, Depew NY.
Hoping to like it, even if just a smidge, I went to see the C8 in person this morning. As for looks.... I like the pics better. As for performance.......they say it's faster, but who gives af? It might be a little bit quicker 0-100, but I'm not sure how it can outrun a C7 Z06 from 100-200.
Would not buy.

Hoping to like it, even if just a smidge, I went to see the C8 in person this morning. As for looks.... I like the pics better. As for performance.......they say it's faster, but who gives af? It might be a little bit quicker 0-100, but I'm not sure how it can outrun a C7 Z06 from 100-200.
Would not buy.

Wait, you expected the base model to be faster than a Z06?

@crankcall I've looked at the 2 series with the MSPORT package, but unfortunately budget wise it's beyond. I'm trying to limit to 15k so that I can still buy another 'commuter/beater' for an extra 10k and spend a total of 25k.

Still looking at a 128i but can't find one in MSPORT, 6MT for the life of me. The ones that creep up are gone in hours unfortunately. Unless I buy a base, and then pick up the sport suspension/seats later on. Which is an option.

As far as Miata...ND is too expensive for sure, so the NC is the max I'd go.

@Relax If I could find a clean S2000 for that budget, without 200k+ on the odometer...I'd definitely look into it more heavily. The cheaper ones all seem to have rebuilt titles or some issues. As for the BRZ/FRS...definitely issues there, but so do a lot of cars. I've seen some specimens in the low teens, but I'm sure there's issues there. The Toyota 86 is starting to show up below 20k. Also an option.

@Chris-CJ Which generation is that? I'm not that familiar with the brand. If I go newer, I'm leaning towards the V6, as the GT is out of budget. And I'm still not convinced about the Ecoboost.

Wait, you expected the base model to be faster than a Z06?
Me? I don't expect anything.
GM and whoever else tested the C8 say it is faster than any C7, 1/4mile, and or 0-100.
Me? I can't see the c8 beating a c7 Z06 100-200 (mph or kph).
But I really don't gaf, I'm keeping mine............for now with zero chance of getting a c8.

1 series with an MT will have been thrashed unless a Mom owned it. S2000 that hasn't been modified is a tough find. There are some deals on older M3's but fixing them is silly pricey. Same with the older Porche Miata (Boxster) , you can find them for 12-14k , but again if your putting many miles on its a Porche.
Older mustangs are still a deal, about 100,000 after market parts and can be fixed by nearly anybody.

Something to consider - if you’re not planning on driving the car regularly and you’re on the fence between a few choices, contact Hagerty to see if they will write a policy for it. They’re not just for classic cars, but also collectibles. I’m starting a new policy with them for my E46 M3 and it’s only $400/yr with 1M liability, $200 deductible, and up to 6000 kms (although they state no mileage limitations - I still have to sort that out, but it’s enough for now while I’m restoring it). But you can’t drive it for any regular use like going to work or as a backup for another car (and you do need another car insured with another company). You also can’t use it for running errands or going shopping. Basically you get to use it the way most use their bikes - going for a drive or to go to an automotive event (or Tim Horton’s if that’s your thing). Also, I believe the older the car, the more lenient they are on the restrictions since they figure the collector wouldn’t abuse a true classic/collectible whereas mine is new enough to be “nice but nothing special”.

Something to consider - if you’re not planning on driving the car regularly and you’re on the fence between a few choices, contact Hagerty
I had no luck with them (will try again at the end of my policy).
I pay ~ $1100yr. (Z06/Z07) Haggerty wanted $2600 in May, when I got a quote.

Their focus on classics and collectibles, meaning older cars, at least that’s what I understood from my conversation with them. I guess your Z06 is too new (it’s only a couple years old, right)?

I know on classic cars, modified vs unmodified makes a big difference with Haggerty, make sure you are getting pricing for the correct one. For the mini, modified (you tell them what has been done, they don't seem to care they just want it documented) is double the rate of a stock car.

Mine is a '17, no mods.
Everyone else seems to be having luck at Haggerty, me excluded. I'll try them again in May.

I know on classic cars, modified vs unmodified makes a big difference with Haggerty, make sure you are getting pricing for the correct one. For the mini, modified (you tell them what has been done, they don't seem to care they just want it documented) is double the rate of a stock car.

Their online quoting system didn’t change the price for me no matter what I selected other than the value. When I spoke to them I asked about this and told them the suspension was being replaced with aftermarket components and they said they are more concerned about engine swaps, custom bodywork or paint, etc (I guess hotrod stuff). They consider mine to be stock and only care about the value I set it to. They also have an option in your premium to give you your car back in the event of a write-off so you can resurrect it. I think it was about $30 a year for that option.

Their online quoting system didn’t change the price for me no matter what I selected other than the value. When I spoke to them I asked about this and told them the suspension was being replaced with aftermarket components and they said they are more concerned about engine swaps, custom bodywork or paint, etc (I guess hotrod stuff). They consider mine to be stock and only care about the value I set it to. They also have an option in your premium to give you your car back in the event of a write-off so you can resurrect it. I think it was about $30 a year for that option.
The mini is ~100 hp instead of the stock 31 so that's probably why I got dinged on premium (still an A-series, I don't like engine swaps with engines that never came in the car). I still need to rebuild the previous engine that made a bunch more power than this one.

I grew up driving sports cars. Had all the typical 70s era sports cars starting with a 240z, MGBGT-(lumped), then a TR6 as a kid. Those put the 'sport' in driving -- you had small power, with too little brakes, steering & tires. The driver meant more than the the car.

Last year I was looking for a "sporty" car for my wife. The Miata & BRZ I drove were surprisingly blah -- 0-60 was a bit worse than my 4WD dodge pickup, braking and cornering comparable -- to me those are the Ninja 250s of the sports car world. Even with a few bushels of cash in upgrades they aren't going cheap roll with a cheap Mustang.

My favorite right now is the CTS-V - nice used specimens are available at less than $15K. They tear asphalt with all 4 wheels.

My favorite right now is the CTS-V - nice used specimens are available at less than $15K. They tear asphalt with all 4 wheels.
Cool cars. Did they ever get a differential to last in them? The last I heard, they tore through diffs at an alarming rate (quite likely not helped by the mentality of the people that bought them).

@Mad Mike I agree 100%. These cars are like the 250-300cc bikes. Fun to thrash, but overall slow, economic, and cheap thrills (if you can call it that). On paper the FRS/BRZ are fairly decent acceleration and numbers, but I've driven one a bunch of years ago and can remember it being a little less than expected. However, I know they're fun to drive.

Their forums are also very similar to the low cc bike forums in their member's defense of the power lacking. I'm actually considering buying a stock model, and then when time/funds allow to throw a turbo/supercharge into it down the line.

As for the CTS-V I've only seen 2 specimens for sub-17k right now.

Cool cars. Did they ever get a differential to last in them? The last I heard, they tore through diffs at an alarming rate (quite likely not helped by the mentality of the people that bought them).

If shopping for a CTS-V you want to go with the 2nd gen supercharged car. Better in everyway by a mile and you don't have the diff issues that the first gen cars had.

1 series with an MT will have been thrashed unless a Mom owned it. S2000 that hasn't been modified is a tough find. There are some deals on older M3's but fixing them is silly pricey. Same with the older Porche Miata (Boxster) , you can find them for 12-14k , but again if your putting many miles on its a Porche.
Older mustangs are still a deal, about 100,000 after market parts and can be fixed by nearly anybody.
Ya you’re right. The damn MT is hard to find, and finding a clean one....forget it. PFAFF had one a few months ago, right colour, options, price, km. I was a few days from coming home and it was gone before I landed. Islington Chrysler also had one...gone in a day.
If the weather permits I’ll go drive all specimens as I need to test them first before going forward at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom