Covid 19/touring | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Covid 19/touring

I'm doing the Niagara Pkwy then a stop in Dunnville at the chip wagon.
Saturday is shaping up to be a great day

Wow... while at the same time, we're spending $30 million to promote in-country tourism to try to offset part of the lost revenue from foreign visitors: Canada to spend $30M to promote holidays at home amid COVID-19 border closure

Wonder how that's gonna work when we can't cross provincial lines.

I guess my yearly touring trip this summer is gonna be a loop to Thunder Bay or Kenora or something.
Iirc, there is a line up north now that requires a 14 day isolation. Presumably that will be lifted at some point (unless they get to zero above the line in which case it may be there to stay for quite a while). Even in province plan for chaos for a while.

Latest cross Canada restrictions.

Summary ....head west and don't dawdle in Manitoba. Suggest carrying toilet paper on all longish rides.
@shanekingsley Are you still planning on your trip?

I'm wondering how to go about mine, if camping is only allowed for locals, obviously our license plates will give us away anywhere we go out of Ontario, even to get food or just ride through. Also how do they know you self-isolated for 14 days before continuing, do they stamp something? ask for an address and proof where you will do that, with receipts if hotel or something?

Even on crown land, or just getting something like a motorcycle breakdown, no one is going to want to help or come near a traveller

thought they said in the news in ontario that back country camping is now allowed

@shanekingsley Are you still planning on your trip?

I'm wondering how to go about mine, if camping is only allowed for locals, obviously our license plates will give us away anywhere we go out of Ontario, even to get food or just ride through. Also how do they know you self-isolated for 14 days before continuing, do they stamp something? ask for an address and proof where you will do that, with receipts if hotel or something?

Even on crown land, or just getting something like a motorcycle breakdown, no one is going to want to help or come near a traveller
Yes I am still planning on going.
I'll still plan the trip out, but not book anything like motels or anything like that. Around the 1st week of September I'll make the call once I see how things are shaping up since my trip is Sept 12-Oct 14. There's no use in me worrying or planning too much well in advance, because I think I'll end up riding through around 20-30 states and for all I know the situation might be slightly different in each one. If the US situation is no good, then I'll see about riding out to BC and back staying in Canada the whole way. And that might also not be doable, so we'll just see.

I will probably be working from home until May 2021, so if self isolation upon return is still a thing for travel into the US, then I have no problem with that (as long as I can get back home).

As with all types of trips like this, AdvRrider, Stromtrooper and Horizon's Unlimited are the best sources of info.

For food - I don't eat meat or fish, so as long as Subway is open, I can eat that every day and be fine with the odd grocery trip in between. I have camp stove and pots if it comes down to it.

For breakdowns, yes that would absolutely be a concern, because I only plan to pack so many spare parts and tools.

Some info stateside for you guys planning trips...

I live in north Georgia near the mountains and for the most part you'd forget that there's a pandemic right now. Most restaurants are open with some taking more precautions than others.

I did a trip to the Ozarks (BTW, the TV show is shot in Georgia) a couple of weeks ago. Eureka Springs was a ghost town with few restaurants open. Small towns in AR and MO varied quite a bit - some took zero precautions while at one small town you couldn't enter the Subway unless you had a mask.

Rode to the Dragon in late May on a Saturday and the place was packed. I usually avoid that place on a weekend but thought it might not be that bad - I was wrong. So expect no difference than any other summer when you go there.

Buddy and I are headed to Pickle Lake in 2 weeks.

Plan to take the utmost precautions, but hey, we're being encouraged to travel in province, and I confirmed with Pickle Lake that they're open as well.

wow Jason...thats a great pic

Buddy and I are headed to Pickle Lake in 2 weeks.

Plan to take the utmost precautions, but hey, we're being encouraged to travel in province, and I confirmed with Pickle Lake that they're open as well.
The snow should be melted by then.

That actually looks like a decent trip and I bet the fishing is good. Road looks okay. 4000 km all in Ontario ..yikes.
Let me know your plans. - not looking to tag along but rather compare notes. The only concern with 2 weeks out is that is the long weekend and I wonder if places would be booked. Still I like that it's still June. No idea if my aging bones will support that ride but working on it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at Jun, 14    2020    6.39.42 AM.jpg

road looks okay
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at Jun, 14    2020    6.55.16 AM.jpg

Last edited:
The snow should be melted by then.

Yeah, we saw that and laughed about it. Hopefully that was a one-off. ;)

That actually looks like a decent trip and I bet the fishing is good. Road looks okay. 4000 km all in Ontario ..yikes.
Let me know your plans. - not looking to tag along but rather compare notes. The only concern with 2 weeks out is that is the long weekend and I wonder if places would be booked. Still I like that it's still June. No idea if my aging bones will support that ride but working on it.

I'll be happy to post a followup here once we're done. Leaving on the 26'th so just before the long weekend.

I've ridden all the roads involved a few times now and everything was good. Scenery ranges from "meh" to awesome. Not BC or Pennsylvania type awesome, but a close "I can't believe I'm in Ontario" second awesome.

Highway 11 over to Kirkland has a long stretch without fuel. The buddy I rode with for that trip had an Indian with similar fuel consumption as my old VTX and we were both running on fumes. I had a 10L emergency Jerry Can with us on the trip however so I wasn't too worried, but we came close to needing it on that stretch. It's not super interesting either, but it does quality as an adventure.

Do yourself a favour and get the book "150 interesting things to see in Ontario" and if you have time, do like we did on one trip up that way and checkout all the entries in the book. Our RC actually did a contest that summer based on the book (he who rides to the most locations wins) and there was a surprising number of interesting things to see up there - Ouimet canyon sticks out as one of the places that was really cool.

IMG_3318.jpegDespite being all in Ontario I'm looking forward to it as I've criss crossed almost every road within 250km of home so many times I'm just bored out of my gourd and need something interesting right now. Haven't been up to Pickle Lake itself before so the stretch from Ignace up there will be all new however. Was hoping to take the ferry across from Manitoulin but they're running on a restricted Covid guideline that doesn't seem like that'll be doable.

Yeah, we saw that and laughed about it. Hopefully that was a one-off. ;)

I'll be happy to post a followup here once we're done. Leaving on the 26'th so just before the long weekend.

I've ridden all the roads involved a few times now and everything was good. Scenery ranges from "meh" to awesome. Not BC or Pennsylvania type awesome, but a close "I can't believe I'm in Ontario" second awesome.

Highway 11 over to Kirkland has a long stretch without fuel. The buddy I rode with for that trip had an Indian with similar fuel consumption as my old VTX and we were both running on fumes. I had a 10L emergency Jerry Can with us on the trip however so I wasn't too worried, but we came close to needing it on that stretch. It's not super interesting either, but it does quality as an adventure.

Do yourself a favour and get the book "150 interesting things to see in Ontario" and if you have time, do like we did on one trip up that way and checkout all the entries in the book. Our RC actually did a contest that summer based on the book (he who rides to the most locations wins) and there was a surprising number of interesting things to see up there - Ouimet canyon sticks out as one of the places that was really cool.

View attachment 43552Despite being all in Ontario I'm looking forward to it as I've criss crossed almost every road within 250km of home so many times I'm just bored out of my gourd and need something interesting right now. Haven't been up to Pickle Lake itself before so the stretch from Ignace up there will be all new however. Was hoping to take the ferry across from Manitoulin but they're running on a restricted Covid guideline that doesn't seem like that'll be doable.
A couple of campgrounds I liked when I did this trip: Kakebecka falls, just outside Thunder Bay. Marathon’s in town public campground. The ferry ride is great... unless you end up having too many beers on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom