Covid 19/touring | GTAMotorcycle.com

Covid 19/touring

It must be eeezzzzzeeeee to do a wheelie.......I'm going for another corona, **** Ghina forever!

Seriously, is touring possible or recommended?

Are motels open and welcoming?

Parks are closed but would crown land camping be OK?

Restaurants are closed but you could still buy groceries and dine al fresco.

Gas is still OK. Can Covid live on gasoline smeared pump handles?

Provincial borders are closed and even if you do get across your travel insurance won't be valid. Medicare doesn't cover a lt of fringe items like ambulance etc

Seriously, is touring possible or recommended? Are motels open and welcoming? Parks are closed but would crown land camping be OK? Restaurants are closed but you could still buy groceries and dine al fresco. Gas is still OK. Can Covid live on gasoline smeared pump handles? Provincial borders are closed and even if you do get across your travel insurance won't be valid. Medicare doesn't cover a lt of fringe items like ambulance etc

For all the issues above my riding, if any, will be restricted to day trips where I bring my own food and water. Gas pumps will be used as I use them now, I have a separate set of gloves in the SUV used just for handling the pump.

nobbie, I think it's the year to back a picnic basket in your saddle bag to get to your destination? Plan your stops at quiet places with great vista's!

Cheers, be safe!

I'm bored at home these days, who is the hall monitor on this site that everyone is afraid of??? :}

nobbie, I think it's the year to back a picnic basket in your saddle bag to get to your destination? Plan your stops at quiet places with great vista's!

Cheers, be safe!

I'm bored at home these days, who is the hall monitor on this site that everyone is afraid of??? :}
Wingboy is banging pots together and telling everyone to stay home. Nothing to be afraid of, just the buzzing mosquito of reason.

'Have a trip to Vancouver planned... 'Supposed to blast off on June 1st.
Riding with a buddy as far as Okanagan Falls BC, then he's swapping tires and continuing up to Tuktoyuktuk...

'Keeping an eye on developments, but...
It doesn't look good :-(

I'm not wringing my hands over the actual travel... Its the availability of lodging and restraunts that worries me.
'Cuz as much as I love riding.... I love sleeping and eating more

Last edited:
Tent solves the lodging issue. I've camped in a lot of places that are "non traditional" in a pinch. Even a public park in a little town so long as you cruise in under the radar and leave in the AM before you end up on anyones radar work. A small tent that doesn't attract attention, and being quiet for the same reason helps of course.

Food.. well, increasingly, traditional sit down dining is impossible right now. Will it still be in the months ahead? It'll probably be relaxed. Reality is restaurants will start to drop like flies if they can't resume some sort of limited operations by the early summer.

But takeout is also an option.

FWIW out west they are in much better shape than we are and I think life will resume to some closer semblance of normalcy earlier than here.

No matter what, it's going to be a season of compromises when it comes to making travel viable and safe.

Gilead might have a drug to cure covid-19. Lets hope!
Rajoelina already announced he had the cure weeks ago. Ravintsasa, lemons and ginger :| if that don't cure you, you must have died from something else.

Tent solves the lodging issue. I've camped in a lot of places that are "non traditional" in a pinch. Even a public park in a little town so long as you cruise in under the radar and leave in the AM before you end up on anyones radar work. A small tent that doesn't attract attention, and being quiet for the same reason helps of course.

Food.. well, increasingly, traditional sit down dining is impossible right now. Will it still be in the months ahead? It'll probably be relaxed. Reality is restaurants will start to drop like flies if they can't resume some sort of limited operations by the early summer.

But takeout is also an option.

FWIW out west they are in much better shape than we are and I think life will resume to some closer semblance of normalcy earlier than here.

No matter what, it's going to be a season of compromises when it comes to making travel viable and safe.

Crossing provincial borders when banned or recommended against could be a factor. Travel insurance is questionable in the best of times. Some insurers will use any excuse to avoid a claim even if it is unrelated.

Crossing provincial borders when banned or recommended against could be a factor. Travel insurance is questionable in the best of times. Some insurers will use any excuse to avoid a claim even if it is unrelated.

The lines are still very fuzzy on interprovincial travel at this moment in time but they should become clearer in the weeks ahead.

The insurance question is a valid argument...however the key is to have a phone discussion with a representative to clarify the situation before leaving. If you get them to clarify that the coverage is OK or that there is no travel related restrictions then you are good to go.

Let’s remember pretty much every phone call is recorded now so they will have a hard time going back on their word.

no matter what it’s definitely going to be a summer of ensuring all of your ducks are in a very straight row before travelling.

Crossing provincial borders when banned or recommended against could be a factor.

There's a huge difference between a (legal) ban on travel and any BS "recommendation"... So far I haven't seen anything remotely resembling something that makes it illegal to travel province to province.

Travel insurance is questionable in the best of times. Some insurers will use any excuse to avoid a claim even if it is unrelated.

Who buys travel insurance when they don't plan on leaving the country...?
My OHIP will cover any health emergencies regardless of location. My auto/bike policy will cover what it says... There's NOTHING in it saying that they can deny/change coverage due to me not following some hypothetical "recommendations" that may some day come from somewhere.

There's a huge difference between a (legal) ban on travel and any BS "recommendation"... So far I haven't seen anything remotely resembling something that makes it illegal to travel province to province.

Who buys travel insurance when they don't plan on leaving the country...?
My OHIP will cover any health emergencies regardless of location. My auto/bike policy will cover what it says... There's NOTHING in it saying that they can deny/change coverage due to me not following some hypothetical "recommendations" that may some day come from somewhere.
Well qc and pei wont let you in right now. Its not illegal to be there, but you cant get access.

The lines are still very fuzzy on interprovincial travel at this moment in time but they should become clearer in the weeks ahead.

The insurance question is a valid argument...however the key is to have a phone discussion with a representative to clarify the situation before leaving. If you get them to clarify that the coverage is OK or that there is no travel related restrictions then you are good to go.

Let’s remember pretty much every phone call is recorded now so they will have a hard time going back on their word.

no matter what it’s definitely going to be a summer of ensuring all of your ducks are in a very straight row before travelling.

I dug into the travel insurance situation a number of years ago and getting facts was like trying to nail jello to a wall. One magazine quoted an individual in the industry so I called him to verify facts. He said there weren't accurate numbers. He made them up.

The worst ones basically say if you misinform on any question regardless of significance the policy is void. If you have a prescription for some acne condition and you forget to mention it you're out of luck when you break a leg or have a heart attack. Doctors don't even understand the questionnaires.

As I understand it in Canada a heart attack is covered by reciprocal agreements but ambulance and some meds may not be. In the USA you are 100% on your own.

If Trump says "Come on down" Ford says "Stay home" Justin says "Listen to the experts" and the policy states a clause "When travel is not advised" who picks up the tab?

Back
Top Bottom