Covid 19/touring | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Covid 19/touring

Was hoping to take the ferry across from Manitoulin but they're running on a restricted Covid guideline that doesn't seem like that'll be doable.
Pilot I was just looking at there site for the ferry.
Did I miss something cause it looked like standard stuff to me?
Don't bring food or drink on the boat...were a mask...3 trips per day...that kinda thing

With US and Europe travel still out of picture, I'm looking at doing some local touring. Thinking about heading east. Anyone done Cabot Trail ? Is it worth the 1800km ride , or there is more fun closer ?

With US and Europe travel still out of picture, I'm looking at doing some local touring. Thinking about heading east. Anyone done Cabot Trail ? Is it worth the 1800km ride , or there is more fun closer ?
Cabot Trail is pretty. When I did it, I would have called many other roads more fun. I did it really early in the morning (clockwise, in Baddeck by 07:30). On the east leg, I was in the clouds for most of it and it was a little slippery. Unknown road, cliffs to nowhere, marginal visibility and slippery roads are not the best combination. If you go in peak season, it looks like ants marching around the loop and would be my version of hell. I only saw five vehicles in my loop (only one going in my direction). Personally, I like mainland NS better than Cape Breton.

Reactions: J_F
Pilot I was just looking at there site for the ferry.
Did I miss something cause it looked like standard stuff to me?
Don't bring food or drink on the boat...were a mask...3 trips per day...that kinda thing

It just changed in the last 72 hours to actually accepting anyone again (including recreational travel), with the aforementioned restrictions. Up until that point anyone travelling for recreation was very clearly not going to get aboard with the restrictions they'd had in place and posted online - it basically said unless you were travelling for work or essential purposes you would be refused boarding and they were calling every reservation holder to validate the reason for travel.

Thankfully they've eased up on that with the stage 2 thing.

I did however have to spend about 40 minutes on the phone yesterday to get our reservation (not available online, you have to do it in person so you verbally agree to all the restrictions), but we are officially booked. Still quite a few restrictions - no food or drink aside from 1 bottle of water (and only water) per person, must have and wear a mask for the entire duration of the trip, no food or drink being sold onboard, can't stay on the vehicle deck at all, etc. Anyhow, no biggie, all good.

A couple of campgrounds I liked when I did this trip: Kakebecka falls, just outside Thunder Bay. Marathon’s in town public campground

We are motelling it for this trip. Campgrounds are hit and miss right now - many of the ones that are open are not providing shower facilities, and some, not even bathrooms.

For the $30/night each extra for this trip vs a campsite the motel makes sense for a short 4 nighter like this.

Getting there requires travelling through New Brunswick, and non-essential entry into New Brunswick is currently prohibited: Travel Information

As I suspected would eventually happen, I believe I read in the last week or so that someone did indeed file a Charter of Rights complaint over these interprovincial travel restrictions.

Thanks Pilot.
I'm planning on leaving for Alberta July 20ish and the ferry will help will my long trip.

Cabot Trail ?? There is more fun closer but at the same time it's an interesting ride and with the crazy cultural mix in a small island it's fun from that standpoint. The Eastern side coming up from the bridge is popular with the local riders with a big sweeper - they will ride it then back down for a repeat.

It is scenic
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at Jun, 18    2020    8.41.05 AM.jpg
It is weather dependent as the storms coming off the Gulf of St Lawrence can be vicious. The north coast facing the prevailing wind is actually technically tundra while the other side of the ridge is Carolinian forest 1,000 miles north of what it should be.
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at Jun, 18    2020    8.37.50 AM.jpg

had the wrong lens on but there were 4 or 5 going up and down on sports bikes - you can just pick out one rider

1592485465641.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at Jun, 18    2020    8.40.14 AM.jpg

I have not been in a few years and the East Coast has a short tourist season - I was inclined to go this year to complete a cross Canada ride afer doing the west last year but not sure yet.
I'd do it from East to West starting with the sun behind you in the morning then loop the Trail so the sun is behind you on the western run. Check about construction tho.

Last edited:

wouldn't say blasting out there just for that would be worth the trip
as mentioned, there are provincial restrictions currently

can make a nice trip of it if you plan to see some of Quebec on the way
southern NB has some nice shore towns to cruise through
and like GG said, mainland NS can also be quite interesting

the TC route of 401/20/2 is pretty dreadful

The Cabot Trail is on my bucket list, zero question.

That said, as much as I make fun of people trailering their motorcycles around....for a good majority of that trip, at least to Rivière-du-Loup, a trailer would be something I'd actually consider. I've driven that stretch of road more times than I care to remember across many, many years of my early years in the trucking industry and yeah, it isn't the most interesting. And reality is with my wife on her own bike she's pretty much done at around 500-600km in a day, so we're talking 3-4 days of just riding each on the to and from. In a cage I'd knock that off in 1.5 days flat.

Cabot Trail ?? There is more fun closer but at the same time it's an interesting ride and with the crazy cultural mix in a small island it's fun from that standpoint. The Eastern side coming up from the bridge is popular with the local riders with a big sweeper - they will ride it then back down for a repeat.

It is scenic
View attachment 43618
It is weather dependent as the storms coming off the Gulf of St Lawrence can be vicious. The north coast facing the prevailing wind is actually technically tundra while the other side of the ridge is Carolinian forest 1,000 miles north of what it should be.
View attachment 43619

had the wrong lens on but there were 4 or 5 going up and down on sports bikes - you can just pick out one rider

View attachment 43621

View attachment 43620

I have not been in a few years and the East Coast has a short tourist season - I was inclined to go this year to complete a cross Canada ride afer doing the west last year but not sure yet.
I'd do it from East to West starting with the sun behind you in the morning then loop the Trail so the sun is behind you on the western run. Check about construction tho.
Happy to learn about more fun nearby, as I already put 4k this year in Muskoka and such, it gets tiresome :(

The Cabot Trail is on my bucket list, zero question.

That said, as much as I make fun of people trailering their motorcycles around....for a good majority of that trip, at least to Rivière-du-Loup, a trailer would be something I'd actually consider. I've driven that stretch of road more times than I care to remember across many, many years of my early years in the trucking industry and yeah, it isn't the most interesting. And reality is with my wife on her own bike she's pretty much done at around 500-600km in a day, so we're talking 3-4 days of just riding each on the to and from. In a cage I'd knock that off in 1.5 days flat.
I would probably take 3 days to get there , taking some of the nicer roads in Ontario and Quebec on my way there. It's just that I've done these roads many times over the last couple of years. My choice would be 3 days heading to Smokey mntns, side roads only, some of the roads MacDoc and Shane Kingsley posted about (been there already) and similar back, but that's off the books now :( I have vacation and tires to burn this year, so what's worth doing in the realm of possible ? I'll hotel on my way, I love camping but not on a bike ;)

How about a ride along the north shore of the St Lawrence? Maybe go to the end of the 138 or head north to Manic Cinq or a little closer to home is head up from Tadoussac to Lac St Jean area.
If you have the time a ride along the south shore to Gaspe and if you have even more time head over to Cabot Trail from there.
If I don't feel comfortable going for a long ride out west, I still might head down to Deals Gap in September assuming the border is open for recreational travel.

Happy to learn about more fun nearby,

Pennsylvania and points south but you have to wait for it. 4 hours you are on 44/144.
Alternative route to the east is north to Rouyn Noranda and across and down the northern TC. Blitz to North Bay then cross into Quebec and stay north. Mind your hydration and fuel.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at Jun, 19    2020    2.13.18 AM.jpg

Pennsylvania and points south but you have to wait for it. 4 hours you are on 44/144.
Alternative route to the east is north to Rouyn Noranda and across and down the northern TC. Blitz to North Bay then cross into Quebec and stay north. Mind your hydration and fuel.

View attachment 43638
144/44 and sourounding is my typical weekend destination. Not this year unfortunately ...

It seems like traveling to Atlantic provinces is a no go at this time. So, plan B, fly to Vancouver, rent a bike. Any suggestions on day rides , based in Vancouver ?

missing the option to tour south
but it's a good compromise if it keeps the infected masses and their dumbasses out

Back
Top Bottom