Covid 19/touring | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Covid 19/touring

The Cabot Trail is on my bucket list, zero question.

That said, as much as I make fun of people trailering their motorcycles around....for a good majority of that trip, at least to Rivière-du-Loup, a trailer would be something I'd actually consider. I've driven that stretch of road more times than I care to remember across many, many years of my early years in the trucking industry and yeah, it isn't the most interesting. And reality is with my wife on her own bike she's pretty much done at around 500-600km in a day, so we're talking 3-4 days of just riding each on the to and from. In a cage I'd knock that off in 1.5 days flat.
Cabot Trail is great if the weather is good (if it's not, just wait 5 min) and you take the time to visit little places like Meat Cove.A stop or stay at the Glenorra Distillery ($$) is really worth it. And the Bell museum in Baddeck is cool.

Like many things this year, Cabot is pushed ahead to next year at the earliest. We have a friend moving to NB so that'd give us an excuse to head out that way, and a place to stay for a night or two to refresh midway both ways since this would be a pretty epic trip for my wife.

looking for options for QC/ON with a group of friends
target distance is ~ 500/day....don't give me any GTAM grief on that

comments? suggestions?

Is there a reason why you are taking the ferry across the St. Lawrence instead of just riding the north shore?

I have been told that the 381 south from Saguenay is one of the very best scenic roads to ride, but perhaps they are all excellent in the particular area. You may also wan to ride through Parc nationale de la Mauricie (near Mont Tremblant), but I think you may have to pay to ride through.

This looks like a really nice trip.

Actually Mauricie is further east than Tremblant and the road through the park is terrific ...a bit hard to find coming from the west ...easy enough from the east and truly lots of fun.
La Mauricie National Park
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at Jul, 18    2020    9.53.46 AM.jpg

I concur on the north shore ride ...go up to Baie Como but mind the ferry schedules as it might be shorter to ride to Godbout depending on your schedule ...they both go to the same terminus. We were very wet and cold on the Ferry ( 12 and raining ) but once we got to the south shore and on the Gaspe loop the sun came out and a little cafe turned up right quick :D

why not add in Gaspe ...you are right there.

172 might be nicer on the east side of the Sagunay Fjord

500 km day on Quebec secondary roads is just fine. Mind your fuel - some stations closed on Sunday.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at Jul, 18    2020    10.01.16 AM.jpg

Now you got me thinking about that route but damn can't do New Brunswick.
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at Jul, 18    2020    10.19.29 AM.jpg

Last edited:
thanks guys
yeah that little bit of the South Shore is an error
waiting for feedback from the group

FYI for anyone thinking of heading west
I rode the north Superior part of 17 today

heavy- heavy construction
from just outside Wawa to Marathon, constant stoppages
what you can normally do in an hour took 2
lots of chestnut roasting opportunities

past Marathon (which is the best part) is still pretty smooth sailing
kind of takes the shine off one of my fave Ontario routes

Same story every damn summer LOL..

Must have just started - was smooth sailing when I did my Pickle Lake ride a few weeks back.

Headed up that way again in 4 weeks with some friends but we're only going as far as Wawa then over to Chapleau. Target is only 400km a day - lots of time to have a solid home cooked breakfast (we get motels with kitchenettes and cook for the group and save a ton), start late, smell the roses all day, and still get in plenty early at our motels to prep dinner, enjoy a few frosties, and shoot the **** for a few hours before bed.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 9.37.11 PM.png

JF how far are you going?
I'm curious to see what happens when you get to the Manitoba border and want to keep going?
Im suppose to leave for Alberta on Aug 6th

I'm curious to see what happens when you get to the Manitoba border and want to keep going?
Im suppose to leave for Alberta on Aug 6th

tossing around the idea of messing around in the rockies for a bit
I'm pretty sure you can cross into Manitoba fine but not stay there

ie: in transit to the west with only a quick gas stop
ensuring proper distancing and a mask

will let you know

You keep going.

'Drove to Saskatchewan 2x in June.
At the time the only indication of anything covid related was an electric billboard by the side of the road advising "visitors to quarantine for 14 days, essential services excepted."
Just continued onto my destination in Saskatchewan... once there, social distancing wasn't a problem.

zgXXvRp.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input...it really helps.
Would hate to ride all the way up there to find out i have to quarantine or turn around or whatever.
Now to see if theres room on the ferry :)

I would be doing a ton of due dilligence with provincial heath hotlines before heading out. Gonna be a real bummer if you get a few thousand KM away and find out you can't get into the next province or something.

~ 650 km across Manitoba
will watch my speed
one gas stop
not overly worried
the rest of the West have no quarantine
and only in the East did they have border checks

day 5 and stopped for a rest, rainy morning so decided to stay put
Lake of the Woods
laundry (scrub in the tub, sun dried)
BBQ, beer, rest my old bones

still not sure if I'm gonna continue west or loop north back across ON then into QC

this area has been decimated by the US travel ban
some deeply discounted deals on fishing lodge type acoms

ZHNOrRA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom