Coronavirus | Page 281 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was expecting YYZ to be busy with air Canada opening up all seats....still a ghost town. Barely more people than my last turnaround.

EDIT: Flight is about 50-60% full. not as bad as I expected it but nice to not have anyone beside you.

Last edited:

TL : DR Spain was hard-hit, and about 5% of the population has antibodies.

Forget "herd immuity" without a vaccine.
Link doesn't work for me (may be temporary as the server is getting hammered).

Based on worldometers stats, identified infection rate was ~0.6% of population. I think we all expected real infection rate to be approximately an order of magnitude higher so that antibody result is in line with expectations. If the US follows a similar pattern, that means ~10% of the population will already have been infected (and climbing quickly).

Doesn't herd immunity require something like 60%+ with antibodies? I hope the US isn't dumb enough to do that the natural way. That would have them at close to 1,000,000 deaths.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, if the US doesn't curb it's infection rate, at the current exponential growth curve, how many weeks till they reach that 60% antibody figure?

I suspect that the USA may have identified a greater proportion of the cases than Spain did, due to how early and how hard Spain was hit (before there was any viable way to test in large numbers).

Spain's overall case fatality rate was around 1.2%. If that's the same in the USA based on current 132,000 deaths then that implies 11 million infected people (3% of the population), and they've detected 3 million.

The infection rate for herd immunity is a function of Rt. This paper suggests it could be 43% of the population to be infected (rather than 60% - 70%): COVID-19: Herd immunity threshold could be lower, study finds

And that still requires 14 times more people to be infected than what this estimate suggests now. And that means 14 times more deaths than what they've got now (i.e. a couple million). This may be a high estimate if the current trend towards younger people being infected continues ... but it's still bad.

Ugh. Keep that border closed.

McNinny actually claimed the world is looking to the US and its leadership for covid guidance... Alternate reality.

Haven't they found cases of re-infection? If true, what is herd immunity?

Isn't a vaccine an artificial form of herd immunity?

I'm lost on this.

LOL No one in the world is looking to the USA as an example of how to handle a pandemic ...

For re-infection ... Don't recall the link but what I've read elsewhere is that it's suspected that testing inaccuracies (they're not 100%) may have falsely indicated that someone had been cleared of virus when they actually had not. It's also quite conceivable that someone who has a very mild infection, and/or a weak immune system response, might not develop much in the way of antibodies.

No one knows how long antibodies to this virus will be protective for ... and that makes the "herd immunity" even less advisable/achievable as a response to this virus.

ya'll ready for this?:

ya'll ready for this?:

I saw this a few days ago. It has pandemic “potential”...but I don’t think they’ve seen any human transmission.

Also...China Uncensored is a Falun Gong sponsored TV channel. They have an interest in making the Chinese government look as bad as they can so there’s definitely cause for bias there.

And this morning China has two cases of beubonic plague, not seen since the middle ages. Can we not let anyone from China come here for about the next decade?? and give back that Huwawei woman.

If people want to be free from the authoritarian regime forcing them to wear a mask, why don't they move to Murica and have all the freedom (and accompanying death) that they want?

But about 40 activists boarded a TTC subway car at Dundas Station without masks on, saying cities should not be making their use mandatory.

“You have a choice, this is about freedom of choice,” Chris Sky told CP24. “When the government mandate something it is never in your best interest.”

“Our individual rights have to be suppressed so that somebody else would feel better,” Letitia Montana, who was removed from St. Joseph’s Health Centre over the weekend for not wearing a mask, said. “Is that the kind of world we want to live in? That is what has led to the worst atrocities in history.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom