Coronavirus | Page 111 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that will happen with this Pandemic as the mortality rate is too low.
If something hits 20%+ and spreads even worse than Covid-19. Imagine an Ebola that's *MUCH* more transmissive..

Then, yes. Pandemonium. Everyone for themselves.
Lucky things like Ebola have a high mortality rate keeps them from spreading as they kill the host to quickly.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Lucky things like Ebola have a high mortality rate keeps them from spreading as they kill the host to quickly.

Ebola doesn’t spread as easily. I believe it spreads thru body fluid exchange.

I just reread the first 5 pages on this thread.

Very entertaining look at the past.

Like this one on page #1 (Feb.7). How many on the ship wandering around off Panama right now are infected? Is this the 5th or 6th ship quarantined? I've lost count.
If your logic held true one person with a cold or the flu would infect a huge majority of a
ship during a 7 night cruise. That simply does not happen. Ever.

Elderly or immunocompromised are the highest mortality rate. Although when I get out bed in the morning I feel like a 90 year old, I am not yet in my "elderly" years, and despite all my other health problems, my immune system seems to be working overdrive, so I'm cool.

Exactly. Like I said earlier in this thread, the level of sanitation on a cruise ship is off the charts. It's only people who have never been on one or just blindly believe the sensationalistic stuff they read online who don't understand or appreciate this.

Exactly. I live by the mantra "Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen". Since we're all here on a motorcycle forum and presumably all ride motorcycles, we're statistically far more likely to die in a MC wreck than we are to get sick to the point of death on a vacation. But we accept that risk because we enjoy riding. Some of us are not willing to live in a bubble in the rest of our lives, however.

Depends on the age of the aircraft (older ones don't have the level of HEPA filtration the new ones do), and also depends a lot on the maintenance of such systems. The key thing to keep in mind is that although the air is good, the surfaces, not so much - planes are turned over so quickly that unless there's a reason to do a deep sanitization (IE, someone was sick with something serious enough to take the plane out of service for a full sanitization), chances are nothing happened between flights except for picking up trash left on the floor. So someones snot rocket unvaccinated special snowflake crotch goblin who sneezed endlessly all over the seat your now sitting in on the entire flight previous to yours has probably left you some presents behind. Just keep your hands away from your face for the flight however and you'll be just fine.
Still have the same thoughts?

Hearing lots of first-hand accounts on social media about Canadians having full-blown flu-like symptoms, but they are being denied testing for COVID-19 because they didn't need to be hospitalized.

We can shake our heads at the Americans about how high their confirmed cases are, but something tells me that if we tested as much as they are right now, our per capita numbers would be right up there with them.

Last edited:
Hearing lots of first-hand accounts on social media about Canadians going having full-blown flu-like symptoms, but they are being denied testing for COVID-19 because they didn't need to be hospitalized.

We can shake our heads at the Americans about how high their confirmed cases are, but something tells me that if we tested as much as they are right now, our per capita numbers would be right up there with them.
If that happens then there'll be some who won't realise that they need hospitalisation until it's too late.

Hearing lots of first-hand accounts on social media about Canadians having full-blown flu-like symptoms, but they are being denied testing for COVID-19 because they didn't need to be hospitalized.

There are three people in just my home with severe flu like symptoms,we're not being tested and told not to come to the hospital unless absulutely necessary,I"m sure that there are many other people in the same situation that are not in the statistics being presented to the public.The good news is that its been six days since I came down with this and I'm starting to feel better.

Still have the same thoughts?

Nope. Now that we have more factual information, not at all.

It's the people who still haven't done the same (changed their mind in the face of new/updated/factual/scientific facts) who are the problem right now. There's no longer anymore reason for people to not have the facts, although places like Fox news continue to spread "alternative facts", which is a big part of the reason the USA is now the pandemic leader.

Cruise ships are still very clean, however. But stick thousands of people in any confined space right now and the same spread will happen. Cruise ship or, say, all the large gathering places that are closed right now like bars, churches, stadiums, etc etc. Same result. It doesn't mean cruise ships are inherently dirty...it just means this virus is particularly good at spreading easily.

Last edited:

The actual "regular" flu is still going around as well FWIW.

And personally, I wouldn't be going anywhere near a hospital right now unless I *needed* to, IE, I can't breathe. If I got Covid tomorrow and had symptoms that didn't leave me needing a hospital, I wouldn't go to one just to get a test to confirm what we might automatically suspect anyways. Isolate and quarantine yourself until it passes. Save the hospitals for the people who NEED them because they are failing.

Having a "yes" or "no" checkbox on a test wouldn't mean much to me personally once you're down and out sick in bed at home anyways.

Their testing situation down there is still a mess, as is the overall picture, so don't automatically think they're doing better than us. We have family in Mississippi. Their governor just override counties a few days ago and said restaurants could reopen, and mandated gun shops as "essential services". Our expat family living there are shaking their head. I have a snowbird friend who just fled Florida last week and came home with endless stories about how many of his Florida resident friends are still in outright denial that this is anything more than a "hoax". It's the PEOPLE there that are going to cause this to blow up because a large percentage of US residents aren't taking this seriously, and a percentage of that group think it's all a big "liberal hoax".

Want a small slice of proof? Go read Killboy's facebook page. They blocked one end of the Tail of the Dragon a few days ago because they are trying to discourage people riding it...coming down and spreading the virus through tourism, stopping in big gatherings as often happens there, and of course, crashing on it and overwhelming their very rural hospitals and emergency services. Now, the head shakers are in the comments - many people basically saying "**** this, they're trampling in on my rights as an American citizen, this is all a big joke, I'm going to ride halfway across the country and do what I damned well please" blah blah blah.

THAT's their biggest issue right now. Denial of reality.

THAT's their biggest issue right now. Denial of reality.

And on top of the denial of reality.......

"as of March 11, the United States had performed only 23 tests per million people, while the U.K had performed 347 per million, Italy 826 per million, and South Korea 3,692 per million, according to an analysis by multiple media outlets and the COVID Tracking Project."

"First, many test kits released by the CDC on Feb. 4 were defective. Designing and manufacturing these tests is challenging, and sometimes problems arise. There have been reports that early Chinese tests may have had a false negative rate as high as 50%. But rather than encourage university labs and private companies to help with test development, the FDA withheld permission for such work until Feb. 29. Contrast this with the response in South Korea, where a private biotechnology company began developing a test on Jan. 16, had a working version ready by Feb. 5t and had government approval for use one week later. That company is manufacturing enough kits to test a million people per week."

CDC Director Robert Redfield was testifying in front of Congress, and Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz was asking who was responsible for ensuring that those who needed to be tested could be tested. After several attempts to dodge the question, Redfield fell silent. He had no answer. He stared down at his desk, before slowly turning to a man seated next to him. It was Anthony Fauci, director of infectious diseases at the NIH. He had the courage to say what Redfield wouldn't. "The system is not geared to what we need right now," he said. "And that is a failing
."

Recent polling shows 60% of the US believes the government is doing a good job at managing the situation. We might need to deploy troops on the border soon.

49711704538_978e1eb26d_b.jpg

Three weeks ago I ordered this pulse-oximeter from Amazon for $53.

If any of us get sick, tool will be invaluable to determine when you need to seek professional help, i.e. you are having trouble maintaining blood oxygen levels.

I7qgOPa.jpg
Some phones do pulse ox as well I think. Not sure how accurate it is. If your blood ox drops, you'll know. Its never a bad idea to have more information to give to give to paramedics/hospital. It shows you are being responsible and only getting help when needed instead of running screaming through the streets.

Last edited:

If any of us get sick, tool will be invaluable to determine when you need to seek professional help, i.e. you are having trouble maintaining blood oxygen levels.

I7qgOPa.jpg
Interesting. Didn't know such things existed on the consumer market. May look into one myself.

I7qgOPa.jpg
Many Samsung phones have this built in part of the Samsung Heath app. Uses the sensor on the back by the camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom