Complete beginner getting Bmw s1000RR as first bike? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Complete beginner getting Bmw s1000RR as first bike?

so as i said, im not touching a 1000cc, let alone a bmw s1000rr. the purpose of this thread was to hammer in any remaining loose nails re: qualms my mind was having of "but maybe i should..."

i dont want to pay for my suicide.

jutst gonna stick to a 600cc for a few years and go from there.
Good to hear about the litre bike. Save that as your reward for getting your full M if you must have one some day.

I don't know you or your ability/discipline on a bike but even a 600 is pretty intense for a new rider. I'm not going tell you it's instant death but it will demand a lot of you. That's a massive jump in performance from the M2 exit bikes. Just something to keep in mind.

Everyone including me wants that awesome first bike, and we all end up going through 3 to 6 or more in the first few years until we find the right fit. Don't rush into it, enjoy learning and building your skills and confidence. The 600 or litre bike will be much more enjoyable and rewarding once you have the skills to control it.

Very odd that they would insure an FZ/MT-09 but not an old CBR600F4i that has 90-something RWHP. Nonsensical pigeonholing.
Not if thats what all the kids are crashing these days (they are).

I'm up for renewal and asked what the premiums on a few other bikes were (Echelon rates only) . M2, 3yrs clean/continuous insurance, 705 rural area code.

2018 S1000rr - $9400 / yr
recent year R6 / GSXR 600 / CBR600 are all within a few hundred bucks of $4k /yr.

As a reference I paid $2400 the first year insuring my R3. Thats down to $1250 this year.

I was wondering why there is so many cheap 600/1000's on Kijiji lately...
Échelon is the worst for those, TD, Allstate or Wawa these days for SS only

so as i said, im not touching a 1000cc, let alone a bmw s1000rr. the purpose of this thread was to hammer in any remaining loose nails re: qualms my mind was having of "but maybe i should..."

I love getting hammered too ??

600cc SS bike is bonkers fast too just an fyi

600cc SS bike is bonkers fast too just an fyi
Just get the r6, your wrists will disown you but at least you have to wind it up to a billion rpm before you get to the good stuff.

Just get the r6, your wrists will disown you but at least you have to wind it up to a billion rpm before you get to the good stuff.
I haven’t ridden the new R6 it’s probably a razor blade just like the R1 though. I plan to use the R6 when I do the fast school next year.

I have to say the 13-18 636 is not too too bad in terms of ergos, suspension and torque down low. It’s probably the most streetable out of the big 4 brands

omg man, why would you do that to yourself a 600 what 4 cylinder bike? The bigger bike you go for your first, all you are doing is increasing your learning curve. The smaller and lighter your first bike, the faster you are going to learn all the bike things. Way more of them then you realize at the moment. Think small, learn fast, then it will be no time at all before you are good to ride any of them.

... several of the previous posts were sarcasm but there is no font for sarcasm

I have to say the 13-18 636 is not too too bad in terms of ergos, suspension and torque down low. It’s probably the most streetable out of the big 4 brands
yap!

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Sure, it’s configured with 2 wheels, brakes, a throttle and clutch.

It’s not just HP you need to consider. Electronic nannies may keep things in check but, things happen a lot quicker on a machine like this than something in the novice sector.

I’m sure it was said in this thread and it’s been stated many times before, it’s fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow.

There is wisdom to those words and seasoned riders can often tell you about the joys of riding smaller machines and the trouble they got themselves into.

Money not a factor and simply acces, I’d still recommend steering clear.

Learn to be a good rider on a novice or intermediate machine before taking the leap to a performance machine.

But, the OP knew this before even posting the question.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also, not sure about the OP, though for my first bike I wanted something I could learn how to wrench on, a simple bike. Oil changes and all made effortless, no CPUs or constant dealer visits. I feel that beemer, would involve a lot of computer gadgetry and BMW trickery for basic wrenching, esp for a beginner. So Insurance aside, if your not already mechanically adapt or happy to work on such a bike, expect mechanical fees on top

whats the purpose of you posting facetious comments on a thread asking a completely relevant and serious question? do u think its appropriate?
Ditto.

Get a proper bike for learning on. An R6 is not it.

Might as well get the 1000 of you are getting a 600 it is a better street bike easier to ride as well.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

the reason i was going for a 600cc is because of my size. you guys recommend i gofor a 300cc if the person weights like 270pounds and 6'2?

omg man, why would you do that to yourself a 600 what 4 cylinder bike? The bigger bike you go for your first, all you are doing is increasing your learning curve. The smaller and lighter your first bike, the faster you are going to learn all the bike things. Way more of them then you realize at the moment. Think small, learn fast, then it will be no time at all before you are good to ride any of them.

... several of the previous posts were sarcasm but there is no font for sarcasm
ok

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom