Complete beginner getting Bmw s1000RR as first bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Complete beginner getting Bmw s1000RR as first bike?

Phalanx

1.Just give it to me straight. Is this just completely stupid and suicidal ? Completely new rider, have had M2 license few years but no bike experience besides bike course.

Getting my first bike ever and am a brand-new rider. I was going to strictly stay far far away from litre bikes and only go for 600cc. However friend is selling his bmw s1000rr and i can get it at a very good price. This is really the only reason im even considering getting a 1000cc. I know this bike has different settings for speed and you can leave it in rain modes to go slower, but with the higher speeds available most ppl are obviously going to use it if its there a click away... some people say it has lots of safety features.

People with experience, what are your thoughts? (besides insurance issues and discussion pls just stick to my question)

If you feel you need to put me in my place and tear me a new one please do as I need to understand this.

2.What about maintenance on this bike? How much more expensive is it, if it is, vs the japanese bikes like yamaha and kawasaki?

Last edited:
What sort of quotes are you getting? $10,000/year? 20?

It's not completely crazy considering the bike's multiple electronic nannies, but just about anything else is going to be more sensible.

Either way insurance is going to quash your S1000RR dreams, unless money is no object to you.

You're going to do what ever you want no matter what anyone says. So get the bike but respect the power, don't ride with a group until you're very comfortable with the bike. The temptation to race will through logic out the window and get you into trouble. It only takes one mistake and you won't know what to do and that's how you end up dead. Get a copy of Twist of the wrist and watch it over and over again, this might save your life. Have fun, be safe and respect the power. By the way my first bike was a 2008 Honda 1000RR.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Sure, I'll confirm it for you: That is way too much motorcycle for your first ever motorcycle. Buy a stupid little dirt bike at the same time, learn to crash on the dirt with the stupid little dirt bike first, so you don't need to learn how to crash that big huge powerful motorcycle on the street.

oops wrong thread hi ?

no wait I do have something to add: 'Respect the power' :ROFLMAO: is that anything like saying be ready for it to pull your arms out of their sockets just before you go sky view.

My ninja 636 is way faster than anyone needs for the street, and it is not an easy ride compared to other bikes - now double the horsepower and you’ve got the s1000rr.. what would you even do with an s1000rr on the street? It wouldn’t even be fun because you’d be risking losing your license every time you open the throttle. It’s a track bike, and a very serious one. that’s why you very rarely see them on the street. The 600s aren’t even that much fun on the street and if I didnt move to the country I’d either track only my 636 or sell it. Driving around the city on a supersport would suck all kinds of penis. Plus it will be expensive when you drop it or crash it which new riders almost always do. IMO if you’ve got the cash and you still want a blast of a bike go with a used fz8 - same style engine more streetable riding position, insurance will be f***** for you but the s1000 would be like 13000 a year for insurance. The fz8 has an inline 4 engine that revs up high but has more relaxed riding position. You can get them for around 4-5k, and then if it ends up trashed it’s not a down payment on a house down the drain (insurance + bike)

Sure, I'll confirm it for you: That is way too much motorcycle for your first ever motorcycle. Buy a stupid little dirt bike at the same time, learn to crash on the dirt with the stupid little dirt bike first, so you don't need to learn how to crash that big huge powerful motorcycle on the street.
That’s too much motorcycle for 95% of the experienced riders you are talking to - even with the nannies. Your friend is probably realizing the insurance costs don’t justify the bike, as many before him have discovered.

Get yourself a 300cc bike, learn to ride it well then graduate to a bigger bike. Deals on litre RRs aren’t hard to find, I’m sure in 5 years when you graduate prom novice to proficient the deals will be even better.

That’s too much motorcycle for 95% of the experienced riders you are talking to - even with the nannies. Your friend is probably realizing the insurance costs don’t justify the bike, as many before him have discovered.

Get yourself a 300cc bike, learn to ride it well then graduate to a bigger bike. Deals on litre RRs aren’t hard to find, I’m sure in 5 years when you graduate prom novice to proficient the deals will be even better.

I have both a 300 and a 636 and I ride the R3 more, I like ringing the **** out of it ha.

1%er - by the end of the day this thread is going to have a 150 posts telling you it’s a bad idea

I know this bike has different settings for speed and you can leave it in rain modes to go slower, but with the higher speeds available most ppl are obviously going to use it if its there a click away... some people say it has lots of safety features.
You need to learn a LOT more about that bike and bikes in general.I seriously doubt that you will have any interest after getting an insurance quote.

OP, it sounds like you already know the answer and if you are genuinely looking for advice DON'T DO IT. That bike is a weapon, and should not be ridden by someone without the experience or skill to handle it.

Start with something smaller, hone your skills and have fun. I honestly miss my 300, it's way more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the best of ideas...could give you a handful of reasons of why not but I assume your insurance quote will take care of any interest in going through with it.

what are your thoughts?

tenor.gif

The insurance cost will likely be $4500 - $7000.
My neighbour (26y/o) did the same thing, exactly ('16 S1000RR) last month.
He's paying just shy of 5 large / year.

Is this a joke? lol... Been riding since I was kid, got an SV650 as the first bike here, sold it for a 500cc a year later. Not because it was too much bike, because it wasn't confidence inspiring, there is no way, even now after 4+ years of street experience would I even consider a 1000RR anything, waaay beyond my limits, or any street. As a first bike, its important YOU control the bike, if its the other way around, and the fact that the price is already swaying you, its a bad gamble, just my 2 cents

Buys first ever motorcycle BMW double R, learns to ride by reading how to race a motorcycle book
:unsure: 22 second pause

if "very good price" is 10 cents on the dollar, I would recommend you buy it and not plate or ride it.

Back
Top Bottom