Complete beginner getting Bmw s1000RR as first bike? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Complete beginner getting Bmw s1000RR as first bike?

the reason i was going for a 600cc is because of my size. you guys recommend i gofor a 300cc if the person weights like 270pounds and 6'2?

That does change things.

The old CBR600F4i would probably be a good option for you - more upright than current 600s and your weight will keep things tame unless you redline every gear.

The ubiquitous SV650 is also a good option for bigger guys, good torque down low and flat torque curve.

ok so since 600cc is too much power you guys say as well. what CC should i be going for then and not go over. for a person thats about 6'2 and 270 pounds. also i read talk about cylinders, how many cylinders should i stick to then?

ok so since 600cc is too much power you guys say as well. what CC should i be going for then and not go over. for a person thats about 6'2 and 270 pounds. also i read talk about cylinders, how many cylinders should i stick to then?
cylinders is really preference once you get out of the starting gate.

270lbs starting bike and you`re fairly tall.

i would say cbr500r. It's big enough to give you more room then the 300s and has more power to accommodate your size and not have you bored after a season and looking for a reason to upgrade.

Even if you can afford the f4i/600 super sports they are race bikes with addons to make them street legal, i would not say the power is the real problem. They do not make good power down low, they are not comfortable to ride at slow speeds, they have super sensitive brakes/throttle application and they will bleed your wallet dry from insurance payments.

if you do have the cheddar and you`re not worried then instead opt for an MT-07/SV650 (middle weight naked sport bikes). You still need to respect the power but they have PLENTY of performance as you learn. Or if you are hankering for the more plastic sport bike image then a Honda CBR650R/650F. You would look just like a super sport but much much more street friendly.

Displacement is only a rough indicator of power, but not the best one.

There are a lot of other factors which determines how much power an engine makes, like compression ratio, and whether it's air-cooled/liquid-cooled, two-stroke vs four-stroke. These are some examples of motorcycle engines all made by Suzuki:

An SV650 has a 650cc engine that makes about 70hp.
A Boulevard S40 with 650cc makes 30hp
A GSX-R600 with 600cc makes close to 110hp.
A GS500 with 500cc makes 50hp.
A RM250 with 250cc makes 55hp.

The numbers are all over the place. A better way to determine power is just to look up the stats.

Horsepower doesn't tell the entire story though, there are other factors like power-to-weight ratio, torque and gear ratios. These all translate into how much trouble you'll get into if you goose the throttle when something jumps out at you and surprises you, as most beginners are apt to do.

The problem with asking for advice from strangers is that nobody knows your skill level. The general consensus is to start with a lesser-powered, lighter motorcycle so you get some experience of not just of how what riding a motorcycle feels like, but also what could go wrong: like target fixation, inadvertently goosing the throttle, stabbing the brakes, not keeping the motorcycle upright enough when stopping, not looking where you put your feet, etc. Most of these things have lower (and cheaper) consequences on a beginner bike.

If you truly feel like you are more skilled than average, then start off with a bigger bike. But my opinion is that if you buy a cheap, used, small bike to begin with - maybe one that's a bit cosmetically damaged - you can sell it after one season for exactly what you paid for it, or sometimes even more. There is always a large market for used beginner bikes, they get bought and sold very quickly. And if you drop that cheap, rashed-up beginner bike during that first season, you're not paying out the wazoo to replace fairings, levers, mirrors and footpegs.

One riding season and close to zero cost to ensure you have the proper base to build your skills on is not a bad trade-off.

CBR500R (y) or similar. Pretty hard to beat those for priced / bike value, you are only allowed to ride solo anyway for a year or hopefully more and passengers would be the biggest motivation to go big. It's a twin, but it feels like a great big single.

A Ducati Scrambler wouldn't be a bad choice or fit for him.It's only money.

i'm about his size and started out on the cbr500 no problems with highway or power

A Ducati Scrambler wouldn't be a bad choice or fit for him.It's only money.
Comes with much better brakes then the Honda doesn't it? and suspension.
and frame
imo that is what you are paying the extra for.

Comes with much better brakes then the Honda doesn't it? and suspension.
and frame
imo that is what you are paying the extra for.
I have owned three Honda's.The suspension and brakes on two of them were junk.The Goldwing was fixable,the 2018 Rally was a pile of junk.The bike used up 60% of it's rear travel with my weight on it with the preload set to the max.It would have cost me about $5,000 to make it right.

I have owned three Honda's.The suspension and brakes on two of them were junk.The Goldwing was fixable,the 2018 Rally was a pile of junk.The bike used up 60% of it's rear travel with my weight on it with the preload set to the max.It would have cost me about $5,000 to make it right.
I think that's a fair assessment but only because you are familiar with better brakes and suspension
:) rode all day today again, it was perfect.

I think that's a fair assessment but only because you are familiar with better brakes and suspension
:) rode all day today again, it was perfect.
The Honda Trialer is an exception.The sticker may say Honda,but we both know it's a Montesa.

A shock and some fork emulators wouldn't have cost you $5 grand; but throwing decent money at a crf250 Rally seems like a bad idea.

Budget bike, budget suspension.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

So, now that we have all that out of the way..... the bigger question is:

What kind of 1%'er rides anything but a Harley?

Or maybe a Victory.

Maybe a Beemer if you're high up enough on the totem pole to not get razzed about it.

;)

That's a great video, should be mandatory for new riders to watch. Then should be watched again after their first season to keep the overconfidence that develops after riding a smaller bike for a few months in check.

Too many replies since my last post in this thread, anyone know if the OP bought the S1K yet?

Since this is still ongoing, here's a good reason to start with a very small bike <=300cc, even for a big guy.
If you have a small bike that goes 0-15 in three seconds in first gear vs a larger bike that goes 0-100 in three seconds,
you'll more likely want to crash the smaller bike into something three seconds away, than the larger one.
The other thing is that the smaller bike is more likely to stall vs launch when compared to the larger, when you mess up from a stop.

Back
Top Bottom