Votes: 6 12.2%
  • PC led Minority

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Liberal led Minority

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sad
So long as we still have good old fashioned news where an anchor sits in a chair and just reports the news, I'm fine.

I'll draw my own conclusions, opinions, and judgements on the matters at hand afterwards, thanks.

Problem is, actually just reporting the news, without injecting "opinions" or wanting to debate it, is falling by the wayside.

It's getting hard to find just the news anymore without being forced into "newstainment" which is the news, followed by endless chatter by talking heads (or worse yet, empty heads) who want to inject their mindless opinions about it.

Studies have shown that this sort of "newstainment" is sufficient to eventually convince people to go against their own beliefs, when consumed in sufficient quantities. Lets use Fox news for an example which manages to convince even the religious right that what Trump is doing (which is against so many of their morals and beliefs) is A-OK...because it's drilled into their heads over and over again on TV that he has a "bigger plan" underway and his transgressions are "just little things" that are "part of the bigger plan". If these same people were just presented with the facts and no 60 minute talkshow about it after the fact, reality would be far less forgiving to Trump right now.
None of this is new, virtually every Canadian news media has roots in politics dating back to the mid 1800s when the leading papers had editors who were influential politicians, they used media as a tool to disseminate partisan POVs.

Abacus Data has a good look at Canadian's feelings on media bias and "fake news" Abacus Data | Canadian News Media And “Fake News” Under A Microscope

As for Trump and Fox, that's a topic that deserves it's own thread. Sadly I think the average American is considerably more capable of having a meaningful civics discussion than most Canadians.

CBC is slightly to the left, but not much. That said, most of the population is slightly left of center, so one could argue that it's right where it should be.

I've seen some claims it's "far left" but that's just not true. Well, it's true if you consider Sun News or Post Media center or center-left, I guess.

This site is fairly good for checking where sources fall on the spectrum: Media Bias/Fact Check - Search and Learn the Bias of News Media

CBC is slightly to the left, but not much. That said, most of the population is slightly left of center, so one could argue that it's right where it should be.

I've seen some claims it's "far left" but that's just not true. Well, it's true if you consider Sun News or Post Media center or center-left, I guess.

This site is fairly good for checking where sources fall on the spectrum: Media Bias/Fact Check - Search and Learn the Bias of News Media
Curious why they are not threatening to sue the Liberal party for using their footage but did so to the Cons. :unsure:

Media has been doing this kind of thing for decades. If it were taken to court, the can of worms would be massive and pointless.

The key to digesting news media is knowing the bias beforehand. I also can't stand newstainment either. Sadly even the BBC is getting afflicted by this, their news website has been going a bit downhill recently with a few crappy clickbait stories popping up.

If I watch MSNBC I know they will be frothing at the mouth about everything that Trump does, if I watch Fox I know they will be making him out to be the second coming. I rarely watch CBC these days, I just skip it and watch BBC news. The problem these days is that there's a source of news to promote everyone's built in bias and if that's all you read then everything else is "fake news" to you.

CBC has a notable Left-Center bias. By the way Canadians are centrist -- meaning they are evenly disbursed in a narrow range around center, there is very little far left or right. As a state run media outlet, any bias toward a political party becomes an issue. The CBC has often be accused of operating on behalf of Liberal leanings as a way to seek tacit approvals for their budgets and interests.

1571687933683.png

While CBC is generally found to be dependable and centered on news, they do not get the same ratings when it comes to editorial opinions, and programming where they are historically left leaning.

Trivial point: Anyone else notice mediabiasfactcheck.com has the left and right colors reversed on their arrows?

Those colours are true to American parties. Democrats Blue and Republicans Red.

Being public, CBC leans left or right depending on the government in power. A bit two-faced, but it's a bit understandable, I guess.
On average left of centre, or centre-left, is the bias I see.

Canadians are not centrist, as 60 percent of Canada votes left and 40 percent votes right. It is even more left when there is a higher turnout at the polls.

Looks like we may see the demise of the Liberal Majority, if they don't gain seats in Quebec (Go Bloc!) i'd say Trudeau is not long for the leadership.

I wish 338canada ran a live infographic tracking their predictions vs reality. It would be interesting to watch as polls closed across the country.

As for conventional new sources, the vast majority seem to be grouping leading and elected into the same category. You think the liberals have won 25 seats out east and realize only 10% of the polls have reported. Completely useless data.

680news has an easy to read table that separates leading, elected and popular vote. Thumbs up for them.

So far, Liberals are down. Rolling through Quebec and into ON now. This is where it gets decided.

Libs 82
Cons 56
NDP 10
BQ 13
GRN 1
PPC 0

So far, Liberals are down. Rolling through Quebec and into ON now. This is where it gets decided.

Libs 82
Cons 56
NDP 10
BQ 13
GRN 1
PPC 0
'leading the vote' is fairly misleading though, no idea what the spreads actually are.

LIB

Pop vote: 38.04%
Elected: 25
Lead: 95

CON

Pop vote: 30.88%
Elected: 16
Lead: 81

BQ

Pop vote: 3.86%
Elected: 2
Lead: 27

NDP

Pop vote: 14.97%
Elected: 1
Lead: 12

GRN

Pop vote: 9.74%
Elected: 1
Lead: 0

PPC

Pop vote: 1.4%
Elected: 0

OTH

Pop vote: 1.12%
Elected: 0

Multiple news channels have called it for the Liberals - only question now is majority of minority.

Interesting that news agencies are calling it already. Some of the seats that they are leading in only have a single station reporting out of hundreds. We'll shortly see whether there is any "news" left or just entertainment based on the world around us.

Wonder if they are calling it already to somehow influence the west which still might be voting.

Wonder if they are calling it already to somehow influence the west which still might be voting.

Polls closed at 7pm local (10pm here).

Back
Top Bottom