Buying gear from Europe | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying gear from Europe

I buy lots of stuff (gear, parts) from Europe. Its usually WAY cheaper even with shipping and duties. I'm not sure why things are so out of whack here... (greedy resellers?)

I buy lots of stuff (gear, parts) from Europe. Its usually WAY cheaper even with shipping and duties. I'm not sure why things are so out of whack here... (greedy resellers?)

It's been brought up before: Canada is a terrible market for motorcycle vendors. We're 1/10th the population of the US and most of the riders here are unable/unwilling to hop on their motorcycles for six months out of the year.

If vendors aren't able to turn a profit on volume, they've got to do it on margin instead.

Also, the way foreign-made motorcycle products (which is just about everything) are brought into the country, retailers have to order stock through a distributor instead of going straight to the manufacturer. There are only a couple of distributors in Canada and being essentially a monopoly, they build in a very healthy margin on all the products they bring in, which eventually gets passed along to the consumer.

Contrast this to Canadian companies like Pazzo. We get much better pricing from Canadian retailers when they are able to go direct to the manufacturer and sell Canadian-made products.

The big cities of Europe, particularly in the south, are filled with motorcycles (mostly scooters). You don't want to drive in Rome unless you have to, but the back alleys are full of parked scooters. There are motorcycle gear retailers everywhere. There are chains of retailers (Motocard has 19 locations). Here, you have to go looking for them.

New pair of Gaerne G Daker boots from FC Moto.

IMG_20221019_174413726.jpg

About $600 plus HST here in Canada, but my size not available. $350, including shipping, plus HST from FC. So $400 all in, to my door. About ten days or so.

Would buy from them again, as long as size is known. I guessed this time, and was lucky.

Forgot to update my shipment. Weird that I was getting a Spanish helmet from a Spanish reseller shipped from Holland, but whatever. Took 10 days, $38 in HST and duty added on.

New pair of Gaerne G Daker boots from FC Moto.

View attachment 58479

About $600 plus HST here in Canada, but my size not available. $350, including shipping, plus HST from FC. So $400 all in, to my door. About ten days or so.

Would buy from them again, as long as size is known. I guessed this time, and was lucky.
Have you got a link to the site please?

So how do people confirm their sizes for an overseas purchase where return costs would be prohibitive - by fitting at a local store ? That doesn’t seem right, and I don’t trust sizing charts

So how do people confirm their sizes for an overseas purchase where return costs would be prohibitive - by fitting at a local store ? That doesn’t seem right, and I don’t trust sizing charts
Need a fitting - go to a local store and buy there, as it's unfair to treat them as a "demo room". Know the size or a price is good enough to guess it - order from abroad. Worse case scenario you can sell it locally.

That's my approach.

Google ______ boots sizing and you'll be able to find out how they run size wise. Here's a link to Gaernes. Most say they run big and go a size down from your shoes (or eg: a* boots).

Need a fitting - go to a local store and buy there, as it's unfair to treat them as a "demo room". Know the size or a price is good enough to guess it - order from abroad. Worse case scenario you can sell it locally.

That's my approach.
Yeah, that’s what I meant by it not seeming right. I do, however draw the line at Indigo, where I will happily thumb through books before ordering anything interesting from Amazon. But that’s because I don’t like Reisman.

I definitely do not trust online sizing charts though, nor anecdote, especially if I am buying something that I will be wearing.

Last edited:
Just letting you know that for this week, FC moto has a 20% discount on everything; as someone pointed it might happen.

Got a pair of pants, plus booths and gloves for the wife. After including the price of the shipping, it is less than the cost of purchasing only the pants here in Canada. I hope to get lucky and not pay HST.

Just letting you know that for this week, FC moto has a 20% discount on everything; as someone pointed it might happen.

Got a pair of pants, plus booths and gloves for the wife. After including the price of the shipping, it is less than the cost of purchasing only the pants here in Canada. I hope to get lucky and not pay HST.

Am I missing something? Every item I look at says "Unfortunately, the product is not available for your selected delivery country"

I even tried to add the Gaerne boots @Jayell bought, and got the same issue.

Last edited:
Am I missing something? Every item I look at says "Unfortunately, the product is not available for your selected delivery country"

Different browser?

Different browser?
I tried Chrome and deleted cookies and other site data. Then Firefox on PC, and Safari on iPhone. The Alpinestars Tech Air 5 is crazy cheap at $560 CAD.

I didn't have this issue with the products that I ordered. I just tried with the Tech Air 5 you mentioned and got the same error as you; I switched the delivery country to Mexico and it says that it can be shipped. Strange.

Could have something to do with the N/A importers' rights to exclusivity or set price points.

I didn't have this issue with the products that I ordered. I just tried with the Tech Air 5 you mentioned and got the same error as you; I switched the delivery country to Mexico and it says that it can be shipped. Strange.
Use a VPN.

Sent from my ZTE A2020U Pro using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom