Buying gear from Europe | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying gear from Europe

So with that exhaust, do you think you'll take the "pole" in your next race?
Ok, I'm bored.

Went to see a concert in Krakow and was disappointed to find there were no good seats anywhere in the stadium.

No matter where you went, you were always sitting behind a Pole.

@mimico_polak @oioioi

I bought my exhaust from Poland, UPS shipped from there to me in 3 days! $50 customs fees. No big deal.
Wow....that’s fast and I guess worth it! When my cousin wrecked his GSXR750 showing off to his gf (now wife) while doing an stoppie/endo? I spent over 1000$ here to get him fairings and pieces shipped there.

Interesting info on the import fees or lack thereof.
I was looking at a pair of Sidi boots on a Polish version of ebay. There were about $200 cheaper than here. I was going to have my cousin ship them to me.
I have since decided to go with Daytona boots which actually work out to be a same price or even cheaper at Riders Choice as they they them on sale now.

All the tax/duty/exchange rate/broker fee info is available for one to look at, calculate and figure out the cost of buying abroad.
Why are so many people "surprised" by fees/etc...?
'Cuz they dont do their homework. That's why.

All the tax/duty/exchange rate/broker fee info is available for one to look at, calculate and figure out the cost of buying abroad.
Why are so many people "surprised" by fees/etc...?
'Cuz they dont do their homework. That's why.
I think the surprise is more because they were hoping to slip by the system and when the customs bill comes it like "oh really, you had to charge me?"

At the same time its not so much the customs fees that are the surprise but rather the additional fees the courier may add on.

I remember years ago I purchased a set of snowboard bindings off of eBay. UPS delivered and I had to pay $70 in additional UPS fees for a $200 set of bindings.

Its things like this that burn you and make purchasing things from across the border or pond and shipped by these couriers not so appealing.

At the same time its not so much the customs fees that are the surprise but rather the additional fees the courier may add on.

Sure, but... These fees are available to find out B4 you decide to order...

I have bought from Chromeburner....each time was worth it. Having said that I have bought more from GP bikes and they will do a very good job of trying to match a price if you just ask. Hey I saw this jacket online for 15% less.....any way you can match that? Let me speak to the manager......no problem. When I have bought from Chromeburner it was for a helmet not sold here and some gloves GP couldn't get me (in fact weren't for sale in Canada). Either way give the local place a shot at your business. I have been pleasantly surprised.

This doesn't apply to European shipping, but is an interesting breakdown on why shipping ground is sometimes more expensive than air from the US:

International shipping to Canada, brokerage fees with UPS, FedEx, and DHL

The problem is they do such a bad job of explaining what the fees are for, and it leads to lots of confusion. There's a class-action lawsuit against DHL in BC right now because they lump everything into a 'Taxes & Duties' fee, without clearly disclosing that a big chunk is for brokerage etc.

I was all USPS, all the time for years, but they've gotten incredibly slow since about February. DHL got me a slipper clutch from Italy in three days for less than some clip-on bars from Michigan (which have been repeatedly looping through the system in Chicago for almost two weeks. Tracking has become an infuriating cycle of getting an update text, only to see 'order processed through facility in Chicago' for the fifth time...)

I ended up ordering from the Canadian arm of a Japanese company in Vancouver.
Nobody local seems to have stock or even an interest in carrying it.
It ended up costing about $100 more than the rough equivalent from Chromeburner, but there shouldn't be any "hidden" charges.

I ended up ordering from the Canadian arm of a Japanese company in Vancouver.
Nobody local seems to have stock or even an interest in carrying it.
It ended up costing about $100 more than the rough equivalent from Chromeburner, but there shouldn't be any "hidden" charges.
what is the name of the Canadian/Japanese company in Vancouver?

Ha. I was looking at some air bag vest in the last few days.
Fortnine had a Helite Turtle Plus XL while I was looking, but I would have had to go to MotoMike.ca to get the 100cc refills.
Looks like the vest is gone now.

I just received my order from FC Moto! Ordered from there since no one local had the helmet colourway I wanted, as well as an Alphinestars jacket. It came after two weeks ordering and paid nothing in duties, just shipping fees. I was surprised I wasn't pinned a penny since it was a large dollar order.

Like others said, duty fee is 50/50. If you're patient and willing to take a chance with duty, it may be worth it especially if items are on sale sale. Just be extra sure you choose the right size, I don't expect returns and exchanges to be feasible.

I wish I had seen this earlier. Try contacting Speedworx in Markham (see if Fuad is still working there) as that’s where I got my Hit Air vest from and they did me a deal as I worked out a group buy.

I think the moral of this story is if you can't buy local:
  • Look at as many online / location options as possible.
  • Communicate with the store / vendor / company.
  • Know and expect "extra fees, charges, taxes etc."
  • If it shows up on time and without costing an arm and leg. Enjoy!

I am looking at buying some gear from Motostorm. In case it is subject to duties and taxes, what is maximum that I should expect to pay for, say merchandise worth around 800 Euros?

Or a link perhaps where I can calculate the duties and taxes myself, would be appreciated. Thank you!

The pricing difference is almost half!

Back
Top Bottom