Buying gear from Europe | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying gear from Europe

I am looking at buying some gear from Motostorm. In case it is subject to duties and taxes, what is maximum that I should expect to pay for, say merchandise worth around 800 Euros?

Or a link perhaps where I can calculate the duties and taxes myself, would be appreciated. Thank you!

The pricing difference is almost half!
13% ON HST + 18% duty on gear + broker fees

I believe there is no duty on apparel from the U.S. or Mexico now. Just HST.

From. US yes, no duties. Never ordered from Mexico.
BTW, anyone ordered something from Germany recently? How long a delivery took? I have 2 packages shipped via DHL (supposed to be handled by Canada Post here). They left Germany (according to DHL tracking) over a week ago, but Canada Post tracking still says "Waiting for the item". Is it now a normal case (before COVID madness it usually took 1 - 2 days to show up on CP tracking), or should I begin to worry about it?

From. US yes, no duties. Never ordered from Mexico.
BTW, anyone ordered something from Germany recently? How long a delivery took? I have 2 packages shipped via DHL (supposed to be handled by Canada Post here). They left Germany (according to DHL tracking) over a week ago, but Canada Post tracking still says "Waiting for the item". Is it now a normal case (before COVID madness it usually took 1 - 2 days to show on CP tracking), or should I begin to worry about it?
I had two packages from Germany recently, both came in under a week. But on their website DHL/Deutsche Post states that "Until further notice, parcels without Premium service will be transported to Canada by ocean freight only due to very limited transport capacities. Customers should expect significantly longer transit times."

Maybe you not as lucky as I was :(

I am considering buying some Held brand leather pants that will zipper together with my currently owned Held jacket. This purchase would be done on FC Moto. Anybody have good results with FC Moto and/or Held? comments, suggestions? I was just wondering if CRA was going to charge extra duties? thanks

In my photo avatar, I'm modelling Held's 75th Anniversary rain suit! 😁

I had two packages from Germany recently, both came in under a week. But on their website DHL/Deutsche Post states that "Until further notice, parcels without Premium service will be transported to Canada by ocean freight only due to very limited transport capacities. Customers should expect significantly longer transit times."

Maybe you not as lucky as I was :(
I really hope this isn't the case...
It's not clear what they mean by Premium service? Is it the one delivered by DHL in Canada?

Last edited:
I really hope this isn't the case...
It's not clear what they mean by Premium service? Is it the one delivered by DHL in Canada?
They call “DHL” everything in Germany, even the regular Deutsche Post shipments.

But keep in mind that with a cost of return shipping you have to be 100% sure about size/fit.

yes, 100% certain on size and fit which makes it a bit more of a gamble. but, I'm goin for it.

Yes, they are very good. Both packages arrived in 3 days via Canada Post and got no interest from CBSA.
You must be extremely lucky. My package from them left Germany on Aug 10th. Canada Post still shows "Waiting for the item" status

I am considering buying some Held brand leather pants that will zipper together with my currently owned Held jacket. This purchase would be done on FC Moto. Anybody have good results with FC Moto and/or Held? comments, suggestions? I was just wondering if CRA was going to charge extra duties? thanks
I've had excellent results with both.

I'd put Held up with RST for the best value/quality combo out there. Prices are reasonable and the products go from mid-range to premium. I have a Held leather jacket and pants combo (Cosmo and Avolo respectively) that is beautifully made, comfortable, and is the coolest (temperature, not style) leather suit I've ever worn. They advertise a 'TFL Cool' coating on the leather that's supposed to reflect heat, and while I assumed it was the usual marketing bumpf, it actually seems to work.

I also have a pair of the Titan Evo gloves for track use that I dearly love, as well as some street gloves that I can't remember the name of (which I don't love so much, but only because the fingers are a bit long and it makes using the floppy touchscreen fingertip a bit of a guessing game...)

As for FC-Moto, I've ordered a few things from them (including the above mentioned Held suit), and the delivery has always been super fast (usually about a week) and reasonably priced. Returns would be expensive, but at least they take them, unlike many local sellers for non-stock items...

From FC-Moto website:
Due to the tightened processes relating to import customs clearance in the USA, there are massive delays in delivery times at DHL/USPS. We are in constant communication with the DHL and work together to improve the situation and solve the problems. Nevertheless, it is currently unavoidable that very long runtimes can arise.
DHL/Canada Post is probably even worse. So, don't expect your order to be delivered in months :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. The only thing I can say is STOP this COVID/vaccination idiotism and GO BACK To WORK!!!

From FC-Moto website:
Due to the tightened processes relating to import customs clearance in the USA, there are massive delays in delivery times at DHL/USPS. We are in constant communication with the DHL and work together to improve the situation and solve the problems. Nevertheless, it is currently unavoidable that very long runtimes can arise.
DHL/Canada Post is probably even worse. So, don't expect your order to be delivered in months :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. The only thing I can say is STOP this COVID/vaccination idiotism and GO BACK To WORK!!!
It's been 9 days. Relax. A week is a best-case scenario, extra time is totally normal with just luck of the draw stuff like being put on a plane that didn't leave as quickly as others. I ordered a clutch lever from eBay that took over two months to arrive from Minnesota, just across the border. Sometimes it just takes a while, Covid or not. I have had a few things that didn't show as received by Canada Post for quite a while, then they were suddenly out for delivery, so it may not be the long wait you fear.

As for what you quote, it doesn't make any link to Covid, or Canada. It just says US Customs has tightened import clearance processes, which could be for any number of reasons. I'm not sure what that has to do with Covid, vaccines, or people "going back to work"...

Back
Top Bottom