Buying first bike | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying first bike

There’s no need for it. I just spoke with my insurance agent and the prices are already super low...I’m impressed how cheap it is lol

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Yeah. Who needs a course. You'll be fine. Lol.

M1x course teaches a lot more than how to shift...

Better to drop a course bike in a controlled situation than your own.

The first time you have an "oh **** moment" and almost get greased, you'll be glad you were hammered with collision avoidance excercises in the m1x course.

I've been riding 20 years, and there is still much to learn; still courses to take. Always keep honing your skills.

My .02c

Your life... your choice.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

There’s no need for it. I just spoke with my insurance agent and the prices are already super low...I’m impressed how cheap it is lol

Until it's signed nothing is for certain, give them the VIN # and go over all details to minimize surprises.

The MTO test isn't necessarily difficult but the drive test people can be savages. A motorcycle course has many benefits, including learning how to handle your motorcycle both on and off the seat and a nice insurance break for 3 years or so. We've had long time riders who took a break (kids/life) show up on day 1 with the (you can't teach me anything) attitude. Then after a few hours of riding the rear brake around cones they never fail to walk away impressed on what they didn't know.

Shameless plug by a resident motorcycle instructor.

I'd be the guy that would stop to help you if I seen you in trouble on the side of the road.

The bike is going to run very lean, it has to in order to have been imported (that is where the header pipe discolouration is coming from), if it idles nice, revs smoothly and then returns to idle nice without too much pop pop pop I think you would be good to go for a very long time.

These are the types of header guards I like to see and forget the crash bars to save the bike, those can hurt you too.

post-8072-0-55422700-1463777986.jpeg

Yeah. Who needs a course. You'll be fine. Lol.

M1x course teaches a lot more than how to shift...

Better to drop a course bike in a controlled situation than your own.

The first time you have an "oh **** moment" and almost get greased, you'll be glad you were hammered with collision avoidance excercises in the m1x course.

I've been riding 20 years, and there is still much to learn; still courses to take. Always keep honing your skills.

My .02c

Your life... your choice.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I appreciate your opinion but I don’t need a course. Thanks.

Until it's signed nothing is for certain, give them the VIN # and go over all details to minimize surprises.

The MTO test isn't necessarily difficult but the drive test people can be savages. A motorcycle course has many benefits, including learning how to handle your motorcycle both on and off the seat and a nice insurance break for 3 years or so. We've had long time riders who took a break (kids/life) show up on day 1 with the (you can't teach me anything) attitude. Then after a few hours of riding the rear brake around cones they never fail to walk away impressed on what they didn't know.

Shameless plug by a resident motorcycle instructor.

I understand that but I’m also 34 years old who’s been driving standards since I was a young kid. I’m not a know it all but I know for a fact I’ll slowly and cautiously learn everything there is to know about my 300lbs bike on my own and very quickly too I’m sure. It’s what I’ll be riding every single day for probably 2 months before I take the test. I also grew up on dirt bikes, skidoo’s, and atvs. This isn’t something exactly new to me?‍♀️.

I'd be the guy that would stop to help you if I seen you in trouble on the side of the road.

The bike is going to run very lean, it has to in order to have been imported (that is where the header pipe discolouration is coming from), if it idles nice, revs smoothly and then returns to idle nice without too much pop pop pop I think you would be good to go for a very long time.

These are the types of header guards I like to see and forget the crash bars to save the bike, those can hurt you too.

post-8072-0-55422700-1463777986.jpeg

Yup!! I’ll be listening to everything carefully. I honestly think this little Suzuki is in immaculate condition and nothing is wrong with it at all. Excited to see it tomorrow.

Ahhh, my favorite type of thread. Where people who've never ridden before tell people who have how easy it is

EDIT: I've reread and she said she rode dirt bikes, so my comment likely isn't valid. Saying you have experience from riding ATV's and Seadoos is wild though.

Last edited:
Ahhh, my favorite type of thread. Where people who've never ridden before tell people who have how easy it is
you're alive!

Seriously it is not wise not to take a course no one has ever died because they took a course but some have because they didn't. Every rider on here could learn more and it never hurts to set yourself up to be successful.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

New to the forum. 34 year old woman. I’m 90% sure I’ll be buying my very first bike tomorrow and was wondering of any helpful tips of things to look for on the bike when I go take a look at it tomorrow? I know I need to check to see if the vin matches, leaks, etc etc the bike looks like it’s literally STOCK. It’s a 2002 Suzuki savage s40 650cc. Really beautiful little bike with 3000km on the engine. It’s mint condition. Pretty sure nothing will be wrong with it but I’m not experienced in purchasing bikes— this is my first, so was just wondering of what I should look for and be concerned about?

That was my wife’s first bike. She loved it. Super easy to ride, lots of torque, very forgiving on gear selection. They are also simple and very dependable.

if you are looking at an 18 year old bike, suggest having a safety inspection first. Fork seals, belt condition, tires and oil leaks are all age related issues that can be cost items regardless of mileage. That is a carbed bike, so make sure it starts easily when cold then maintains idle. Carb service is necessary every few seasons when regular gas is used.

S40 bikes will normally have a blue or brown tinge to the front pipe, and often make a distinctive gunshot backfire when shutting down. These are normal.

Keep a grease pencil with you to scribble mileage on the speedo glass, there is no gas gauge, low fuel indicator or trip counter.

Great choice, have fun.

That was my wife’s first bike. She loved it. Super easy to ride, lots of torque, very forgiving on gear selection. They are also simple and very dependable.

if you are looking at an 18 year old bike, suggest having a safety inspection first. Fork seals, belt condition, tires and oil leaks are all age related issues that can be cost items regardless of mileage. That is a carbed bike, so make sure it starts easily when cold then maintains idle. Carb service is necessary every few seasons when regular gas is used.

S40 bikes will normally have a blue or brown tinge to the front pipe, and often make a distinctive gunshot backfire when shutting down. These are normal.

Keep a grease pencil with you to scribble mileage on the speedo glass, there is no gas gauge, low fuel indicator or trip counter.

Great choice, have fun.
Way too late she is gone had her head way up her ass. Got mad when people recommended a riding course or a reasonable helmet. Then went nuts that Daytona had a bad website.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

I can see her point, some strong personality here, most hold back with the threat of getting the boot.

But reading between the lines its ******** when the people can’t control there crap and only give advice instead of always giving an opinion

I can see her point, some strong personality here, most hold back with the threat of getting the boot.

But reading between the lines its ******** when the people can’t control there crap and only give advice instead of always giving an opinion
It's easy.If you can't answer a question.Move on to a question that you can answer.

It's easy.If you can't answer a question.Move on to a question that you can answer.
its one thing to ask a question, another to insult every member and mock the people giving you potentially life saving advice

its one thing to ask a question, another to insult every member and mock the people giving you potentially life saving advice
I just read back through the thread, seems you’re the only one she called out by name.

What you do try to PM her with some dirty ****?

Why would she call you disgusting

Back
Top Bottom