Buying first bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying first bike

L

Lc86

Hey guys,

New to the forum. 34 year old woman. I’m 90% sure I’ll be buying my very first bike tomorrow and was wondering of any helpful tips of things to look for on the bike when I go take a look at it tomorrow? I know I need to check to see if the vin matches, leaks, etc etc the bike looks like it’s literally STOCK. It’s a 2002 Suzuki savage s40 650cc. Really beautiful little bike with 3000km on the engine. It’s mint condition. Pretty sure nothing will be wrong with it but I’m not experienced in purchasing bikes— this is my first, so was just wondering of what I should look for and be concerned about?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Tires
Chain
Sprockets
Scratch scraps dents
Seat rips
Lights working
Engine runs as should, not making weird noises

Are you able to ride it? A lot of major mechanical issues can only be discovered on a test ride, clutch, suspension, alignment/tracking issues, etc. These are all potentially high $$ fixes and can still be problems despite the bike being in excellent condition, cosmetically. Is there documentation of when the engine was swapped and at what mileage?

Are you able to ride it? A lot of major mechanical issues can only be discovered on a test ride, clutch, suspension, alignment/tracking issues, etc. These are all potentially high $$ fixes and can still be problems despite the bike being in excellent condition, cosmetically. Is there documentation of when the engine was swapped and at what mileage?

Probably could if I wanted to but don’t think it will be necessary to be honest(I also didn’t get my m1 yet so wouldn’t be able to but I’ll probably ask him to put it in gear and listen to what happens) owner seems honest— says it’s in perfect shape all around mechanically. Says it’s road ready, new tiers, new battery, runs perfect. The engine is original. The bike is stock.

A bike that old and low k’s i would be looking in the gas tank for rust

And making sure the carbs aren’t varnished
Up

If carbs need cleaned, will the bike still start up cold or nah?

Old gas in the carbs will usually harden and stick valves and block jets

So what are some tell tail signs that there’s an issue with a seized carburetor? Seems like a fairly simple device to rebuild if there is a problem— I have a 05 LJ and feel iv done a lot more complicated jobs lol

So what are some tell tail signs that there’s an issue with a seized carburetor? Seems like a fairly simple device to rebuild if there is a problem— I have a 05 LJ and feel iv done a lot more complicated jobs lol

Starting issue, if it will even start, run like crap stink from running rich run hot if running lean

just read the OP, 3k on an old bike just means it was sitting a lot, imo you should get a fuel injected bike with some more miles
for your first bike, probably fewer issues

Starting issue, if it will even start, run like crap stink from running rich run hot if running lean

Ahhh I see. Good to know. Have had many air/fuel mixture issues with my wrangler before so I’ll keep an eye out for tell tail signs of rich or lean running condition. Owner seems very honest though— he would mention something like that I’m sure. The price reflects the bikes worth too. He lowered it a bit for me but it’s been stored indoors and only has 3300km on it. Everything is new looking and stock. Gorgeous bike and beautiful deal on it.

Super excited and can’t wait to post a picture of it if all goes as expected for tomorrow!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Will definitely need tires even if good tread
If it was me and had limited knowledge about bikes, i would want someone that knows the the ends and outs of a bikes to go over the bike before i passed cash

Will definitely need tires even if good tread
If it was me and had limited knowledge about bikes, i would want someone that knows the the ends and outs of a bikes to go over the bike before i passed cash

Iv done a lot of studying for months now. There’s no flat spots on the tires it’s raised in the air.

Iv done a lot of studying for months now. There’s no flat spots on the tires it’s raised in the air.

according to experts motorcycle tires older than 5 years are no bueno, hard rubber no good

Back
Top Bottom