Buying a bike w/o safety inspection | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike w/o safety inspection

I have bought three used bikes so far, all without safety. Safety costs 120$. Two of them didn't need anything and other one needed front tire to pass safety. Since the seller says price is negotiable, you can ask him to adjust price. It's more of a hassle and waste of time to get safety done. Not many places do motorcycle safety (at least here in west) and most will ask you to drop bike and pick it up later, which is just inconvenient.
I think that is the reason most used bikes are sold without safety.

If tires are in good shape, and you like the bike, I wouldn't bother about it. You can still register and ride the bike with temp sticker and have 10 days to get safety done. Btw temp stickers don't have an expiry date printed on them ;)

I have bought three used bikes so far, all without safety. Safety costs 120$. Two of them didn't need anything and other one needed front tire to pass safety. Since the seller says price is negotiable, you can ask him to adjust price. It's more of a hassle and waste of time to get safety done. Not many places do motorcycle safety (at least here in west) and most will ask you to drop bike and pick it up later, which is just inconvenient.
I think that is the reason most used bikes are sold without safety.

If tires are in good shape, and you like the bike, I wouldn't bother about it. You can still register and ride the bike with temp sticker and have 10 days to get safety done. Btw temp stickers don't have an expiry date printed on them ;)

That's really high for a safety. Always paid $60-$80!

What’s the plan for

if you go ahead with this make sure to get the vin number ahead of time so you can go get the used vehicle package, cause pretty sure he’s not doing that for you from the US. And you’ll want that in hand when you go to see it.

has he already signed the ownership transfer portion and left with his family? If not, not easy to coordinate from US.

good chance you’ll be buying new tires if it’s been sitting that long.

something I’ve wondered but can’t answer, how does it work to transfer the ownership to yourself when you don’t have an insurance policy on it, cause well, you’re not licenced yet so can’t get one?
Seems like there's a lot you don't know, but still hand out advice, with authority.

LOL

That's really high for a safety. Always paid $60-$80!
Could be, but not many places do safety where I live in Milton, the closest place is Teams Honda which charges 120$.

MT93.

Like I said, I can go with you to look at it and help with logistics of buying and help sniff out any scams they may be trying to pull on you

That makes sense seeing as its a Honda dealer. Premium prices! Typically go to independents for it
Safety inspection is up quite a bit in the last few years. I usually charge 300 more certified when selling to cover anything I may have missed and for my time.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Seems like there's a lot you don't know, but still hand out advice, with authority.

LOL
Authority? No, not when I’m upfront about things I don’t know.

tell me, do you disagree with anything I suggested?

glad you’re amused at least.

Normally, if you've got *some* experience with motorcycles, you should be able to check the bike yourself and determine if it will pass an MTO safety check.

The checklist is published here, if you want to see what the mechanic is looking for:

However, since this is your first bike, you probably want someone with more experience coming with you to check it out.

Whatever you do, don't take your bike in to get safetied at a shop that sells motorcycle tires. They'll fail you on the safety and tell you you need to buy new tires. From them.
LOL!! This happened to a friend of mine. Sold the bike safetied thinking it wouldn't need anything and he had to put two new tires on it or the shop wouldn't pass it.

My local guy was a former racer but now owns an auto repair shop here in Streetsville so he is still good for safety inspections of both bikes and other vehicles.

Interestingly he delves into structural issues like cracks in the frame.

He damn well better notice cracks in frames if he's certifying a vehicle

OP, if you go forward, at 4yrs old your 'probably' looking at tires, probably battery, maybe a couple small things. I'd be looking for 6-800 discount to cover a safety, tires, battery , time spent. But that's just me.
There are about a hundred options on used 250 and 300ccbikes , I wouldn't be in any great haste

As a new rider with zero mechanical experience why would you want to buy a 12 year old bike 6,000 km bike that has not been riden in 4 years, is not safetied and has been on AT for > 6 weeks? The bike has 6,000 km on it over 7 or 8 years meaning about 800 km a year. With this type of low mileage a season would PO's winterize it correctly, change oil, brake fluid etc......

Assuming the deal is even legitimate, how do you get it to your home, then to a dealer to be safetied. All of this will cost you money and time. Sounds like a recipe for extra cost and a bad outcome. As others have said just move on as there will be plenty of bikes available over the next couple of months.

As others have said, if the seller isn't willing to certify then move along. Its worth a few extra bucks for the peace of mind.
As for shops that try to upsell you on tires, there are service limits specified by the province, and no ozone cracking in the tread area or sidewalls.
These are things you can check yourself before agreeing to purchase.

Taking a look at the AD, Those tires should be able to certify if there are no cracks in the sidewalls. Yes, they may be old and hard as hockey pucks, butt tread thickness looks great, Battery seems to be OK.

Would need very little to certify if anything.

Taking a look at the AD, Those tires should be able to certify if there are no cracks in the sidewalls. Yes, they may be old and hard as hockey pucks, butt tread thickness looks great, Battery seems to be OK.

Would need very little to certify if anything.

That's *if* the bike looks anything like in the ad.

A lot of ads have pictures taken by the previous owner... or even the owner before that... taken when the bike was brand new...

I've been to see bikes that look *nothing* like what was advertised on the ad.

For a new rider looking for a used bike...
Keep in mind a safety inspection is just that.
It's no guarantee that your purchase runs well or is a good deal.

@Hack, bingo! a safety is no guarantee the bike runs well at all. I believe it is supposed to be running for the sake of a test drive? but there is running and "running well"

Back
Top Bottom