Buying a bike w/o safety inspection | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike w/o safety inspection

It has to run well enough for the inspecting mechanic to ride it (30kmh ?) and test the brakes.

haha... I've taken bikes to be certified at several mechanics. I don't remember one of them ever even starting the bike, other than turning the key to "on" to see if the lights work.

haha... I've taken bikes to be certified at several mechanics. I don't remember one of them ever even starting the bike, other than turning the key to "on" to see if the lights work.
Then they aren't doing their job. No excuse for a slipshod safety.

You don't get a safety cert for your own piece of mind. You do it to get the vehicle transferred. It's a government hoop to jump through. Seller knows this, buyer knows this, mechanic knows this... You get that piece of paper any way you can, as quick and as cheap as possible.

Proper mechanical inspection has nothing to do with the MTO Safety Certification.

You don't get a safety cert for your own piece of mind. You do it to get the vehicle transferred. It's a government hoop to jump through. Seller knows this, buyer knows this, mechanic knows this... You get that piece of paper any way you can, as quick and as cheap as possible.

Proper mechanical inspection has nothing to do with the MTO Safety Certification.
I beg to differ - its in all parties' best interest to insure the machine passes at least the minimum safety standards dictated by the province. There is possibly someone's life at stake. That's why the law is in place. If the inspecting mechanic doesn't do the job properly they can be held liable. I've seen bikes with dirty certs - loose steering head bearings, worn out chains and sprockets, missing or damaged lights - not everyone out there is as knowledgeable as you about what they are getting. How else can the purchaser be protected ? I know of one shop that has had their ticket pulled twice for dirty safeties - I wouldn't take anything to them because I don't trust them.

I beg to differ - its in all parties' best interest to insure the machine passes at least the minimum safety standards dictated by the province. There is possibly someone's life at stake. That's why the law is in place. If the inspecting mechanic doesn't do the job properly they can be held liable. I've seen bikes with dirty certs - loose steering head bearings, worn out chains and sprockets, missing or damaged lights - not everyone out there is as knowledgeable as you about what they are getting. How else can the purchaser be protected ? I know of one shop that has had their ticket pulled twice for dirty safeties - I wouldn't take anything to them because I don't trust them.

Nobody, including first time buyers, should rely on the MTO cert as the final arbiter on whether a bike is actually mechanically sound or not. The checklist is way too superficial.

The MTO safety certification is like the eye exam you take at Service Ontario when you get your driver's license. The test will flag glaring problems, but is it a replacement for going to a proper optometrist? No.

Nobody, including first time buyers, should rely on the MTO cert as the final arbiter on whether a bike is actually mechanically sound or not. The checklist is way too superficial.

The MTO safety certification is like the eye exam you take at Service Ontario when you get your driver's license. The test will flag glaring problems, but is it a replacement for going to a proper optometrist? No.
No argument, but there must be a MINIMUM standard reached. if you can't even get through that one, what's the point ?

About 5yrs ago I had an RD350 2stroke in for a safety check, young mechanic was completely gaga he was going to get to test ride it. He looked like he enjoyed nothing , nothing ,wham theres the power band.
After sitting 40yrs in a shed it needed fork seals and tires were " recommended". And it needed a battery to start.

not all safety checks are equal

No argument, but there must be a MINIMUM standard reached. if you can't even get through that one, what's the point ?

The point is that the minimum standard is a very low bar to begin with.

The contention here is whether taking a motorcycle to 30 km/h and testing the brakes will yield any appreciable difference to just pushing the bike and seeing if the bike will stop adequately when you pull/step on the levers/pedal.

Apparently enough mechanics have done enough safety certs to be able to determine whether brakes are good enough without having to start the bike. I'm sure if the bike is iffy on the push-brake test, then the mechanic will then have to start the bike and test it properly at speed. But it's probably failed the safety cert at that point...

Reactions: TK4
Had a safety done once on a bike I rebuilt and they noticed I was missing the clip on the chain masterlink. $42 well spent.

agreed, first time buyer should take an experienced rider or trustworthy tech to see what shape its actually in, safety dont mean much besides government hurdle

Somewhat unrelated and a possible thread hi-jack, but...

A few days ago I took a 2016 Honda CRV with 26000km on it to a Canadian Tire in Vancouver for an "inspection".
I was wanting to register the car in BC and an "inspection" is required before they'll register/plate/insure in BC.
I watched the whole process.
Mechanic drove it into the shop.
From inside the car activated the signal lights/hazards. Didn't get out to look at the lights.
Put the car on the hoist.
Lifted it.
Using a hand held shop light "inspected" all four corners(wheels).
I imagine he could see the brakes either from the back side or through the spaces of the tire rims...
Not one bolt was loosed... the hood opened or the wipers tried.
Lowered the car and took it off the hoist.

This thorough inspection... $178.99

To add... When I picked up my brand new 2016 FJR the dealer had neglected to fasten the front side reflectors... So technically I wonder if it would have passed a safety inspection ?

The last 2 sport bikes I had safetied (relatively newer models) I went to two different mechanics and brought them out to see the bike, told them the lights work and the brake pads are good, told them they wouldn't hear from me again and I left about 5 mins later with my $120 piece of paper. Mind you I am mechanically inclined and do all of my own maintenance on my vehicles.

forgot to add I once knew a mechanic who would cert a vehicle for me, sight unseen for 100$ cash

How much does Ted at Rosey Toes (is he still around??) charge for an "inspection " and safety? I watched him do one many years ago while I was waiting for tires to be changed and it was a very brief and cursorie review that took all of 3 minutes.

How much does Ted at Rosey Toes (is he still around??) charge for an "inspection " and safety? I watched him do one many years ago while I was waiting for tires to be changed and it was a very brief and cursorie review that took all of 3 minutes.
slipped him $100 for my Grom for on site inspection.

Back
Top Bottom