Buying a bike w/o safety inspection | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike w/o safety inspection

MT93

Is it risky buying a used bike without having it been safetied from the seller?

Like lets say you check the bike out and looks great, is in working order, very low milage, and the seller is also willing to drop the price because it has no safety certificate, is it still a wise purchase especially for a first bike?

Side note: I wouldn't even be able to get it safetied myself since I'm not yet licensed. I'd have to wait until Spring after getting the M2 or have someone do it for me.

Thoughts?

for a starter bike? i wouldn't worry about getting one so soon, plenty of deals to be had at the beginning of the season.

also depends on the bike, some brands have very expensive part prices and labour costs. I assume your not super handy or you wouldn't be asking us.

If you really want to buy a bike I can go with you for first inspection if you wish.
Buy me some Guinness.

for a starter bike? i wouldn't worry about getting one so soon, plenty of deals to be had at the beginning of the season.
I was just looking for some deals in the off season since im bound to find some good prices.

So im guessing you dont think its a good idea then?

Is it risky buying a used bike without having it been safetied from the seller?

Like lets say you check the bike out and looks great, is in working order, very low milage, and the seller is also willing to drop the price because it has no safety certificate, is it still a wise purchase especially for a first bike?

Normally, if you've got *some* experience with motorcycles, you should be able to check the bike yourself and determine if it will pass an MTO safety check.

The checklist is published here, if you want to see what the mechanic is looking for:

However, since this is your first bike, you probably want someone with more experience coming with you to check it out.

Whatever you do, don't take your bike in to get safetied at a shop that sells motorcycle tires. They'll fail you on the safety and tell you you need to buy new tires. From them.

also depends on the bike, some brands have very expensive part prices and labour costs. I assume your not super handy or you wouldn't be asking us.
Just a Ninja 250. The seller worked on the bike to get it ready to sell so I wouldn't need to do anything myself right away. Think it just needs an oil change at the most

Normally, if you've got *some* experience with motorcycles, you should be able to check the bike yourself and determine if it will pass an MTO safety check.

The checklist is published here, if you want to see what the mechanic is looking for:

However, since this is your first bike, you probably want someone with more experience coming with you to check it out.

Whatever you do, don't take your bike in to get safetied at a shop that sells motorcycle tires. They'll fail you on the safety and tell you you need to buy new tires. From them.
Ya I have zero experience as this is my first step into the motorcycle world to be honest.

I'm gonna check out that list actually and use it as a reference for sure and I'll probably bring someone with me when I check out the bike. Otherwise, I'm thinking of just waiting to get a bike from someone who has the safety already done just to avoid that hassle.

i'd spring for a ninja 300 if i were you, they started in 2014 iirc. easy to resell when you`re done with it.

if you really want a safety then negotiate it into the buying price. i like to get sellers to admit 'needs nothing to pass' so then i can offer the $100 to cover the cost of safety on their time, then they have no real reason to say no. unless they are being untruthful in which case it's better to walk.

i'd spring for a ninja 300 if i were you, they started in 2014 iirc. easy to resell when you`re done with it.

if you really want a safety then negotiate it into the buying price. i like to get sellers to admit 'needs nothing to pass' so then i can offer the $100 to cover the cost of safety on their time, then they have no real reason to say no. unless they are being untruthful in which case it's better to walk.
A 300 huh? I was looking at them as well but you'd be surprised how much the price just shoots up compared to the 250 even when used. Better worth the investment but insurance could potentially be higher too.

I would negotiate it into the price but theres only one issue...the seller is in Boston and the bike is with his family here in Toronto. Trying to coordinate things with him has been and I think will continue to be tricky.

A 300 huh? I was looking at them as well but you'd be surprised how much the price just shoots up compared to the 250 even when used. Better worth the investment but insurance could potentially be higher too.

I would negotiate it into the price but theres only one issue...the seller is in Boston and the bike is with his family here in Toronto. Trying to coordinate things with him has been and I think will continue to be tricky.
Run away that sounds like a classic scam.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

Scam.

Maybe a scam, maybe not a scam. But even if it isn't, sounds like more trouble dealing with the extra hoops than it's worth.

As far as the insurance jump from a 250 ninja to a 300 ninja.. probably won't be a huge deal. I remember when I was calling around getting quotes, one of the reps explained to me that it's basically a tier system as far as engine displacement goes. 0-100cc (or maybe it was 150cc, can't recall) but the important thing being that for the second tier, the limit went up to 400cc. Not sure if that's universal though.

Actually on second look, this price is too good.
But almost looks ok to me.
The price includes a lot of stuff.
Sitting for 4 years isn't an issue

Actually on second look, this price is too good.
But almost looks ok to me.
The price includes a lot of stuff.
Sitting for 4 years isn't an issue
How's is that a deal I sold one of those in 2010 for 3000

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

What’s the plan for
Oh boy, well here’s the link to the listing. You guys be the judge because it looks convincing lol.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/kawasak...m_content=ad_link&ms=motorcycles_atvs[/QUOTE]
if you go ahead with this make sure to get the vin number ahead of time so you can go get the used vehicle package, cause pretty sure he’s not doing that for you from the US. And you’ll want that in hand when you go to see it.

has he already signed the ownership transfer portion and left with his family? If not, not easy to coordinate from US.

good chance you’ll be buying new tires if it’s been sitting that long.

something I’ve wondered but can’t answer, how does it work to transfer the ownership to yourself when you don’t have an insurance policy on it, cause well, you’re not licenced yet so can’t get one?

something I’ve wondered but can’t answer, how does it work to transfer the ownership to yourself when you don’t have an insurance policy on it, cause well, you’re not licenced yet so can’t get one?

You can transfer the ownership anytime, regardless of insurance or safety certificate. There are two parts to the MTO status:

Vehicle portion is designated:
"FIT" - passed MTO safety cert
"UNFIT" - no safety cert

And the license is designated as:
"PLATED" - vehicle is insured and plated
"UNPLATED" - no plate issued

If you have a safety cert but no insurance, when you transfer the vehicle, it will be designated "FIT-UNPLATED". When you bring your insurance to the MTO, they will update the status as "FIT-PLATED".

Back
Top Bottom