Best sport touring bikes for long distance | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best sport touring bikes for long distance

We had a R1200ST (previous gen RS) and I rode an older FJR1300 (back when it was a 5-speed), the seating position is more aggressive on the ST/RS. It's a sport-tourer vs sporty-touring, if that makes any sense. The R1250 engine pulls just fine on my GS and it's 15 lbs heavier than an RS. Not sure how it compares to a current gen FJR.
My concern is if my legs would be tucked up higher then on the FJR. That would make long rides difficult for me. Being 55 does that.

If it's anything like the Hypermotard, I found the seating position to be weird. It felt like I was perched right over the front wheel. Fine for hooliganism, but for touring, it's preferable to be a bit further back within the wheelbase.

There's a long list of differences between the standard Hypermotard and the Hyperstrada, including a different seat and handlebar risers that change the riding position a little farther back, but you still have the view of nothing in front of you. I've never noticed that to be an issue while cruising, and considering that's how the chassis was developed, I'm not sure how that would be a problem, but I'm only 5'5" with a 28" inseam. Like I said, taller riders may have a problem with it. Here's the list of differences (I think I got them all):

- seat
- bar risers
- windshield
- semi-rigid removable saddle bags
- remote hydraulic preload adjustment for rear shock
- center stand
- two powerlet accessory ports
- plastic bash plate

My concern is if my legs would be tucked up higher then on the FJR. That would make long rides difficult for me. Being 55 does that.

They would be, for sure. :(

It's not the legs for me, it's my lower back that can't handle the frog-receiving-an-enema seating position any more.

:mad:

04f.gif

Likely very true.
But I do know what works for me and what doesn't.

Sorry Gene! :p

I hear the ShiftCam version is really nice. Maybe one day!

What ? I can't have an adventure on a sport touring bike? Not sure what I've been doing then.
everybody knows, if you aint got no panniers, you aint having an adventure

@shanekingsley
Not sure if you've also looked at the desmo service intervals, but on 2010-14 models its a nice bill every 24k kms
on the newer ones 2015+ every 30k I believe
If you dont ride 24/30k by 5 years, you still have to replace the timing belt, otherwise its usually part of the desmo service

Be on the lookout on used bikes, ask for dealer maintenance records and adjust price accordingly... I suspect many disgruntled ducatisti's put them on sale right around then,
for specifics dm @Wingboy

@shanekingsley
Not sure if you've also looked at the desmo service intervals, but on 2010-14 models its a nice bill every 24k kms
on the newer ones 2015+ every 30k I believe
If you dont ride 24/30k by 5 years, you still have to replace the timing belt, otherwise its usually part of the desmo service
That's why the MTS V4 wins.

Was wondering why all the PR photoshots are from the front...then I saw the large amphibian gills on the side at the dealer..
Talk about catfishing

Back
Top Bottom