Best sport touring bikes for long distance | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best sport touring bikes for long distance

It's still there. Asking $18,999. Never knew about this bike and looks really sweet.
Thats the same one, I messaged that guy before buying the superduke, I never heard back from him.

@shanekingsley
I am sure you are aware of the 2 different models of the Tracer.
Tracer 900 and Tracer 900 GT

GT comes with
-factory cruise control
-factory heated grips
-quick shifter
-factory side luggage (which cannot fit a full size helmet)
-3 different riding modes (maybe the base model also has this?)

From the top of my head the 2021 Tracer 9 GT has electronic suspension amongst other add on's.
The 2020 and before tracer GTs come with cruise control, up only quickshifter, heated grips, luggage, a windshield, and that amazing triple

The 2021 GT comes with all that, an IMU, electronic suspension, and a BI-directional quickshifter

They have also bumped the price of the 2021 GT's up accordingly.
Still cheaper than a multistrada and amazing value

They have also bumped the price of the 2021 GT's up accordingly.
$2000-$3000 more on MSRP

A 2019 Tracer 900 GT can be bought for approx. $12,000.

Not many private sellers in Ontario. More seems to be located in Quebec. In general not a very popular bike on the resell market.
I'm thinking a lot of them were keepers when purchased new.

@shanekingsley
I am sure you are aware of the 2 different models of the Tracer.
Tracer 900 and Tracer 900 GT

GT comes with
-factory cruise control
-factory heated grips
-quick shifter
-factory side luggage (which cannot fit a full size helmet)
-3 different riding modes (maybe the base model also has this?)

From the top of my head the 2021 Tracer 9 GT has electronic suspension amongst other add on's.
Thanks and yes - I would be going with the GT only for that bike.
I know it's not the best off road. But a BMW 1250rt is the best tourer. How it does off road is up to rider skill.
I'm sure it's a great bike to ride, but it felt a bit.. porky, kinda like the newer Concours. I feel like I need someting a bit more compact, but I have never sat on one, so am only going by looks and no experience.
Bandit 1250
Thanks - I'm looking for something a bit newer with more gizmo's unless it's been revamped recently.

Its not strictly a touring bike but I've done over 300k on my R1200GS and it has not let me down... yet :unsure:

I had to replace the clutch but that's been the only major expense so far. I did it myself and it took 12 hours as you basically have to split the bike in half. Not difficult, just really, really time consuming.

I have not had a problem with the final drive yet however, I believe its not a question of if but when it will fail with BMW's.

I replaced the bars with Renthals as the bend was better for the street and I had a guy from the UK called Bob the Seat re-do the seat to make it a little lower and more comfortable. That make a big difference to all day ride-ability.

If I'm doing to do a long road trip I'll put on Conti Road Attacks. They are much more civilized than the TKC's.

Its not strictly a touring bike but I've done over 300k on my R1200GS and it has not let me down... yet :unsure:

I had to replace the clutch but that's been the only major expense so far. I did it myself and it took 12 hours as you basically have to split the bike in half. Not difficult, just really, really time consuming.

I have not had a problem with the final drive yet however, I believe its not a question of if but when it will fail with BMW's.

I replaced the bars with Renthals as the bend was better for the street and I had a guy from the UK called Bob the Seat re-do the seat to make it a little lower and more comfortable. That make a big difference to all day ride-ability.

If I'm doing to do a long road trip I'll put on Conti Road Attacks. They are much more civilized than the TKC's.
Good bike but not really sporty, at least compared to other the seems interested in.

@shanekingsley This has been on sale for a while:

2016 super adventure, cruise control, heated grips and seats, semi active suspension, not sure what kind of quick shifter it comes with, maybe only 1 direction?

@shanekingsley This has been on sale for a while:

2016 super adventure, cruise control, heated grips and seats, semi active suspension, not sure what kind of quick shifter it comes with, maybe only 1 direction?

Thanks - that ad is what got me thinking about them in the first place. Seems like a good bike at a good price too.

I’ve got a versys 1000, It’s a great bike and eats up hwy in a hurry. I did have to do a couple things to get it to fit me.

The seat got shaved plus risers and some anti vibration grips. The bike at around 4500rpm seems to buzz alot in lower gears but up to hwy speed, it smooths out.

I’ve done 12hr rides and had no problems or big discomfort other then the usual.

I didn't find the SDGT very comfortable and imo the Ninja1000 is the better bike if leaning to a sportier sport-tourer.
The FJR and Connie are just too big, heavy, and ugly. For those reasons I didn't buy one.
Components and finishings on the fj09 and similar just turned me off.
S10 could be an option but imo it lacks any character.
Super Adventure S was my second choice but it wasn't quite as polished, pretty, and I hated the pannier racks being there with no bags (I mostly just use topbbox). It was more the bike for owners that didn't mind if it fell over and have some scuffs.
The Tiger 1200 should be on your list. It's comfy, has decent finishings and good options on the higher spec models plus is shaft drive which could be a bonus. It does radiate some heat to the seat (something to read reviews on as the Super Adventure does this even worse).
I still really like my Multistrada and if it got totaled I would buy another one. I've never felt as much connection to the road as I have with this bike. Maintenance no worse than any of my modern Japanese bikes and has never broken down. I do really like the electronic suspension and riding modes, both of which I never thought I'd care about. I have the 1200S and the only change I'd make/suggest is to buy the 1260 if in budget so that you get the quick shifter. If your travels take you out to my area you're welcome to take it for a ride. Of course they also make an Multistrada Enduro that may better suit if you plan on riding gravel roads.

I've had an ST1100 for 18 years and just got a Tracer GT, which I'm now fitting out for day rides up at the cottage and for 4 - 6 day trips in Ontario this season while we all wait for the border to open.

If you're looking for a bike to do 30,000 - 40,000 km a year for 5 years+ then I'd stick with the FJR. Durable, reliable, comfortable, dealers everywhere if something goes wrong, lots of accessories on the market, good FJR forums out there to walk you through all maintenance tasks, easy to work on. Can't go wrong with an FJR.

So did I buy the Tracer GT if the FJR is so great?? Planning to spend much more time riding back roads up at the cottage and wanted a much lighter bike, but one that still has the capability to tour when needed. The Tracer fit the bill for me more than the FJR.

BTW, if anyone wants a mint ST1100 with a comfy Russell Day Long seat PM me.

@ReSTored
How do you like the seat on the Tracer? From my research that seems to be 1 of the 2 biggest complaints. The the other being the windscreen.
Biggest complaint about the stock seat is that it is not comfortable, and the factory comfort seat isn't any better.

thats likely outside his budget as you're unlikely to find them used (900 because its brand new, and no one buys the 950 multi so there are none on the used market)

Also the good 950's are 2019 and on, when they added all the cool electronics on it(cruise control, quick shifter, electronic suspension etc etc)

If the Multistrada 950 is in the running, maybe also consider a Hyperstrada 939 (or even 821). It's a touring version of the Hypermotard, and the rumor is that it was killed off because it was eating into Multistrada sales.

The main downsides are the overall small size if you're a bigger rider, and lack of wind protection even with the stock windshield. Upsides are that it's a Hypermotard, and prices are low on the used market. I've been pretty impressed with mine, done full day rides and never felt beat up unless I was droning on the highway at over 130 for hours at a time holding on from the wind blast.

If the Multistrada 950 is in the running, maybe also consider a Hyperstrada 939 (or even 821). It's a touring version of the Hypermotard, and the rumor is that it was killed off because it was eating into Multistrada sales.

The main downsides are the overall small size if you're a bigger rider, and lack of wind protection even with the stock windshield. Upsides are that it's a Hypermotard, and prices are low on the used market. I've been pretty impressed with mine, done full day rides and never felt beat up unless I was droning on the highway at over 130 for hours at a time holding on from the wind blast.

If it's anything like the Hypermotard, I found the seating position to be weird. It felt like I was perched right over the front wheel. Fine for hooliganism, but for touring, it's preferable to be a bit further back within the wheelbase.

@ReSToredHow do you like the seat on the Tracer? From my research that seems to be 1 of the 2 biggest complaints. The the other being the windscreen. Biggest complaint about the stock seat is that it is not comfortable, and the factory comfort seat isn't any better.

The PO of my 2019 Tracer added $2,200 of accessories and this included a Bagster seat and Madstad 18" and 20" windshields.

So far the Madstad is good and if I want a larger one I can just buy one and use the existing Madstad brackets.

The Bagster seat is no Russell, but it is better than the OEM one that came with the bike. The Tracer seat brackets pitch you forward into the tank, very strange design. I solved this by added a spacer in the front and I removed the seat's rear rubber pads and now the seat is at least level. I'm looking into a Russell. If I go that way I can just send off the OEM seat to be modified and continue on with the Bagster for the time being.

If it's anything like the Hypermotard, I found the seating position to be weird. It felt like I was perched right over the front wheel. Fine for hooliganism, but for touring, it's preferable to be a bit further back within the wheelbase.
I put a DP windshield and comfort seat on my 09 Hyper and it made it much better for the long haul. The 12l tank was still a problem tho.

Love the looks of the 'tard though. The SP was on my shortlist of bikes to buy for the summer a few years ago while I was back in Toronto.
It's strange. On the Hyper, you do feel like you are on top of the front wheel. My 09 MTS uses the exact same chassis. It feels very different.

Back
Top Bottom