Best sport touring bikes for long distance | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best sport touring bikes for long distance

MV Augusta Turismo veloce

hard to find those MV's in canada, I saw one in ottawa hiding away but the dealer never got back to me
I also imagine its difficult to get parts or any kind of official support

hard to find those MV's in canada, I saw one in ottawa hiding away but the dealer never got back to me
No it’s easy ...Sturgess cycle . i have owned multiple MV with no problem

No it’s easy ...Sturgess cycle . i have owned multiple MV with no problem
ahh they never have them any models on hand though, have to be ordered one at a time I bet

Sorry super, not baller-ific like you

I would like something that I can play in the slower technical roads very well. So maybe the FJR isn't the best
It may surprise you. As long as it's moving, it's ok.
If you're in the neighbourhood, take mine for a boot. It's not for sale, but you're welcome to check it out, and hear my $.02.

1st gen s1000XR. it's more sporty then my gen...which is enough for me.

fully loaded, fits your budget.

ahh they never have them any models on hand though, have to be ordered one at a time I bet

Sorry super, not baller-ific like you

there can only be one of me....a superveloce divided against itself cannot stand

My old boss took his FJR1300 up the Dempster to Nunavit, has done the James Bay ride a couple of times. Tires and regular maintenance is all.

Thought you were selling yours?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
not yet, i need my side hustles to return. but she will sit more then i ride her to keep the mileage down.

plus mine would be far over his budget.

Thanks - that makes sense too and didn't rally think about that too much. I actually like the SuperDuke GT better for looks and compactness, but that bike does freak me out a little bit.
the KTM is matched perfectly to your right wrist, there are never any surprises, on the mt09 the fueling was twitchy(I always rode in 'A' mode)
so when you get on the gas on a slow tight mid corner, that first initial bit of gas might be a bit unnerving

Its part of what made that yamaha triple so exciting and popular

The superduke matches your temperament perfectly, it wont launch you into outerspace unless you want it to.
I also like that theres no waiting with the duke, you dont have to be above or below certain rpms, you dont have to be in the right gear,
you dont have to wait for the power like an inline 4

Its orange hulk, it feels angry, it sounds angry, and it def goes angry

I like the Tracer 900 or Tracer 9 for 2021.
The 2021 model has some additional bells and whistles vs the previous years BUT it is more pricey and I actually prefer the esthetics of the Pre-2021 models.

That ideally is also my next bike unless I get convinced otherwise.
After reading through some groups and forums, it is a well made bike that checks off all the boxes.

We've ridden together a couple of times; I think I have a handle on your style. Some of the bikes on your list I have an opinion on, some I don't. One question though; what's your budget? There's a big price differential between some of them...

Ducati Multistrada
- Power is great, can be street-biased if set up that way, can be set up for mixed surfaces.
- Expensive to fix, can be expensive to buy if new
- Maintenance is better than it used to be, but you should factor in how close you live to your closest dealer

KTM Super Adventure
- Amazing bike
- Like the multi, how far away do you live from your closest KTM dealer?
- I have heard that some KTMs can be difficult to work on

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
- Love this triple. Lots of power, punches way above its' weight
- lighter bike
- Proven chassis and engine
- Cheaper to buy
- Reliable
- Not great weather protection
- Japanese stuff is easier to find parts for, generally

KTM Superduke GT
- seen the videos. Gawd; this bike makes my heart flutter a bit. Seems more like a muscle bike in sheep's clothing

Kawasaki Versys 1000
- No opinion

Aprilia Caponord
- no opinion

Yamaha FJR 1300
- Proven, reliable as a stone hammer
- most "touring" platform
- weather protection is great
- goes like stink
- heavier bike, not exactly nimble but you'd likely get used to it
- lots of plastic to replace if it goes down

If it was my decision and I had to get rid of my touring bike, I'd go with the Tracer 900 GT without passing Go. No consideration required.

The ones on your list shane are largely on the sport side of adventure touring, have you looked at the ninja 1000? The new one is around around that budget, and has all the electronic goodies.
I really like the Ninja 1000, but ignored it because it looks like it's a bit less upright than I wanted. Maybe I have to sit on one to see.
I recall talking to you about the Africa Twin, have you had a chance to check/test ride one? I thought that bike ticked off a lot of boxes for you at the time, maybe that's changed. Though I understand that it may not be sporty enough
Haven't had the chance to sit on one yet and yeah, I am looking for something a little more sporty.
MV Agusta Turismo veloce,..if this picture doesn’t get your pee pee fluffy no bike will
Really like that look, but might be a bit out of my price range.

It's still there. Asking $18,999. Never knew about this bike and looks really sweet.

1st gen s1000XR. it's more sporty then my gen...which is enough for me.

fully loaded, fits your budget.
Nice bike - thanks!

Forgot to mention two things. ideally 300km fuel range and I'll be buying in the late summer/early fall. Just finished paying off a bunch of expenses and time to start saving.

We've ridden together a couple of times; I think I have a handle on your style. Some of the bikes on your list I have an opinion on, some I don't. One question though; what's your budget? There's a big price differential between some of them...

Ducati Multistrada
- Power is great, can be street-biased if set up that way, can be set up for mixed surfaces.
- Expensive to fix, can be expensive to buy if new
- Maintenance is better than it used to be, but you should factor in how close you live to your closest dealer

KTM Super Adventure
- Amazing bike
- Like the multi, how far away do you live from your closest KTM dealer?
- I have heard that some KTMs can be difficult to work on

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
- Love this triple. Lots of power, punches way above its' weight
- lighter bike
- Proven chassis and engine
- Cheaper to buy
- Reliable
- Not great weather protection
- Japanese stuff is easier to find parts for, generally

KTM Superduke GT
- seen the videos. Gawd; this bike makes my heart flutter a bit. Seems more like a muscle bike in sheep's clothing

Kawasaki Versys 1000
- No opinion

Aprilia Caponord
- no opinion

Yamaha FJR 1300
- Proven, reliable as a stone hammer
- most "touring" platform
- weather protection is great
- goes like stink
- heavier bike, not exactly nimble but you'd likely get used to it
- lots of plastic to replace if it goes down

If it was my decision and I had to get rid of my touring bike, I'd go with the Tracer 900 GT without passing Go. No consideration required.
Thanks for the detailed info.
Around $15k is what I'm hoping for. So some of these bikes would be only bought used, but bikes like the Versys or Tracer I can probably buy new or barely used.

The Niken has the same motor as the Tracer 900? I remember you saying you really liked that engine.

@shanekingsley
I am sure you are aware of the 2 different models of the Tracer.
Tracer 900 and Tracer 900 GT

GT comes with
-factory cruise control
-factory heated grips
-quick shifter
-factory side luggage (which cannot fit a full size helmet)
-3 different riding modes (maybe the base model also has this?)

From the top of my head the 2021 Tracer 9 GT has electronic suspension amongst other add on's.

Thanks for the detailed info.
Around $15k is what I'm hoping for. So some of these bikes would be only bought used, but bikes like the Versys or Tracer I can probably buy new or barely used.

The Niken has the same motor as the Tracer 900? I remember you saying you really liked that engine.
Same.

which is the same triple in the fz09s a few of us here have owned.

Back
Top Bottom