Best sport touring bikes for long distance | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best sport touring bikes for long distance

The highly regarded Clinton Smout raved about it when he had the chance to do a demo day.

I'm definitely able to pull that off. Is the back end the same as the Tracer GT or does it have more heft/support for a 3pc luggage and passenger?
The Tracer weight limit is about 400 lb and you hit that pretty quickly with a rider, a passenger and gear in 2 saddlebags and a top box.

I just got a 2019 Tracer GT and it came with the OEM seat and a Bagster as well. My ST1100 had a Russell Day Long. Night and day between the RDL and the Bagster. I'm looking into other seat options and may spring for a RDL for the Tracer. You find the stock rider and passenger seats to be a literal PITA after an hour or so. I won't reconsider the Tracer to be a 2 up touring bike, but just my opinion.

The Niken is the new Burgman
No, the niken is just a hilarious tricycle. The Burgman is the answer to every question.

Went to check out the 1200 Multistrada's and was really turned off by the look of the front end when seeing it in person. I get that it's a sweet bike to ride and you don't look at the bike while riding it, but with so many beautiful bikes made by Ducati, I'm surprised such a popular model like this one doesn't look better. Unless it's just me and everyone else thinks they look great.

No, the niken is just a hilarious tricycle. The Burgman is the answer to every question.
I thought a trials bike was the answer to every bike suggestion. :oops:

Went to check out the 1200 Multistrada's and was really turned off by the look of the front end when seeing it in person. I get that it's a sweet bike to ride and you don't look at the bike while riding it, but with so many beautiful bikes made by Ducati, I'm surprised such a popular model like this one doesn't look better. Unless it's just me and everyone else thinks they look great.
You need to be able to walk away, turn around, look at the bike, wink and say ‘wow you’re a sexy b$&@h....and you’re all mine’

I had that with the WRX with that sexy red...a grey Volt just doesn’t get the heart rate pumping in the same way.

You need to be able to walk away, turn around, look at the bike, wink and say ‘wow you’re a sexy b$&@h....and you’re all mine’

I had that with the WRX with that sexy red...a grey Volt just doesn’t get the heart rate pumping in the same way.
I hear you. I'm fine with the middle and back end of the bike, but the front end is just very bird like. It's probably really good for pushing the wind away from the rider.
1619875878138.png

I hear you. I'm fine with the middle and back end of the bike, but the front end is just very bird like. It's probably really good for pushing the wind away from the rider.
View attachment 48462

The multi is the best looking ADV bike out there
Does it look like a birds beak? So does the strom 1000
I imagine the adv bikes are designed for aerodynamics and wind protection more than the looks.

At least it doesnt look like forest whitaker aka 1250GS

A Multistrada can look worse. Really!
DECtBUi.jpg

Last edited:
You're not allowed to own a Vstrom and say a Multistrada looks ugly ;)
I agree the Multi is the best looking ADV but it's always going to be personal taste. Can try white that doesn't stand out as much if that helps. All ADV's are function first, looks second. KTM has the vag headlight, BMW issue already mentioned for both the GS and XR, Vstrom and almost everything else is beaky. I can't stand the Pre 2014 Multi's ugly black big beak and the older 1100 versions (but all actually look quite good in the black colour combo).

A Multistrada can look worse. Really!
DECtBUi.jpg
Oh, man. I've really learned to love the 999, so want to come back on this one too, just to fully redeem Terblanche. But I can't. It's just so goofy looking, like a cyclops mixed with Robbie the Robot. Lovably goofy, at least.

It's when you see an ADV bike without a beak that you realise why they mostly have beaks. KTM has tried, but it's gotten steadily worse since the 990 Dakar specials. When bikes are that tall up front, you need something to break up that slab face.

The T7 has hung onto the Dakar style to look pretty good, but to my eye, the only truly attractive ADV bike is the Africa Twin. And even then, take away that gorgeous red, blue and white paint job and it gets way less attractive...

Aside from the bird like front end, I always thought the front wheel looks tiny on the Multis. It's 17", but to my eye the bike almost looks scooterish at the front. It's all about proportions, I guess.

You're not allowed to own a Vstrom and say a Multistrada looks ugly ;)
Even worse - I used to own a 1st gen KLR with ammo cans. The VStrom and KLR are pretty good bikes for not getting stolen, which was a big reason for owning them originally - especially when I lived in condo's. Now I definitely want something better. And I also agree that the white ones seem a little less noticeable in the front end, which is what I would do.
Aside from the bird like front end, I always thought the front wheel looks tiny on the Multis. It's 17", but to my eye the bike almost looks scooterish at the front. It's all about proportions, I guess.
After riding a 19" front wheel for the last 13 years and a 21" front before that, these 17" wheels feel small to me too, but I guess if it handles like a dream then that's what I care most about.

Oh, man. I've really learned to love the 999, so want to come back on this one too, just to fully redeem Terblanche. But I can't. It's just so goofy looking, like a cyclops mixed with Robbie the Robot. Lovably goofy, at least.

It's when you see an ADV bike without a beak that you realise why they mostly have beaks. KTM has tried, but it's gotten steadily worse since the 990 Dakar specials. When bikes are that tall up front, you need something to break up that slab face.

The T7 has hung onto the Dakar style to look pretty good, but to my eye, the only truly attractive ADV bike is the Africa Twin. And even then, take away that gorgeous red, blue and white paint job and it gets way less attractive...
I couldn’t resist. Shane stop fighting it.4CA32168-4D1E-410B-B3B8-1AAEC5FB66F3.jpeg

Remember Bippy doing the pedalling motion passing the Hardley Ableson's down at the dragon?
Would pay to see you do that on the Niken... hehehe...

Back
Top Bottom