Best sport touring bikes for long distance | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best sport touring bikes for long distance

You're all wrong.
2019-Yamaha-Niken-GT-Review-three-wheel-motorcycle-14.jpg

fork seal replacement looks pricey

Looks like a pain to change tires on.

fork seal replacement looks pricey
There's only 2 fork seals. The leading fork tube is only a stanchion for support. The rear fork, on one on each side, is a conventional usd fork. There are 3 additional bearings in the front assembly. Appx 1 extra hour of service if you inspect / replace on schedule. Really not a big deal.

Of course I tease. Not everyone is cool enough to pull this bike off.

Looks like a pain to change tires on.
One nut for each wheel; like a single sided swing arm. Should be easy peasy, but tire selection is admittedly very small because they're maxi-scooter sized; 15"....

Anyway, didn't want to hijack. I still think the tracer gt is the most rational choice based on criteria. I think I was asked on page 2 what I thought of the Tammi tripppple, and I love it. I've ridden all kinds of engines, and this is a gem. Amazing all around. Flexible, smooth, responsive, grunty... it's a true joy that doesn't need a turbo.

The bike is at the cottage, so I can check when I go up next. However, I can report no issues with a 150 lb firstborn and a case on the back. I would not hesitate to tour like that.

If Shane ends of getting a Nikken I’ll eat my hat.
I dunno, last time I checked they were being very heavily discounted, especially in Quebec where I got my loaded GT for $13ish k. And they really are a great touring platform.

If, you know, you can get around the obvious.

I dunno, last time I checked they were being very heavily discounted, especially in Quebec where I got my loaded GT for $13ish k. And they really are a great touring platform.

#MotorcyclesAreStupid

I still think the tracer gt is the most rational choice based on criteria. I think I was asked on page 2 what I thought of the Tammi tripppple, and I love it. I've ridden all kinds of engines, and this is a gem. Amazing all around. Flexible, smooth, responsive, grunty... it's a true joy that doesn't need a turbo.
^this

Rode it back to back with the duke, still hard to believe tbh, that much shove so readily available everywhere in the rev range...and no desmo!

I think the bike is great, pretty sure I said as much when it was first posted to the forums (I think i posted a review or two). And of course being a former owner of that motor, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

@shanekingsley , I know that your policy is that you don't ride other people's bikes, but personally, you know that you can ride anything I own, any time. Well, except for the turbo, because, well, you were there...

Seriously, though, the Niken is yours for a spin. The Tracer will be lighter, but you can do that mental math easily to infer what it would be like, but the motor is the same.

Bikes are a big purchase, and when you're in your situation (super experienced, you know exactly what you want and what you don't) there's not much room to get it wrong. You're about to drop coin on something that is core to your personality (like it is for many of us), so make sure you get it right. If you can test ride, do it (safely).

Open offer then; come and take my Niken for a week end. Pay for the oil and filter, cause it'll need an oil change when you bring it back, I'm sure lol.

You're going to say no, I'm going to insist, you're going to redact your policy for specific instances.... so just come and get it already. Hell, bud, bring your lady and ride with her, fully loaded. My cottage could be a base camp for a weekend in the Kawarthas; I'm in Toronto for the forseeable future, so it'd be all yours.

Stop agonizing and start deciding!!

(also I still owe you for your support for the whole ... turbo incident ...)

Last edited:
I think the bike is great, pretty sure I said as much when it was first posted to the forums (I think i posted a review or two). And of course being a former owner of that motor, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.
I know, I'm just taking the piss. Riding a bike like that requires a sense of humour.. :)

@shanekingsley , I know that your policy is that you don't ride other people's bikes, but personally, you know that you can ride anything I own, any time. Well, except for the turbo, because, well, you were there...

Seriously, though, the Niken is yours for a spin. The Tracer will be lighter, but you can do that mental math easily to infer what it would be like, but the motor is the same.

Bikes are a big purchase, and when you're in your situation (super experienced, you know exactly what you want and what you don't) there's not much room to get it wrong. You're about to drop coin on something that is core to your personality (like it is for many of us), so make sure you get it right. If you can test ride, do it (safely).

Open offer then; come and take my Niken for a week end. Pay for the oil and filter, cause it'll need an oil change when you bring it back, I'm sure lol.

You're going to say no, I'm going to insist, you're going to redact your policy for specific instances.... so just come and get it already. Hell, bud, bring your lady and ride with her, fully loaded. My cottage could be a base camp for a weekend in the Kawarthas; I'm in Toronto for the forseeable future, so it'd be all yours.

Stop agonizing and start deciding!!

(also I still owe you for your support for the whole ... turbo incident ...)
Thanks bud, much appreciated. Would definitely be interested in coming up there once covid stuff calms down a bit and trying that beast out.

I've almost made up my mind anyways and just saving up now. I think this thread is good to give some of us something to ramble about until the weather and lockdowns make it easier for us to get outside and get back to riding.

And you owe me nothing:) The number of times me or my bike has failed and others have helped me out far outweighs the help I've given others.

Thanks bud, much appreciated. Would definitely be interested in coming up there once covid stuff calms down a bit and trying that beast out.

I've almost made up my mind anyways and just saving up now. I think this thread is good to give some of us something to ramble about until the weather and lockdowns make it easier for us to get outside and get back to riding.

And you owe me nothing:) The number of times me or my bike has failed and others have helped me out far outweighs the help I've given others.
You can take my superduke for a spin as well, same engine, similar electronics, just less wind protection

Back
Top Bottom