Been stuck in the same spot at 404/401 for 30 mins | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Been stuck in the same spot at 404/401 for 30 mins

Crazy cat lady across the road leaves her lights up and on till late March every year. Saw her in her driveway last nite very late taking selfies with her lites in the background i assume. She wears a bunch of coloured runners safety lights on her late nite walks. Lol
I have white lights strung on a blue spruce. The tree is ~30 feet tall. The lights stay up. They were a huge pain to install, they are not going up and down. Normally run them in the evening when snow is out. Snow goes away, lights turn off for the season. If they were coloured, I would whack them around new years.

Yes. Two stage snow blowers can throw snow much further. They also feed more snow into the 2nd stage which helps to compress it into a tighter stream with less blowback. A single stage with light snow that isnt deep basically throws it into the air to fall again.
Completely agree but the extra machinery requires more power so a multi HP gas engine is needed. Technically a single stage is a snow thrower and multi stage a snow blower.

Everything in life is a compromise. Ever see the multi impeller, multi stage snow blowers in Quebec ski country?

Snowbanks are a problem. What would happen if you took the wheels off a diesel powered wood chipper and backed the thing into a iced up snow bank? (Besides a lot of broken windows)

In Ellicottville NY the christmas lights , and you only ever use white ones, are code that your there for the weekend , that way people can stop in for a drink stumbling by. You turn out your lights to be left alone . Up all season long , even CDN thanksgiving if your there to party.

Completely agree but the extra machinery requires more power so a multi HP gas engine is needed. Technically a single stage is a snow thrower and multi stage a snow blower.

Everything in life is a compromise. Ever see the multi impeller, multi stage snow blowers in Quebec ski country?

Snowbanks are a problem. What would happen if you took the wheels off a diesel powered wood chipper and backed the thing into a iced up snow bank? (Besides a lot of broken windows)
My next snow removing thing will probably be a two stage. That bleeping windrow can put a real hurting on the single stages (especially if heavy/frozen and tall). Three neighbours have said I could borrow theirs but I don't want to be that guy. If it is horrible, I will borrow one and clear their driveway at the same time.

My neighbour saw me shoveling the windrow yesterday and offered me his electric (corded) snow blower. It bogged down often and I didn't want to break it, so I resorted to kicking the snow to spread it around and it put less strain the machine that way. The thing works well enough but it dies in the ice and junk the ploughs leave behind.

My wife turned ours on for Ukrainian Christmas.

That was 2 weekends ago. I know, I got my stipend of home made pirogies and cabbage rolls Saturday before last.

It's a work of art.

Snow falls. Plow comes through the main streets, then the secondary streets, then repeats until it's clear enough for circulation. Then they'll do tertiary streets.
Finally after a day or 2, they go by with these ginormous snowblowers (some kind of loader with a snowblower attachment) trucks to put the snow whether
a) on your 'lawn/property'
or if its already too high up
b) inside a dump truck rolling next to it until its full...and then another dump truck comes to continue getting loaded. The full dump truck goes to the closest snow depot where they simply dump the snow there.

Thats why most winters eventually you can't see peoples' houses and you can only see the roof :p
Also to limit the plowing they have to do, its quite common to see "tempo" garages put up for winter to avoid having to remove snow on your car and on part (or all) of your driveway. Just gotta remove the snow on top

Feeling all nostalgic now

Nobody that ever bought a snowblower felt bad about too much HP .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I keep getting poo pooed by some friends that are on me about my gas powered 'pollution machine'. Same guys that pooed on me for using a gas leaf blower, mower, and trimmer.

They say I should sell everything and use battery powered tools to save the environment.

Give me a snow blower that can blow through a 9 car driveway that's electric powered on 1-2 batteries and I'm in.

Oh man...saw one of these monsters on my FIFO job in the BC interior mountains. 15ft diameter impeller on the front of a loader / dump truck.

Pretty sure that thing launched snow about 100ft away. I'll see if I can find a photo somewhere on my phone. I know I've got a video somewhere also.

It's a work of art.

Snow falls. Plow comes through the main streets, then the secondary streets, then repeats until it's clear enough for circulation. Then they'll do tertiary streets.
Finally after a day or 2, they go by with these ginormous snowblowers (some kind of loader with a snowblower attachment) trucks to put the snow whether
a) on your 'lawn/property'
or if its already too high up
b) inside a dump truck rolling next to it until its full...and then another dump truck comes to continue getting loaded. The full dump truck goes to the closest snow depot where they simply dump the snow there.

Thats why most winters eventually you can't see peoples' houses and you can only see the roof :p
Also to limit the plowing they have to do, its quite common to see "tempo" garages put up for winter to avoid having to remove snow on your car and on part (or all) of your driveway. Just gotta remove the snow on top

Feeling all nostalgic now
The good old days. I remember as a kid in Manitoba looking up at the top of a snowdrift from a second story window. We only had hills in winter.

Not saying that I'm totally against the idea of electric tools for landscaping / snow removal.

Just don't think it's worth changing them over, when I have perfectly good tools available now.

The electric mowers / snow blowers would really help out with the timing of work to be done. Won't disturb the neighbours for sure. But I don't feel like swapping batteries multiple times as there's zero chance they would finish my yard / driveway in a single charge. If the snow blower I bought off @nobbie48 ends up dying, I'll look into an electric replacement. Until then, I'll just keep using it.

Not saying that I'm totally against the idea of electric tools for landscaping / snow removal.

Just don't think it's worth changing them over, when I have perfectly good tools available now.

The electric mowers / snow blowers would really help out with the timing of work to be done. Won't disturb the neighbours for sure. But I don't feel like swapping batteries multiple times as there's zero chance they would finish my yard / driveway in a single charge. If the snow blower I bought off @nobbie48 ends up dying, I'll look into an electric replacement. Until then, I'll just keep using it.
Swap in a 10 to 20 hp electric motor and extension cord and plug it into your EV outlet. Lots of power, not much noise. Heavy bastard though.

I would not advocate getting rid of equipment that operates before it’s life is up . But those wankers on my street with the backpack blowers at 147 decibels from 8am - 6pm , 5 days a week? Those Fers can go

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Swap in a 10 to 20 hp electric motor and extension cord and plug it into your EV outlet. Lots of power, not much noise. Heavy bastard though.
Not gonna lie...that's something I would have NEVER considered doing.

I keep getting poo pooed by some friends that are on me about my gas powered 'pollution machine'. Same guys that pooed on me for using a gas leaf blower, mower, and trimmer.

They say I should sell everything and use battery powered tools to save the environment.

Give me a snow blower that can blow through a 9 car driveway that's electric powered on 1-2 batteries and I'm in.
The Ryobi with two X 40 volt batteries did my driveway, some sidewalk and the neighbor's double drive across the street but that snowfall wasn't as bad. If the handle / switches weren't crap I would still have it. Since the need is so rare it's hard to get a comparison. I don't think you could have rented a twin 40V yesterday for any money and another test day might be five years coming. The windrows could have been a problem.

Buddy likes his Toro electric. How many battery platforms do you want when the batteries are hundreds each? A universal battery would do much but every charger, tool and battery has internal controls that are tuned to the brand.

As far as pollution goes it would be interesting to research lithium ion and rare earth materials from the cradle to the grave along with the political dependencies.

Not gonna lie...that's something I would have NEVER considered doing.

Short bursts of certain noises are OK. A friend has a six cylinder outboard and at the end of the season he cuff flushes the cooling system in his driveway. Sounds like a CBX. A few minutes is enough though.

Back
Top Bottom