Been stuck in the same spot at 404/401 for 30 mins | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Been stuck in the same spot at 404/401 for 30 mins

10+ years of the ARIENS mower in Wasaga and I’ve never snapped a shear pin there either. And the snow drifts there are massive as we go rarely and have to break through the ice that the snowplows leave.

Highest was 5-6ft to break through. Took me 3hrs.
I have a small Ariens SnoTec, 6.5 HP IC engine, 22 x24" cut, only 1 speed forward (no complex tranny). At 90lbs , starts first pull (never used electric start) and chews a 22" x 20" high path of snow like a badger. For the amount of snow we get annually it's a champ.

Cable busted on my garage door. Guess I should have preemptively replaced mine when I did my wifes. Installed her old one that wasnt broken as a temporary fix. Will get new cables today. Opener is ****** as closing the door requires probably 40 lbs of down pressure. Will fix that once the new cables are on.
My brother was fixing a garage door and replacing the tension spring. He had both hands tightly wrapped around it stretching it when the other end snapped. Fists full of blood blisters and I'm glad I wasn't there to hear the language.

My brother was fixing a garage door and replacing the tension spring. He had both hands tightly wrapped around it stretching it when the other end snapped. Fists full of blood blisters and I'm glad I wasn't there to hear the language.
Nope, nope, nope. No skin in the possible line of force. Make sure that if it goes, it pulls away from you.

It sounds like your brother was dealing with a single panel door. I havent had to work on one of those. I have no idea what the safest procedure is for replacing a tension spring. I suspect a hooked spring puller to grab the loop and a blanket over the top to absorb some energy if it pops.

Nope, nope, nope. No skin in the possible line of force. Make sure that if it goes, it pulls away from you.

It sounds like your brother was dealing with a single panel door. I havent had to work on one of those. I have no idea what the safest procedure is for replacing a tension spring. I suspect a hooked spring puller to grab the loop and a blanket over the top to absorb some energy if it pops.
Always ask "If something goes wrong how much will it hurt or cost?" Yes, one piece.

A contractor in Belleville was using a nylon rope to pull a heavy cable out of a conduit. The rope was about 70 feet long so I stood 90 feet away and yup his guy ended up with welts on his legs.

Garage door springs have claimed many fingers , I have 16” tapered steel bars to wind the tension and a 30” multi layer canvas sheet you hang over the spring nailed to framing about to catch anything that goes . They are pretty dangerous to the uninitiated.

Please never replace a shear pin with a grade anything bolt . If your snapping pins you have exceeded the limit of the machine .
It’s a slippery slope to putting old Pennys in your fuse box .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I may pick up one of those small electric shovels for our deck and front stairs. Can’t get the big snowblower up there.
I have a snow joe electric shovel for the deck it is awesome was at princesses auto for 20 bucks in the summer. Just make sure you store it above freezing or it gets ice in the drive and won't go

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

V8 powered snowblowers. Love at 1st sight.
MPG likely sucks, but who cares?

I like it but in reality it can't use the HP at that speed. There would be some complex calculations to determine its max speed at full intake of snow.

I like it but in reality it can't use the HP at that speed. There would be some complex calculations to determine its max speed at full intake of snow.
If you want to use more hp, increase the speed of stage two to throw it further. By-laws normally say you can't put it on the road but I haven't seen anything that says you can't put your driveway snow in your backyard. A family member has a shared driveway in toronto and they need to blow from beside the house to near the street, then blow again from near the street to the front patch of grass and repeat. If they could just blow the snow over the house it would save them a lot of time.

EDIT:

Based on the videos, they run them just off idle. Boo. Not unexpected but really dumb. At the very least they could have built cabs and use the rad heat to let you blow in comfort (and keep the windows clear).

It gets complex. Assume a fast walking pace at X feet per minute and an intake 3 feet by 2 feet = Y cubic feet of snow at some given density. Any surplus HP would be available for "Disbursement". It may require a third stage for compression. The nozzle design gets critical to keep the snow focused for distance and to prevent jamming.Some variable ratio power splitter may be required to maximize power usage if this becomes a P****** contest.

Obviously I don't have much to do at the moment.

Solved my snowblower traction problems….also discovered why I was so tired clearing the driveway. The traction cable was slack so that was an easy fix…also found out that both shear pins had gone on the auger but there was just enough friction to throw the powder we had dumped but not really the deep stuff…which was making me think it was traction. Anyway, all sorted now and I got a nice workout yesterday muscling the beast through the deep stuff . $27 at Cambodian Tire for a bunch of shear bolts is daylight robbery though.

I think I need to make some adjustment. The right shear pin keeps snapping but the left is all good. Snapped today pretty quick.

Maybe that side is a bit lower and the auger is hitting (not hurting!) the metal housing. Will do some investigating.

Last edited:
You pushed a snowblower with a not really spinning auger around for an evening and $27 shear pins are your concern? You probably burn $30 in gas .

I’m very good at learning by my mistakes. You should see the first floor I ever put down. I went out this evening and cleared away the end of driveway muck before it freezes into blocks tonight. Blower worked like a champ.

If your snapping pins something isn’t right , it may just be friction, how long since the bearing on the auger ends ever saw grease ?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

What? I've never snapped a pin. My machine started first pull this year. Last year it gave me grief. Two pulls.

My MTD came with 2 spare shear pins. They are still in the plastic bag with the manual and the little sachet of powdered fuel stabalizer hanging on the wall in the shed. I did break a shear pin 20 years ago with a rolled up newspaper. The shed was blocked by snow, so i used a grade 5 bolt from my coffee can bolt collection.
hl0TA7e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom